Fun Exercise?

Options
Hi guys! What are some exercise you do that is fun, burn lots of calories and doesn't take a long time? I hate exercising :cry: so I need to approach it as a fun thing to do...

Replies

• irishchick874
    Options
    I do Zumba or Body Jam classes. fun and a great work out
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider fun.

There is bicycling, hiking, swimming, dancing, etc.
  • MerraH89
    Options
    i tried a free class of zumba but i feel like i'm so heavy and everything is jiggling,,, maybe i should do it by myself at home... i felt self-concious doing it at the gym =/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What is fun for some, is drudgery for others. I can't dance ... so Zumba is not right for me.

Keep trying new things ..... something will click for you. Look for videos at the library, or on Hulu.com .... learn something new. Netflix rental (by mail) has hundreds of DVDs. Go to collagevideo.com for a video clip preview .....that way you can narrow down rentals.

I really like using the Wii (Exerbeat, Gold's Gym cardio). Step aerobics (the simple kind) is fun for me. Yoga & pilates are great too.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    For me it would be hiking. I love to hike and you can burn a ton of calories going up a steep hill with a pack on. But, it sure is quick to jump on the elliptical and go like heck without having to drive very far:)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell is cardio and weights. Take a class tho, you can get hurt trying to learn on your own.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Just turning on some fast music and dancing your socks off!
  • momma712
    momma712 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do turbo jam by beach body I love it its like dancing mixed with kick boxing and they have a couple that are only 20 min!!!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell is cardio and weights. Take a class tho, you can get hurt trying to learn on your own.

I second kettlebell. I've used this website with some success. http://livefitrevolution.org/ (free videos with lots of instruction)

I've found Amazon to be the cheapest place to get kettlebells.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I only do fun things.

dancing
    spin
    road cycling
    paddleboarding
    heavy weights
  • MetamorphosisMe
    MetamorphosisMe Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Having problems with one knee, so for me cycling (stationary) is what I'm currently doing along with weight training. If you can put 45 to 60 minutes into it, you can reap a nice little caloric deficit. If you find that you'd get bored to easily with it, ride while watching tv or a dvd, just be sure to keep up a good pace (16 - 20 mph is pretty good). Or, ride a real bike outdoors and enjoy the scenery!

Good luck in finding what you like!
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    shoot i mix mine up.. I'll do pole dancing, spin classes, yoga, body step, body attack, body pump, boxing , now that its warming up will be adding swimming to it, also morning walks for 30-45mins with the dog and next year ill be doing karate as well , plus my weights just try to keep it fresh
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try a bunch of things! I hate Zumba. I don't think it's hard enough. Spin makes we want to cry. It's the thing nightmares are made of for me. BUT, I love any workout where the trainer screams at me. So, Insanity was right for me. That may not be right for you. Stay positive, find something you love, and try to do it 45-60 minutes a day, six days a week. Enjoy it!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The most important question is what you think is fun. I personally hate dancing so, the idea of something like Zumba would seem like a horrific suggestion to me. I also hate working out in groups, so classes would also likely be scorned. I'm okay with running since it's a high calorie burn, but it's not my first choice.

I personally enjoy strength training alone in my apartment fitness center. (yes, it forces me to use machines since I don't have a spotter, but I'm still getting stronger) I also enjoy kettebell DVDs for in home workouts on nights I don't feel like doing a full strength circuit, someone else is down there or I just don't want to deal with putting on any more than shorts and my sports bra.

For cardio and high calorie burn stuff, I really like the ARC trainer since it burns the same as running for me but I can zone out and watch Netflix on my phone plus it's low impact. And I also really like the stair mill (the one that's like an escalator) because it also burns about the same as running for me, it gets an awesome burn going in my butt and thighs and I can also zone out and watch Netflix. I also like comparing the relative number of floors I've climbed to famous tall buildings.

But you may prefer the elliptical to the ARC trainer or a class to working out alone. So we can't really give you good suggestions without knowing your likes and dislikes.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    probably hitting speed bags and heavy bags.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It just depends what's fun for you. Be aware that your definition will change over time :) I used to hate running - mostly because I thought I couldn't do it. I love it now. I also love playing Just Dance on my Wii and that's a heck of a calorie burn.

Jillian Michaels workouts...well I wouldn't say fun but they go by so quickly I don't have time to think about whether or not they're fun.