"Starvation Mode"

Options

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I agree i also think starvation mode is a myth At least until you get to a very low percentage of body fat... Its very popular these days but dont be fooled it really is a myth If starvation mode were really true no one would be starving in the world their would be no anorexics. People need common sense .... Why would you body hold on to fat for dear life. and your metab come to a sudden hult Nope.. it might slow but you can speed it up by exercising and eating every few hours.
    Your body holds onto fat because that's its survival mechanism when there is no food. You can survive a famine much longer with more fat and less muscle than you can with more muscle and less fat, so the body sacrifices muscle first. The human body doesn't understand the concept of dieting. It only understands that there is no food available, so it needs to conserve as much energy as it can in order to keep you alive until food is found.

And exercising and eating every few hours doesn't speed up your metabolism, that's a complete myth.

Source?
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I agree i also think starvation mode is a myth At least until you get to a very low percentage of body fat... Its very popular these days but dont be fooled it really is a myth If starvation mode were really true no one would be starving in the world their would be no anorexics. People need common sense .... Why would you body hold on to fat for dear life. and your metab come to a sudden hult Nope.. it might slow but you can speed it up by exercising and eating every few hours.
    Your body holds onto fat because that's its survival mechanism when there is no food. You can survive a famine much longer with more fat and less muscle than you can with more muscle and less fat, so the body sacrifices muscle first. The human body doesn't understand the concept of dieting. It only understands that there is no food available, so it needs to conserve as much energy as it can in order to keep you alive until food is found.

And exercising and eating every few hours doesn't speed up your metabolism, that's a complete myth.

Source?

I agree, I'd like a source. As I understand it, the metabolism only eats what it needs. If it needs calcium it eats bone. If it needs amino acids it will eat muscle. If it needs fat it will eat fat. If it needs carbs/glucose it will eat fat to breakdown for energy (and the only energy the body needs from carbs is the brain which needs 20g per day). So As far as I know, when you're fasting (which everyone does at night) the metabolism will always hit the fat reserves for energy if there isn't a meal to digest; otherwise, if we were eating muscle when there was no food to burn, why not take a protein shake before bed? I'll answer that: because we don't have to.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Of course exercising gives you a higher metabolism, that's what your metabolism is. That's why you need to eat more when you exercise, and why you fill that in on mfp to eat more (unless if you are already set at a high activity level). People who have a fast metabolism (like me) are that way because they are very active people and burn a lot of calories in their day to day life because they move around a lot (I am always moving, when I talk I act it out and move my whole body, I walk around the home and don't sit still for long, I am always doing stuff, it's just my nature). If you don't eat enough (and your weight drops low), your body will slow your metabolism by causing you to slow down and not move as much (so you burn less calories). But, then when you eat the amount your body needs for energy and activity (not overeat) and move more it just regulates again. I can see some people on here have experienced some strange disorders and I can not speak to that experience, as I have never had that experience.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Source?
    Tufts School of Medicine, PubMed, Mayo Clinic, lots of places to read up on biology. The human body's entire purpose is to stay alive. Fat lasts much longer than muscle. Also, fat is a major part of the endocrine system, it's considered a major organ. The body burning off only fat during starvation would be equivalent to your body cannabalizing your liver or kidneys during starvation. Fat also only takes about half the number of calories to support than an equivalent amount of muscle.

During starvation situations, muscle is simply expendable, fat isn't.

As for the eating to boost your metabolism thing, that's a myth that has been debunked thousands of times.

Here's some reading.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/4/906.abstract
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Source?
    Tufts School of Medicine, PubMed, Mayo Clinic, lots of places to read up on biology. The human body's entire purpose is to stay alive. Fat lasts much longer than muscle. Also, fat is a major part of the endocrine system, it's considered a major organ. The body burning off only fat during starvation would be equivalent to your body cannabalizing your liver or kidneys during starvation. Fat also only takes about half the number of calories to support than an equivalent amount of muscle.

As for the eating to boost your metabolism thing, that's a myth that has been debunked thousands of times.

Here's some reading.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

The body does not think and make decisions. The muscles need calories and will use the calories you eat, and burn the fat for more calories. You lose the muscle when you are not taking in enough calories and you are all out of fat stores to burn for fuel. You will also lose muscle if you are not using your muscles.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Source?

Here's some reading.

The body does not think and make decisions. The muscles need calories and will use the calories you eat, and burn the fat for more calories. You lose the muscle when you are not taking in enough calories and you are all out of fat stores to burn for fuel. You will also lose muscle if you are not using your muscles.
    The body doesn't think, but hormones control all of these 'decisions'.
  • banger711
    banger711 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the myth myself either. Your body is not taking in calories so it will burn off stored fat. But, my system is not right when I do it, need the bathroom to much. You need to get something in your system.
  • tigersword
    Options

Source?

I agree, I'd like a source. As I understand it, the metabolism only eats what it needs. If it needs calcium it eats bone. If it needs amino acids it will eat muscle. If it needs fat it will eat fat. If it needs carbs/glucose it will eat fat to breakdown for energy (and the only energy the body needs from carbs is the brain which needs 20g per day). So As far as I know, when you're fasting (which everyone does at night) the metabolism will always hit the fat reserves for energy if there isn't a meal to digest; otherwise, if we were eating muscle when there was no food to burn, why not take a protein shake before bed? I'll answer that: because we don't have to.
    You understand incorrectly. Amino acids can also be converted to glucose. Also, the brain is not the only organ that requires glucose, there are several of them. Plus, we are talking about a long term response, this isn't something that happens over night, this is a response that takes several days of complete fasting, or several months of extreme calorie deficit. So your "fasting while sleeping" comment is completely irrelevant (very few people are truly "fasting" during sleep anyway, it takes about 16 hours to actually get into a fasting state, most people don't allow themselves to ever go that long without food.)

Also, glucose is required for proper fat burning, and muscles rely on glycogen for energy, which is another form of glucose.
  • tigersword
    Options

Source?

Here's some reading.

This, after all, when did I ever say the body "thinks?" These are automated survival responses that kick in during extreme situations. The human body certainly doesn't think, that's why it doesn't understand that the large calorie restriction is being done intentionally to lose weight, all it knows is that food has suddenly become scarce, and physiological and hormonal changes kick in to keep the body alive as long as possible in hopes that the famine will end and food will become plentiful again. If the body could "think," it would understand that you wanted to burn fat, and wouldn't allow cortisol levels to rise, leading to catabolic states that burn lean mass while preserving fat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Source?

Here's some reading.

People will tell you that if you want to lose weight, one of the best ways to do that is to build muscle because muscle is more metabolically active. Your body will require more calories for the muscle and will also burn your fat stores for fuel (the body stores fat for the purpose of using it in times of need).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Source?

Here's some reading.

This, after all, when did I ever say the body "thinks?" These are automated survival responses that kick in during extreme situations. The human body certainly doesn't think, that's why it doesn't understand that the large calorie restriction is being done intentionally to lose weight, all it knows is that food has suddenly become scarce, and physiological and hormonal changes kick in to keep the body alive as long as possible in hopes that the famine will end and food will become plentiful again. If the body could "think," it would understand that you wanted to burn fat, and wouldn't allow cortisol levels to rise, leading to catabolic states that burn lean mass while preserving fat.

Why does your body store fat, if it's never going to use it?
  • ironanimal
    Options
    People will tell you that if you want to lose weight, one of the best ways to do that is to build muscle because muscle is more metabolically active. Your body will require more calories for the muscle and will also burn your fat stores for fuel (the body stores fat for the purpose of using it in times of need).
    Cutting some quotes; hope you don't mind.

The problem with the above is you can't build any substantial amount of muscle while on a calorie restrictive diet as per the laws of physics. It helps bodybuilders and athletes, certainly, to cut fat in the future but for your average person it's not an effective game plan.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

The problem with the above is you can't build any substantial amount of muscle while on a calorie restrictive diet as per the laws of physics. It helps bodybuilders and athletes, certainly, to cut fat in the future but for your average person it's not an effective game plan.

I agree that it's not an effective game plan for building muscle and would never recommend that. But, the laws of physics do not instantly change because a person did not eat enough calories. I'm just asking people to apply logic. Long term caloric restriction will lead to problems. But, the body still functions within the laws of physics when experiencing a short term lack of calories (if you already have muscle). I'm not recommending that. Your muscles do their job to sustain themselves and when they can no longer sustain themselves they will diminish.
  • akgordoa
    Options
    Everyone's body is wired differently. One approach may work ,and may not depending on the individual. The information may be correct for some, but that's why the knowledge keeps changing because we aren't a universal body type . That's why I don't take health facts to heart.
  • ironanimal
    Options

I agree that it's not an effective game plan for building muscle and would never recommend that. But, the laws of physics do not suddenly change because a person did not eat enough calories. I'm just asking people to apply logic.
    That's the thing. The laws of physics are the same but the numbers change. Processes (like healing/growth) are slowed and eventually shut off with heavy calorie restriction over a long period of time as a hormonal response. Thus your BMR lowers, and you burn less energy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I agree that it's not an effective game plan for building muscle and would never recommend that. But, the laws of physics do not suddenly change because a person did not eat enough calories. I'm just asking people to apply logic.
    That's the thing. The laws of physics are the same but the numbers change. Processes (like healing/growth) are slowed and eventually shut off with heavy calorie restriction over a long period of time as a hormonal response. Thus your BMR lowers, and you burn less energy.

Maybe we are having a misunderstanding because I am not talking about long term caloric restriction, I am talking about short term, and to be clear I only mean in circumstances that are not ideal. I am not at all recommending it because it is unhealthy and unpredictable how the body will respond to it.
  • ironanimal
    Options

Maybe we are having a misunderstanding because I am not talking about long term caloric restriction, I am talking about short term, and to be clear I only mean in circumstances that are not ideal. I am not at all recommending it because it is unhealthy and unpredictable how the body will respond to it.
    Well if you mean not eating for 12 hours inducing Starvation Mode is crap, I fully agree :p
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode is a myth. It was popularized due to the Minnesota Starvation Experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment) in which subjects were given 50% of their daily calorie intake for months. The result? Well, they lost weight until they had almost no weight left to lose and their bodies simply could not get the calories ANYWHERE. Concisely put: starvation mode happens when you are, quite literally, wasting away. Not when you have a simple caloric deficit. Your body will make up for it with fat stores. That's what they're for. Do not worry about starvation mode (http://examine.com/faq/how-do-i-stay-out-of-starvation-mode.html)."

Thoughts?

I can't believe that this has to be repeated so often.

I can't believe that some people actually believe that if they skip a couple of meals they're going to wreak havoc with their delicate body chemistry.

I really can't believe it when I see some people recommending to others who are working to lose weight that they should eat back their exercise calories.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    I really can't believe it when I see some people recommending to others who are working to lose weight that they should eat back their exercise calories.
    You've been here so long, argued with so many people, and yet, you still miss the boat every time. You eat them back to avoid creating an unsustainable deficit that encourages hormonal responses that trigger catabolism. It's not the best system, but its a damn site better than disregarding the energy expenditure of exercise altogether.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

It's not about what you're eating...it's about hormones! Hormones can tell a morbidly obese body to hold on to all that fat even though that person is no where near starving.

Really because what I've been told that a morbidly obese person can eat lower because they have more to lose and will have a less chance of stalling out early, as a opposed to a person who only needs to lose a few lbs. The less body fat on you the harder it is to lose.