Feeling sorry for myself....

Options
13»

Replies

• 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ones that say run till you can't and then fall asleep. Run in place in front of the tv,if you don't want to go out. Good luck,hugs.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    Eating all the bad things, chips, chocolate etc won't make the bad things that are happening dissapear. You'd just be adding to all the bad things because you most likely will feel guilty about eating those things.

Try and stay as positive as you can. Try and be active, for me it's a great stress reducer so hopefully that will help get you through this rough patch.

Good Luck!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this- I know many of us have been there, and often we have such down days/times in our lives. But the self sabotage that wreaks havoc on your body, nutrition as well in just a couple weeks if you don't see major gain- you will soon. And the thing is, the comfort of food, it doesn't last. You need to find something you like to do- fitness is best for the benefits of endorphins- find something you like - preferably fitness- if you have a gym that is affordable in your area- count the cost of the junk food- and invest in yourself. It will help you sleep better too- your stress and anxiety and bad diet are going to contribute to a host of problems you haven't anticipated- take care of you! Also if you can talk to your dr- seriously there may be some underlying issues affecting your sleep too
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that :( That sure is a lot to deal with at once

As raw as this may sound- none of that has anything to do with your weight & health. You have to remind yourself that despite all the outside things going on, sabotaging your inside isn't helping anyone or anything. In fact, taking care of yourself and bettering yourself physically (and emotionally) will probably have a better outcome for you and your family.

That being said, take the time you need to grieve and be easy on yourself. Remind yourself that even if you make only one positive change each day, you're ahead of the game.

good luck to you! :heart:

This is all really good advice. I honestly can't remember where I read it, I think it might have been on a friend's MFP profile, but there's a quote that goes 'If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution'. When you do feel like you want to eat a ton of 'bad' food, just remember that binging on isn't going to make all the problems you're currently facing go away. If anything, it's only going to make things worse in the long run, because you're going to inevitably feel guilty for having done it, further perpetuating the bad feelings you're currently experiencing. Fatty and/or sugary foods probably won't help with your sleep cycle either.

It's important to treat yourself, especially when you're going through a rough patch, but it's not a treat if it's done frequently and to excess. If you want to reward yourself with chocolate, fine, but keep it in moderation.

The suggestions of doing some form of physical activity you love are great ones too. It won't fix the problems you've been having, but I know going for a run (my favourite form of exercise) always really helps when my brain is muddled or I'm angry about something.

The things you've mentioned are things you can't really control and for that my heart goes out to you. Remember, though, that you can still control your health and fitness habits and if you feel well physically, your emotional well-being will often follow suit. Best of luck!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I can't run, so advice to run doesn't help me, don't know about you. But I do find that focusing on the positives, and then working out the sadness some way (I use loud music and deep cleaning) is really helpful. The trick is to keep busy moving forward so we don't move back. And it is really true, we cannot help our loved ones if our health falls apart (mental or physical) so it very important to take care of MOM! I am a comfort eater too, and am trying new ways to find comfort. Working out in my hot tub (half swimming bottom and top) then relaxing in the jets is one of my new ways of comforting myself. I turn on classical music, since I like that. I tend to use blues or jazz or even Glen Miller for cleaning- anything to help make me feel like moving. Also working HARD in my garden helps. And don't forget the benefits of sunshine! Good luck to you. I was unemployed for almost four years total, and I know the stress it causes! Oh, make sure to sign up for any food stamps or other assistance you are eligible for to save your cash reserves for other necessities!
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Exercise is a natural mood elevator. Keep up your exercise and force yourself to make better choices. It starts with 2 lbs. and can balloon quickly. Don't do this to yourself. It may take time but things will improve. I will pray for y'all.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Go run until you can't. Endorphins make you feel good, and you'll be more tired. :) We all live a storm or two. I am in the same place.

This!!!
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Excellent post. Take a few minutes to read the article above, and hope things turn around for you!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Lots have given you great advice. Eating out of control will not help you control the things around you. I really wish I could help. But since I cant, have you thought about trying something new? Maybe reading a new genre of books? Or trying a new workout video? Yoga and meditation might help you clear your head. Your local library could be a great resource. Maybe just going for a walk at a new park will help clear the cobwebs. In hard times Ive also turned to journaling.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to not let food be your "comfort" because food really doesn't care about comforting you. Food like the snacky items you mentioned actually will just end up hanging around your middle for a LONG time and makeing you UNCOMFORTABLE. I too am going through a CRAZY & STRESSFUL YEAR ( 3 deaths in the family, moving 3 times, 2 new jobs, getting divorced). what I decided to do is NOT eat because of it. I go for a walk instead of screaming or killing someone. I take my dog for a walk wheather she needs one or not at least once a day, & some days twice. (doggie isn't complaining about it at all) I get outside & look at the clouds, or the grass, or the houses on the street, or whatever... I get a lot of thinking & quiet time this way, I can pray & I find it makes me feel lots better than ANY kind of food ever did! I hope this helps you.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes, all of your responses has hit close to home. I know that over eating will not solve all of lifes problems, only cause regret, which will only add to the already stressful situation. Today I'm off to a good start though, and hope to keep the momentum going. Thanks again for all the great words of support. I'm moved beyond words by all of your kindness.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hope things are going a bit better for you! Hang in there!:wink: