Meal options <300 cal.?

Options
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas under 300 calories? I am accustomed to planning dinner menus for my family, but plotting out my entire day in calories is new to me. My aim is to not fall prey to whatever food I can get my hands on. There is power in planning ahead. ;)

My breakfast options thus far (calories approximate):

200 cal. | poached egg over whole-grain toast, with or without 1 tsp. coconut oil as spread

230 cal. | whole-grain oats (1 c. cooked) with ground flaxseed (1 heaping tsp.) and honey (<1 T.)

220 cal. | steel cut oats (1/4 c. uncooked) with honey (<1 T.)

300 cal. | quinoa (1/2 c. cooked) with honey (<1 T.)

... <-- the point where my inspiration died and I noticed a porridge redundancy

Replies

• al142005
    al142005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I discovered these wonderful lil things dubbed Eggins on a blog (fervent foodie):

Take a muffin tin or muffin top pan, spray it with nonstick spray, fill with canadian bacon and pour a mixture of egg whites, dash of H2O, hot sauce, s&p and a lil parm on top. Bake them at 350 for 20-30 minutes (keep an eye on em!) Serve with a bit of ketchup. YUM!!! and low calorie depending on your egg/egg white ratio.

Also smoothies are a great, quick breakfast. Toss in a banana, some unsweetened almond milk, some frozen fruit, spinach, and ice cubes. Blend, pour, enjoy!

One more i enjoy.... overnight oats (from the same blog)
    basically oats go into the fridge with some milk and fruit and cinnamon! in the morning you can warm it up or eat it cold. delicous!
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I salute you, fellow foodie. ;)

Your "Eggins" sound like a slimmed-down version of "egg cups," only without the yolk; a good on-the-go alternative to hard-boiled!

I love smoothies for the summer months, I'm less excited about downing them on cold winter mornings...which probably explains my porridge fascination above (which your suggestion of overnight oats only encouraged, hehee). I wonder if a warm fruit and veg soup would be an edible variation. ;-p

Thank you for your response! :)
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    1 slice of wholegrain or mulitgrain bread with almond butter...190calories...

i have this mostly every morning as it is also a great pre-workout meal...plus, its quick!

another good breakfast is what i call an egg white vegie scramble...

two egg whites, 2 tablespoons of Almond or Soy Milk, then whatever vegies you like...i chop some spinach, spring onion, baby bell peppers, a little diced tomato and some sliced mushrooms...season with red chili flakes and some pepper...i also sometimes add some cooked, diced cooked chicken breast tossed in a little pesto...

not sure of the calories on that but im sure that it would be under 300 calories!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com I get a lot of my recipes from there.

I like making Huevos Rancheros Burritos for breakfast.

Tortilla, refried beans, scrambled egg beaters, red and green bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp. cheddar. Yummy.

I make other breakfast burritos but omit the beans and replace with crumbled turkey sausage.
  • jdploki70
    Options
    I usually eat a bagel thin (everything bagel), slice of cheese, and a couple slices of deli cut turkey or ham. Whole thing is 200-210 calories (depending on the meats and cheese) and extremely tasty besides. Never could get into the grains for breakfast thing, even as a kid.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com I get a lot of my recipes from there.

I like making Huevos Rancheros Burritos for breakfast.

Tortilla, refried beans, scrambled egg beaters, red and green bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp. cheddar. Yummy.

I make other breakfast burritos but omit the beans and replace with crumbled turkey sausage.
    ^^This, skinnytaste.com has some of the best recipes.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Most of my meals turn out to be around 300 calories without me even intendeding them to be. Soups are usually less than 300, for example.
  • cliq2000
    Options
    I am in the same boat, and it is hard to cut our cals and yet still feed those bottomless pits of the boys, sad to say. Salads are always a great solution, so good, fresh, and an endless supply of veggie and fruit options right at your local grocery or fruit stand. My family loves these and we use them at almost every meal as what I like to call "FILL EM UPPERS"...LOL. Find out which ones are lowest in calories, and just go for it. Experimentation is key. Also, soups are really great too. Im startin experimenting with gazpachos now, although im not a big fan of them, i think in my own combos they will b great. And purees seem to be a great option as sides too. Good luck with it! Another FOODIE!!!!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Umm my usual?

3 eggs + fish, or 3 eggs + some meat, or 3 plain eggs, or 2 egg omelette with no cheese and meat..

Yes, before you ask, I eat eggs every day....

Umm other meal options? Tuna cans with salad...

You try eating a WHOLE can and not feeling full.... I mean if your still hungry after a WHOLE can then there something wrong...

Snacks? Crackers + cheese usually like 110/140c for 3 + cheese, maybe 160c with peanut butter for 3....

Toast + peanut butter, toast like 80c peanut butter one Tbsp is like 95c.... make even a sandwich for under 300...

There are plenty ideas, heck even sushi or sashimi :D
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Protein shake made with one scoop and one cup of whole, organic milk 290 cals. Add a tablespoon of flax meal for 15 cals and some fiber. This is my breakfast most mornings.

Smoothie made with greek yogurt, berries, and flax.

3 scrambled eggs with 1 oz of cheddar: 310 cals (use lowfat to get it under)

2 scrambled eggs, one piece of bacon, a handful of spinach, and 1 oz of cheddar: 300 cals

Open faced turkey sandwich w/ 1 pc sourdough, .25 avacado, 4oz turkey, one slice bacon, lettuce, and tomato: 312 cals

Almost any progresso/campbells soup. 200-350 a can

1oz beef jerky + .5 avacado + string cheese: 280 cals

chicken breast, salad, and berry/fruit for desert

• senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    BREAKFAST - this morning my breakfast was 2 pieces of sara lee 100% whole wheat with honey (45 caloroes & delightful) bread with JIF peanut butter (290 calories). Sometimes I have a hard boiled egg and a piece of fruit (usually right around 200 calroies). Sometimes I have a chobani greek yogurt and a piece of sara lee (mentioned above) toast (anywhere from 200-300 calories depending on if I use a spead of some sort on the toast). Sometimes I have Special K Chocolatey Delight cereal with light soy milk.

LUNCH - Most days I make a salad of romaine, celery, bell or sweet peppers, raw mushrooms, baby carrots sliced, beets, glazed pecan pieces and I add either whiet meat chicken, hard boiled egg or tuna for protein. If I have it on hand I also add avocado and cherry tomatoes. I rotate through a variety of dressings to keep it different Z(whole thing is usually between 275-300 calories). Sometimes I have a Healthy Choice Steamers meal (most are under 300 calories).

DINNER - I have no dinner options under 300 calories. But fish and steamed veggies are very low cal and great for you. Also, Ruby Tuesdays and Applebee's both have menu options under 500 calories.

EDIT - I meant HONEY not HINEY (hehehe)
  • MommaSpunk
    Options
    bumping because i need help too
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    Here's what I like to eat that fits with you <300 cal goal:

Breakfast Options:
    *Oikos Greek yogurt - 1st choice is key lime. 2nd is raspberry (160 cal & lots of protein!)
    *Thomas lite multi grain english muffin (100 cal & lots of fiber!) with 1/2 T of natural pb on each half (another 90 cal).

Lunch Options:
    *Pickled Egg sliced up on reduced fat ritz crackers. With salt, pepper, and tobasco. (about 140 cals, high protein).
    *Homemade lean chili with lots of beans!
    *PB&J and an apple. Calories vary drastically depending on your bread and quantities.

Dinner Options:
    *Slice up chicken breast into thin strips and "fry" up with onions & green peppers and spices. Serve in a medium tortilla with a dollop of mashed avocado & lettuce. (around 250 cals depending again on portions).
    *soups! I love love love soup when it's cold and you can make just about any kind of soup very healthy and serve it with a hearty whole wheat crusty bun for a meal around 300 cals.

I also like to have cereal & milk for something easy when I'm by myself. Any time of day.

Just a couple very quick/easy/simple ideas of things I eat regularly :)
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    What does it mean when people type: bump, or bumping to a post?
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Check out my lunch from today (my diary is public).

Basically, half a can of tuna, mixed with 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and 2 tsp of olive oil, over a cup of greens (I like baby spinach and arugula). Plus a banana. 286 cals.

Shunggie...bumping means that they are either making it current (ie. bumping it up to the top of the "Recent posts" list), or just posting to the thread so that it shows up in their "My Topics" so they can easily find it and refer to it later.
  • tshilow
    Options
    I currently am obsessed with Garden Lite Veggie Soufflés - I believe they are only 150 calories. You can get them at Costco. They are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

http://www.garden-lites.com/
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I like to spread out the food groups covered and do Dave's Killer Bread Powerseed as toast with Fage Greek Yogurt and berries, or the same toast with two egg whites and kirkland lean ham and a low sodium V8 juice...
    For lunch... Orowheat multigrain sandwich thin with flax lettuce, tomato, avocado, mustard, and turkey, ham or pastrami or a salad with tuna or salmon... and a piece of fruit or serving of berries or grapes... I usually eat under 300 calories for each meal with an occasional burst to 600 for dinner... two or three snacks of 100 calories each keep the blood sugar even throughout the day...
    For dinner... the options under or just over 300 calories are nearly endless... Firm tofu and stir fried vegetables or italian fish stew or even beef fajitas are all great low calorie options... find your favorite light options and explore how to cut even more calories from it... Many ethnic cuisines keep the food interesting and light in calories... Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Mexican, Italian, Nigerian, Greek, Filipino, Chilean, Vietnamese, and French cuisines have all been adapted in the past two weeks in my house to give options under 500 calories for dinner... I haven't had over 1300 calories for a day in the past two weeks and I don't feel hungry and I have definitely enjoyed my food. I eat at least five servings of whole grain, three servings of vegetables, three servings of fruit, a serving of beans, a serving of onions, a mushroom, and a serving of nuts/seeds everyday. My hunger is non-existant and I have dropped 68.5 pounds in 10 weeks...
  • MLT314
    MLT314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump...I need to save these for later!