Losing Weight-but Gaining loose Skin. How to prevent?

Options
How to do this? Are there any preparations one can do to prevent loose skin? I have 40-50 pounds to lose and am wondering if that's possible to prepare the skin.

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Lose weight slowly and strength train. I've lost over 50 lbs in 2 years and have no loose skin.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss (aim for 1lb/week) and incorporating strength training. Neither are a guarantee that you won't have any, but by doing this you will def. have less than if you had a large deficit and did no strength training.
  • siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Now i dont know from experience, this might just be an old wife's tale:P but my mom always said to eat liver because its good for the skin.
    I hate liver so i havent tried it, but she swears by it ;) but even if it doesnt work, it is nice and healthy anyway so you cant lose!
  • lizmannn
    Options
    I would guess that lots of toning and strength exercises alongside a steady weight loss would help a bunch, even if it doesn't fully prevent it -- good luck!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    lose slowely - 1 lbs a week max
    strenght trainig
    and lotion (can be a cheap one, but take time to put it on - massage your skin when you apply it)
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Lots of toning, strength training and water!!!
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a lotion that is made for post pregnancy and post weightloss folks. It claims to help refirm the skin. I haven't quite used it yet, I'm not big on lotion. But I thought I'd put it out there!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Lose weight slowly and strength train. I've lost over 50 lbs in 2 years and have no loose skin.

You're lucky, I lost my first 50 pounds over 5 years and had plenty of extra skin. There really isn't much you can do. People on here, and in general, will tell you otherwise, but when it comes down to it, genetics/biology plays a big role in skin elasticity. How long you carried the extra weight plays a role too, but there isn't much you can do about that at this point.

Oh and people love to give strength training as a solution, but unless you intend to build up enough muscle to fill in the skin, that's not going to do you much good. I'm about 80 pounds down from my high weight, and it would be basically impossible, not to mention completely undesirable, for me to put on enough muscle to "fill in" my extra skin.

My best advice is to remind yourself that being a healthy weight with extra skin is far better than being significantly overweight. If it really bothers you that much, once you are at your goal weight for a year or more, you can consider surgery.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options

You're lucky, I lost my first 50 pounds over 5 years and had plenty of extra skin. There really isn't much you can do. People on here, and in general, will tell you otherwise, but when it comes down to it, genetics/biology plays a big role in skin elasticity. How long you carried the extra weight plays a role too, but there isn't much you can do about that at this point.

Oh and people love to give strength training as a solution, but unless you intend to build up enough muscle to fill in the skin, that's not going to do you much good. I'm about 80 pounds down from my high weight, and it would be basically impossible, not to mention completely undesirable, for me to put on enough muscle to "fill in" my extra skin.

My best advice is to remind yourself that being a healthy weight with extra skin is far better than being significantly overweight. If it really bothers you that much, once you are at your goal weight for a year or more, you can consider surgery.

I must admit--I'm afraid. I have never been this heavy before--and when I lost weight before-- it was 15 pounds here or there--no loose skin. This is the first time... I need to lose..substantial weight... at least--40 pounds. Then I'd be 120. Then maybe I could lose the last 10 even more slowly. Would going to a dermatologist help?
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Hey hun. I was asking this for my DIL because she had 4 babies in 5 yrs and has loose skin on tummy. Response that made since included a web site, http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx , but it can take up to 2 yrs, and use vitamin creams. No quick fixes. Sorry.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hey hun. I was asking this for my DIL because she had 4 babies in 5 yrs and has loose skin on tummy. Response that made since included a web site, http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx , but it can take up to 2 yrs, and use vitamin creams. No quick fixes. Sorry.

Hey! I will start now! GREAT ADVICE THERE ON THAT WEB~ THANKS ALL!

Right now this is what I'm doing

1. I dry brush my skin to tone it --
    2. I go in the wet sauna or steam room and rub the skin hard and briskly with a wet terry cloth towel
    3. Slather on lotion
    4.Drink Water

Here's what else I will do
    Weight train as suggested on this thread
    Pilates classes for the tummy
    Vitamin E oil
    Coco butter
    Exfoliate with rough gloves
    Wear support clothes to hold skin close to the body
    Lose weight slowly

Okay...we'll see :huh:
  • katweeks63
    Options

2. I go in the wet sauna or steam room and rub the skin hard and briskly with a wet terry cloth towel
    3. Slather on lotion
    4.Drink Water

Vitamin E oil
    Coco butter
    Lose weight slowly

Sounds like a plan.
  • angie_carol
    angie_carol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a good plan so far. I have a lotion made for post-weight loss / post-pregnancy (8 months post partum here). I don't know if it is really working all that well but i have noticed the stretch marks on my tummy are lighter. i use a shaper cami that holds the jiggly belly in. It makes me feel more confident & "smooth".
  • Strength train.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    How to do this? Are there any preparations one can do to prevent loose skin? I have 40-50 pounds to lose and am wondering if that's possible to prepare the skin.

Even if you lose weight slow like I did you will still have lose skin. Everyone is different but the older you get the less elastic your skin is. Hydration with drinking water and good lotion. I've had kids and so that doesn't help either. Mainly just give the skin time to adjust after weight loss, then take it from there.

Of course simply eating healthy helps all parts of your body including skin regeneration. :)
  • wendytc
    wendytc Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would also try supplementing with Biotin as it is a building block for healthy skin, hair and nails. Andrew Lessman/ProCaps labs has a really good one: http://www.procapslabs.com/Products/details.aspx?Healthy+Hair,+Skin+&+Nails%u2122

I agree that genetics is a big factor. My mother had "thin" skin, but my sister has "thicker" and more supple skin. Guess who inherited my mother's "thin" skin. Me. :sad:

But I am losing slowly, eating well (hardly any processed food) and eliminated wheat which also accelerates skin aging, so hopefully, I can keep my skin tight as I progress along the way. Good Luck!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    In the last 10 lbs or so i've started noticing loose skin on my upper thighs. Thankfully thats the only place so far. I do agree with previous poster that a lot of it is genetics.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    tHOnpgaW0E2mwED2o2PfCA2.jpg

ok... I nearly died when you said 'prepare the skin'

In all seriousness though... I agree with the other posts. This can be a big issue, but lotions due help and strength training is key. In some cases, especially where there's a lot of excess weight and has been for a long time, sometimes surgery is required to remove it. Everyone's different and it depends on a lot of factors, like skin elasticity, age, etc. Best of luck - a lot of us are in that same boat.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're probably losing weight too fast. While I agree that it is a good problem to have (wink!), it is a problem nontheless. Slow it down and allow your skin to catch up. Strength training will help a lot.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

3. Slather on lotion
    4.Drink Water

Vitamin E oil
    Coco butter
    Lose weight slowly

Make sure you get your vitamin C every day too. It's essential for collagen production.