I lost 60 lbs at age 51, Anyone Can, Any Workout

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You look great. My quesstion is. DId you use MFP at all????

I use it all the time now but didn't start until I floundered with maintenance. I had a phobia about tracking calories because I'm old school and have these really bad memories of pen and note pad, calorie books and calculators. So I actually lost weight just eating less (probably 1000 calories) and it took me two years. Before you panic about those calories I am SMALL. The calories you eat is a direct relation to your size! I hate that everyone gets hung up on 1200 calories on here. That is just plain silly. 1200 is too little for big people and barely under RMR for someone small like me.

The progress went quicker when I found Eat Stop Eat and it changed my life. I notice a lot of people here on MFP are finding a lot of luck with other Intermittent Fasting programs as well.

Anyway I finally decided to try this tool and I'm glad I did. It helps me maintain for life and I wish I had gotten over my calorie phobia sooner because it probably would have helped me. But just eating less worked too.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    You are so inspiring! I think you have literally changed my life! Thank you so much for posting your story and the pictures. You look absolutely amazing and definitely look 20+ years younger than your age! I'm only 18, but I want to be just like you because you really have the ideal body! Thank you so much!!! :)
    I have always neglected strength training and I never took portion control into much consideration. What do you normally eat each day? Are there any strength training plans you recommend for me?

You are welcome to look at my diet. It's open. There are lots of weight training programs, many free or cheaper than what I use. I personally liked The Venus Index because of the goals for proportions based on PHI and those goals pushed me beyond what I thought I was capable of and for $40 it was well worth it just for that, but the workout is fun, simple, hard, can be done at home or at the gym. John Barban designed it especially to make a woman's shape her best "The focus is proportions and shape (rather than weight loss at all costs or building muscle like a guy)". It was the best $40 I ever spent. But I'm sure there are plenty of other workouts for women, I would recommend a full body free weight program that does a lot with legs.
  • northernlights907
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. This was probably the most inspiring story I've ever read on here. You look amazing.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. This was probably the most inspiring story I've ever read on here. You look amazing.

Thank you. And thank you everyone else for your kind words.
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    there is nothing for me to add...everyone has already said it! WOW!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    you amaze me SOOOO much!!!
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    AMAZING! Congrats!
  • FlamingJune67
    FlamingJune67 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations."

^^^ This is the most insightful thing I have ever read on mfp!!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am so going to work that much harder after seeing your transformation! Fantastic wow
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration! I want to look like you!!! :)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    You look great, congrats!
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting... I am 50 an on my journey... I'm down 11 lbs 3 weeks in... it's very inspirational to see someone else my age who has done it! you look amazing and you have a fantastic attitude!
  • 2chubby4now
    2chubby4now Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well done. You have given me hope and inspiration.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    wow!!!
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's really all I can say!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Might have to look into this!!
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    BM to read later.
  • initforlife_clc
    Options
    I'm speechless! You look fantastic!!! Wonderful job, you are inspiring :)!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Wonderful write-up! Very inspiring! Congrats on your success!
  • mollyvon
    mollyvon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump for later, inspiring
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!