Another IIFYM post?

Options

Replies

• dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    great post

you should have titled it "is the person above you.....something or something"

would have gotten way more views.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    As an example, if your macros are: 2200kcal, 175p, 75f, 205c --- Go see how well you are able to hit this eating nothing but cheeseburgers (and I say this because typical internet arguments often degenerate into that nonsense).

Did some playing around with the recipe calculator

24 oz 93/7 ground beef 1,020 cals, 144g of pro
    4 whole foods pretzel rolls 560 cals 12g of pro
    2oz of cheddar 240 cals 14g of pro

Total 1,820 cals and 170g of pro

Add in 1.5lbs of broccoli for about another 190 cals and some micros and you'd have 190 cals left over ;P
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am actually astounded that no one has jumped in here to argue about this. Amazing! Is it too much to hope that folks are actually starting to understand the concept now?

Yeah, probably.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As an example, if your macros are: 2200kcal, 175p, 75f, 205c --- Go see how well you are able to hit this eating nothing but cheeseburgers (and I say this because typical internet arguments often degenerate into that nonsense).

Add in 1.5lbs of broccoli for about another 190 cals and some micros and you'd have 190 cals left over ;P

LOL
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    great post

you should have titled it "is the person above you.....something or something"

would have gotten way more views.

Does the person above you fit your macros?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get the concept, but here is why I think there is so much confusion on MFP about it.

1. It's so over- and mis-used. I'm quite sure that many people who use the term "IIFYM" in their posts do not understand it as you (OP) do. No matter the original intent of the acronym when coined, it now seems to have as many variations as "everything in moderation".
    2. Those that do understand it often post answers to those that don't understand it as if they believe they do or should already know everything that is explained in your post.
    3. Too much confusing information and misinformation about how macros should be set. It's hard to follow such a plan successfully when your macros are not set for your individual needs.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

OWNED! IIFYM Debunked!
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Following this for the past 4 months has definitely improved my eating. I wish that the website foodtracker had the handy dandy macro pie chart that the iPhone app has. I think more people might "get" it.
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carrieblue052
    carrieblue052 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Since there seems to be post after post of people completely missing the boat on IIFYM I thought I'd make my own attempt at clarifying.

IF IT FITS YOUR MACROS was originally phrased by Erick Stevens over at Bodybuilding.com and it was born as an answer to the continual questioning/debate as to whether or not one could eat a given food item without worrying about whether or not that food item would make you fat.

Example:

"Hey is it okay for me to have these two slices of bread?"
    "Dude what would happen if I went to McDonalds for lunch tomorrow?"

The general CONCEPT is that, ONE OF your main objectives in body recomposition is to set up reasonable macronutrients and put your emphasis on hitting these macronutrients by end of day. You should do so by selecting mostly whole and nutrient dense foods for micronutrient sufficiency and general satiety. As a general rule, one who is on IIFYM and doing it correctly will eat roughly 80+% whole foods with a potential discretionary calorie bank of about 20% of total intake.

For example, someone who is practicing IIFYM correctly may have a lot of vegetables, fruit, lean meats, eggs, chicken as the bulk of one day's intake. Then they might decide they'd like to treat themselves with a couple of cookies, or some chips, or whatever the case may be, and they end the day hitting all of their targets, eating a lot of what people would call "clean" foods, but also allowing themselves something they desire as a small portion of their total intake.

Does this mean you have to eat 20% crap? No. It means that it's in your best interest to limit your junk food to roughly 20% as a ceiling. Performance, personal preference, and satiety are all things that are considered and valued and that holds true for IIFYMers as much as it does for everyone else.

There are some catches here and it's unfortunate that people do not understand the concept, so internet arguments erupt non stop.

Generalizing here: your typical bodybuilder will have reasonably high protein intakes. They will usually have fat intakes in the .35-.75g/lb range. Given these macro restrictions (the protein, specifically), the allowed "space" to eat junk food is inherently minimized as is.

Hint: You CANT, and the more junk food you attempt to eat, the more your OTHER food sources have to be pigeon-holed into your remaining macro intakes if you plan on actually HITTING the numbers. If I want to hit my targets and go have a double cheeseburger from Five Guys, I have to REALLY restrict my food selection for the rest of the day to balance that out. As such, I don't do it often because satiety ranks high on my list. But I know that I CAN do it on occasion without having to worry about the effects that the individual meal may have on my body composition.

IIFYM is a great method for teaching people that in the presence of a varied and nutrient rich diet, the inclusion of some discretionary intake isn't going to be harmful provided that the total intake is appropriate.

Thanks for this
  • mvasallo
    Options
    At the risk of sounding dumb... I read through the pages & couldn't figure out the answer... but how do you figure out WHAT your macros should be? Is it what MFP originally gives you? Does it change as your body fat % does?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I get the concept, but here is why I think there is so much confusion on MFP about it.

1. It's so over- and mis-used. I'm quite sure that many people who use the term "IIFYM" in their posts do not understand it as you (OP) do. No matter the original intent of the acronym when coined, it now seems to have as many variations as "everything in moderation".
    2. Those that do understand it often post answers to those that don't understand it as if they believe they do or should already know everything that is explained in your post.
    3. Too much confusing information and misinformation about how macros should be set. It's hard to follow such a plan successfully when your macros are not set for your individual needs.

So after the multipoint critique, you find the OP helpful and usefull or no...?
  • mmapags
    Options
    At the risk of sounding dumb... I read through the pages & couldn't figure out the answer... but how do you figure out WHAT your macros should be? Is it what MFP originally gives you? Does it change as your body fat % does?

It does not change as your body fat changes. As a general rule, your priorities are as follows: protein: 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, fat .35 to .4 grams per lb of body weight, carbs for the balance. This may vary with your goals but is a decent starting point.
  • bcattoes
    Options

So after the multipoint critique, you find the OP helpful and usefull or no...?

Definitely helpful for those that read it. But unfortunately I doubt it will stop the general confusion and misinterpretation of IIFYM on MFP.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Definitely helpful for those that read it. But unfortunately I doubt it will stop the general confusion and misinterpretation of IIFYM on MFP.

But it's a good page to have bookmarked to link to when someone is confused or misinterpreting the concept. :happy:
  • bcattoes
    Options

It does not change as your body fat changes. As a general rule, your priorities are as follows: protein: 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, fat .35 to .4 grams per lb of body weight, carbs for the balance. This may vary with your goals but is a decent starting point.

That sounds like too much protein for most people. Bodybuilders may need that much, but the average person does not. If you don't use all that protein it's just going to overtask your kidneys .8 to 1 gram per kg of body weight or 25% of calories is probably safer for most people.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is 25% of calories, but since I consume about 2000 calories that's still 125g of protein. Plus 56g of fat and 250g of carbs.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

OWNED! IIFYM Debunked!
    Cheddar in a cheeseburger? Blasphemers.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

That sounds like too much protein for most people. Bodybuilders may need that much, but the average person does not. If you don't use all that protein it's just going to overtask your kidneys .8 to 1 gram per kg of body weight or 25% of calories is probably safer for most people.

While I agree that protein suggestions are usually higher than most need, but assuming no pre existing kidney conditions there isn't much evidence of damage from high protein intakes

High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2004, 1:45-51 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-1-45
    http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45#B4
    Indeed, the recent study Dawson-Hughes et al. did not confirm the perception that increased dietary protein results in urinary calcium loss.[36] According to Dawson-Hughes et al., "Theconstellation of findings that meat supplements containing 55 g/d protein, when exchanged for carbohydrate did not significantlyincrease urinary calcium excretion and were associated withhigher levels of serum IGF-I and lower levels of the bone resorption marker, N-telopeptide, together with a lack of significant correlationof urinary N-telopeptide with urinary calcium excretion in thehigh protein group (in contrast to the low protein) point tothe possibility that higher meat intake may potentially improvebone mass in many older men and women."

Finally, the cross-cultural and population studies that showed a positive association between animal-protein intake and hip fracture risk did not consider other lifestyle or dietary factors that may protect or increase the risk of fracture.[35] It is of some interest that the author of the most cited paper favoring the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis no longer believes that protein is harmful to bone.[34] In fact, he concluded that the balance of the evidence seems to indicate the opposite.
    Despite its role in nitrogen excretion, there are presently no data in the scientific literature demonstrating the healthy kidney will be damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). Furthermore, real world examples support this contention since kidney problems are nonexistent in the bodybuilding community in which high-protein intake has been the norm for over half a century.[3] Recently, Walser published comprehensive review on protein intake and renal function, which states: "it is clear that protein restriction does not prevent decline in renal function with age, and, in fact, is the major cause of that decline. A better way to prevent the decline would be to increase protein intake. there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals in order to protect the kidney."[4]

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[
  • mmapags
    Options

There is no kidney issue with this level of protein consumption is someone who does not have pre-existing kidney issues. If you believe there is, please cite proof sources. Additionally, my statement was "as a general rule" with the understanding that you may vary up or down from this based on your goals as I also stated.