How do I stop being so horrible with my water ?

Options

Replies

• azmarante
    azmarante Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well remember that your water intake isn't limited to...water. haha. You get water from fruits + veggies too, so if you can't handle any more water (don't force yourself!), try snacking on cucumber slices or broccoli (both contain a lot of water) or a juicy nectarine. Do avoid too much sugaryfruits, since you are getting sugar with that water intake (along with vitamins and nutrients!).

Also just try drinking your water ice cold! I find that I can't drink a lot of room temperature water, but I like a nice cup of cold water in the morning.
    I like the straw idea a lot of people are suggesting too or the 'water flavouring' idea (crystal light, etc). But I suggest putting in a slice of lemon or lime or grapefruit instead of artificial flavouring.

Lastly, it sounds like you're trying to get your water intake in one-go. If you can only handle a sip at a time then that's a-okay. Just take a sip whenever you remember. Maybe if you have a (hopefully non-plastic) water bottle on hand, you might be more inclined to take a sip.

Good luck!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have a 16 oz cup I use. I know that if I finish that cup I only have 3 more to drink and the count down begins. Before I know it, I've finished 10 cups. I don't know but the count down works for me. Try not dumping out your water but adding ice. Never know...water tastes better cold.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with the straw suggestion. Make sure it's a big, fat one. Like, McDonald's drink straw sized. Skinny straws don't have the same effect.
  • equinescrapper
    Options
    I was drinking a Nalgene bottle per day but switched to a Tervis Tumbler this past spring. Those are 24 oz. I drink 1 in the morning before my lunch break, then one in the afternoon after lunch and usually another before I go to bed. 72 oz of just water there and I count my milk and crystal light. Typical is 11-14 glasses per day. Like another poster, I can tell when I'm dehydrated now. I'm tired, cranky and now catching a cold. Awesome......

Good luck!
  • happythermia
    Options
    Straw or a refillable bottle of water.

Seriously! Otherwise, I'd probably not be drinking water at all
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    I actually drink the most when the water is in a water bottle. I find I drink a lot more.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    When I work I find I tend to drink more water; having lost my job 2 months ago I realized sometimes I am going almost all day with barely one cup of water. I am now tracking on the dry erase board in my kitchen, a tick mark everytime I fill up. I also like herbal (decaf) iced tea, so I keep that made at all times - Country Peach Passion or Black Cherry Berry (Celestial Seasonings) are my faves, I do not add any sweetener. As many others have stated, I also use a large insulated tumbler with straw and lid - and lots of ice!
  • StillChangingAmie
    Options
    I honestly can't drink water if it's not bottled. I mean, I can fill up a water bottle but I need to keep the cap on to keep a clear mind of worrying about dust particle floating in :P

I also drink lots and lots of brewed tea. :] Adds flavor without adding chemicals or artificial sweeteners!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you're just not a water drinker (like me), start just by getting down ONE glass per day. It is a start, and once that's no big deal, start trying to get two down per day.

I do find when I work out (cardio), that I do need water, and take sips of an entire glass of ice water throughout my work out. By the time my work out is over, so is my water. :)

Good luck.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was drinking a Nalgene bottle per day but switched to a Tervis Tumbler this past spring. Those are 24 oz. I drink 1 in the morning before my lunch break, then one in the afternoon after lunch and usually another before I go to bed. 72 oz of just water there and I count my milk and crystal light. Typical is 11-14 glasses per day. Like another poster, I can tell when I'm dehydrated now. I'm tired, cranky and now catching a cold. Awesome......

Good luck!

Oh yeah! I knew I felt better drinking a minimum of 8 glasses but I guess I didn't associate it with no longer being dehydrated! It's true! I am snacking less and a LOT less tired!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This is what I do and something that one should do to get an idea of how much water you need in a day take your weight divide it by 2 and that is how many ounce's you should be drink so say you weigh 155lbs you would need 77.5 or 78 ounce of water which is approx about 9 to 10 cups.

Upon waking up one should drink 2 cups of water within the first half hour of being awake and had something to eat to kick start there metabolism. I myself when I go to bed to be assured to get those to glass in I take a water bottle that is two cups with ice and 3 cups without ice in it I set that by my bed side so if I wake up in the middle of the night say 1:30 am and I am thirst I take a sip or a drink of it. So by the time I drag myself out of bed and down stairs or to the shower I will have had all ready 3 cups of water.
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started. I bought a decorative cup and straw and made it a game. The more water I drink the more treats I can have at night. It works for me. I drink water for my skinny cow desserts.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    um, just start drinking more and stop pouring it down the drain. pretty simple.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Don't have anything else in the house besides water.

Since I moved, I haven't had any tea, fruit juice, squash, etc here, so literally all I've been drinking is water.

Now some of it may just be my imagination, but the great thing is, it's worked wonders for my skin, I feel A LOT better (more energy and less lethargic) and I'm losing weight quicker than I was. ^__^
  • rhonniema
    Options
    Get a cup with a straw. You will be amazed how much more you will drink.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    get a huge cup with a straw and drink it that way, ice cold...
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    When I'm at home, I drink my water out of a tumbler with a straw. It helps me drink more water, because (to me at least) it seems like it takes more effort to get the water. You could always try putting lemon in your water, that might help make it not so boring.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I found that my water intake increased significantly when I started first using Mio, which upsets my stomach, then using a product called Blox. The Blox especially probably tripled my water intake. Basically if you can find something with flavor but without sugar etc to put in your water it should help.
  • CjsWifey
    Options
    I used to be horrible with water too... I found If I freeze water or make it almost frozen I will drink it more, I always have a water bottle in the freezer, also the smart water sport tops help, and I just get in the habit of taking water with me every where i go... Also, quit buying any soda or anything else that would divert me away from drinking water, if water is the only thing to drink, then water it is!!
  • ljpjones
    ljpjones Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a straw and make sure it is really cold. That helps me :-)