Zumba

Options
Does any one here do Zumba? :heart: I took one class to check it out and love it!! :heart: I can't sing its praises enough. I bought the DVD total set and have done at least one dvd, every day since.
I wonder if I can find out how many calories I am burning? Anyone have a good way to judge? I haven't done much exercise for the past year so my body is totally not pretty when I try to do the dances. :blushing:
I am sore around the midsection since most is done with the core, but I keep doing it. I have only had it about a week and already lost an inch around my hips. :love:
I can't afford body bugg unless someone is willing to donate one! Have a great day!:bigsmile:

I love Zumba!

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be trying it in 2 weeks at a nearby studio, I can't wait!! Perhaps try googling zumba - calories burned. Otherwise maybe sparkpeople.com have it in there database?
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    I'm trying it this thursday, can't wait. No idea on calories though.
  • candicedawnwilliams
    Options
    I love zumba classes and it always feels like a great work out when I am done. I think it would fall under the dancing/aerobics category under the exercise tab.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I tried the intro disc today and logged as low impact aerobics. There were a lot of short breaks. I will try an actual workout and give you my opinion on what to log it as over the weekend. It was lots of fun :bigsmile: . If you do some of the jumping moves, maybe log as regular aerobics. If you do all of the jumping, then try high impact aerobics. My knees wont take all that jumping - modification of technique comes with age :blushing: Have you considered a heart rate monitor?
  • Alyxw
    Alyxw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've got the dvd's too but I haven't been able to give them a good go yet. I have a 1 and 2 year old and they want me to pick them up and dance with them whenever I put zumba on lol so trying to get up and do it in the mornings.

Whats your fave workout off the dvds?
  • faithcmom1
    Options
    Zumba is the only thing I like right now. I checked out a Jazzercise class awhile back and liked it, but I didn't really feel moved by the music. For now, I want something for home so I can slim down before venturing out into a classroom atmosphere again. Without realizing it classmates hold you accountable if you don't show they miss you, but that's after the fact, and I never had a close enough relationship with any of my classmates to support each other outside the class. I don't like to go to the gym. I don't like the stares and judgement. So I am loving the latin rhythms and beats, I love the dances. The leader Beto is cool too.

My favorite dvd right now is the Cardio Party. I have done the Zumba live DVD too. Great stuff. I am focusing on the High energy DVD's right now. I LOVE IT!:heart::love: :heart: :smooched: :bigsmile: :blushing:
  • teb1215
    Options
    I went to my first class tonight and LOVEDDDDDDDDD it! I have been working out for the past 10 days every day and that was BY FAR the most intense fat burning exercise I've done in 60 minutes.

After it was over, I was all red and sweaty and she told us we just burned 700 calories. I believe it!

Seriously...if you have a class near you, go...it's freakin awesome! And I was the heaviest chick in the class at 250lbs and I still did every single move, so don't let anything hold you back!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I've only worn my HRM once to class, and in 55 minutes, I burned 616 calories! I worked my tail off though ;)
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I just did the 20 min express DVD and logged it as reg aerobics. I felt it was more of a work out than the low impact DVDs I have been doing. I looked at the dance aerobic numbers and they are an even lower cal burn than low impact aerobics. Maybe I'll get one of my HR monitors working and let you know how it compares.

ZUMBA rocks :love:
  • romst19
    romst19 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I did a zumba class that I LOVED, and burned 425 calories in 45 minutes. I took another class with an instructor who was terrible - she took a lot of breaks and picked really low energy songs- and I only burned 250 calories in an hour. It really depends on you (your age, weight, etc.), and how much energy you exert in the class.
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba dvd's and I love them. My fav is the live cardio party tied with the abs one. In about 45 mins I burn about 650 cals.
  • faithcmom1
    Options
    Victoria,

Whatever you can do to help with tracking the calorie burn, would be great!! Thanks a bunch! Can't afford a bodybugg just yet.
    :bigsmile:
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm a zumba instructor and they hooked me up to a polar a few times. On an average I burn about 750 calories minimum during a 1 hour workout. It's soooo good for you, and it feels like a party :) I'm so glad you like it!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I just went to a class today, the instructor there said when she wears her HRM is says she burns about 600. So I'm sure just like everything else it depends on heigh/weight/endurance and so on. I did find an average on a website that said for 154# person 1 hour work out burns 536 calories. I'm 152 currently, so I took 152/154 which gave me .99. Then take the .99 and multiply it by the 536 which gave me 530. Obviously not much of a diff. from the first but just an example of how you can figure it out for your weight!... plus I'd rather be under than over

Thought about buying an HRM.. but I've made it this far without one.. so Maybe I'll save my money!
  • justin_time
    Options
    Take a look at http://www.zumbacalories.com enter your weight, workout duration & intensity and it will calculate how many calories you have burned based on average metabolic rates