For the runners: How much do you run a week?

Options

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I average 20 miles per week, I try to run 5 times a week. Fitness level is intermediate. I've been running approximately 28 years.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I average about 40km (25 miles) per week of running and would consider myself an intermediate runner (I've been running for about 4 1/2 years) My longest race, so far, has been a half-marathon.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just to give a perspective from a newer runner....

Fitness level: Novice!
    Mileage per week: 9 1/2 to 12 1/2
    Length of time running: 8 weeks

I have one more day of Couch to 5k. I like to get a 5k+ in each workout. I can run two straight miles, walk a 1/4 mile, then run the remaining 3/4 (and a smidge) to finish out the 5K distance. I run every other day.
  • brun73
    brun73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually run every other day. I average about 3.5 miles a run, but I'm getting ready to bump the distance up. I just ran my second 5k yesterday, ran it in 30:40 which was down from 37:36 in June. I'm going to start training tomorrow for a 10k in November.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    30 miles a week.
    Fitness level - rebuilding.

I'm coming back from knee surgery for a non-running related injury, and that is requiring an extremely conservative increase in mileage. Before injury I had done largely distance races - a couple of 50 milers, marathons, halfs. Now I'm focusing on 5ks for a year or so. Not sure I'll ever go beyond the marathon distance again, which will probably mean a top of 50-60 per week.
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    Length of time running: 1 1/2 years (Intermediate-Ish Level)
    While training for an event: 20-30 miles per week (running 5-6 days per week)
    While not training: 15-20 miles per week (running 4-5 days per week)

Cool thread! It's great to see how many runners of varying levels we've got on here.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've only been running since the end of May, so about 4 month-ish? I try to go 3 times a week and I'm building up my mileage. My average is around 3 miles. Today I ran 4 for the first time. So.....9-12 miles per week? Someday I'll get closer to 20-30....
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I just started and am going for three runs a week. Two runs of 3-4 miles each, and one run of 5-6 miles for a total of up to 11-14 miles per week. You have to build mileage slowly so you won't get burned out. Also very important to rest every other day to protect your joints. Start with 2-3 mile runs and progress from there.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Fitness level: Intermediate (low end). I am ramping back up after a multi-year running hiatus and training for my first half, then full marathon since 2009. Right now I am running anywhere between 20-30 miles a week, 5-6 times a week.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would say that many of these people responding really run a lot, relative to average.
    I'd say if you run more than 20 miles a week, you cannot consider yourself a beginner or of intermediate fitness.
    To run 20 miles in a week, you probably do at least one five mile run. If you can do five miles, you can extend runs beyond that without injuring yourself and without too much trouble.
    If you run more than 30 miles a week, you are probably someone who is competing, at least against yourself, and someone who is working hard to get better and better.
    My wife runs a lot of races, and I would guess that it is a rare week, and a serious training week, at that, that she goes over 40 miles a week.
    I can go for eight mile runs, and often do, and I rarely run 32 miles in a week. (I do lots of other types of exercise too.)
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Been running since April, started from absolutely nothing.

I now run about 30-40 miles per week although last week was an injury recovery week (only 18 miles). Long runs are @ 11 miles.

Fitness level: I would say intermediate. I run 4 days a week, do body weight stuff 3 times a week, and swim 2ce. There is certainly more room for improvement, but I am far better off than I was in April.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    5.7 mi (just happens to be 4 loops around the neighborhood) 6-7 days a week in the evening (sometimes longer on the weekend)

started about yr ago after I quit smoking.

my general rule is unless my knees or something else are really hurting, then I run, otherwise I may take a day or two (no more) off to let everything heal up (in the beginnning I needed the two days break)
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I just started running less than month ago. I try to run 3-4X week doing 3 mile runs. So thats about 9-12 miles week. By the end of the month, I want to start increasing to 4 mile runs.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    45 - 60 miles per week, all year long

I generally run 6 - 7 day a week, been running for 10+ years now
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Started running as a total noob in December 2010, so I'm not very advanced, but I'd say I'm pretty damn fit. I run 3x a week, sometimes 4. I lift 3x a week, too. Average about 15 miles a week, sometimes a little more.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    20-33 miles per week
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I try to run two to three times per week. It adds up to around 4 kms... which I know isn't much but it's a LOT for me. :) The rest of the time I walk or dance.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Fitness level: Recovery from injury

I have been running seriously for about 3 years now. I am just ramping back up so I am doing about 6 miles a week. As cross training while I rebuild lost muscle I cycle about 50 miles a week.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 8 years, usually run 4x a week, and 25-30 miles. Closer to 40 miles / week if I'm training for a marathon.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 days per week
    20-25 miles per week
    fitness level: intermediate