Can you "save up" a calorie deficit?

Options
I don't mean, can I starve myself all week and then gorge on the weekend - that would be stupid. But just occasionally, over two days - like if there's a big Food Event on Friday, can I eat below my calories on Thursday, and then cut loose a bit on Friday? Or is that still a bad idea? I'd be happier doing it before than after - like saving up for something and paying in cash, than putting it on a credit card and knowing you still have to pay for it . . .

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sure.. within reason.
    I tend to pay more attention to the weekly total than daily (the iPhone app makes it easy to see these numbers) as it accounts for the different things that happen in my life which affect how much I eat from day to day.
  • selfmedicated2
    selfmedicated2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the responses to this, as I'm definitely doing the same thing. I don't "store up" for more than 2 days in a row before a splurge, but for example: it's been pretty common for me to workout on a Thursday and Friday, burning ~600-675 calories and not eating them back, but then working out also on Saturday and having a big splurge meal + wine on Saturday night with friends.

Thoughts?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you do it regularly then it's called Cycling, where you eat a few days low and then a day high and repeat for the basic idea.
    You don't want to try and 'save up' for too long though, 2 days is probably ok. If you 'save' all week and binge on the weekend it could be signs of an eating disorder.
  • GCgirl24
    Options
    About 10 years ago when I did Weight Watchers, you could do just that. You could basically 'bank' your points over the course of the week, and then use them on a big dinner, or a family get together. I think that if you cut back for a day so you're able to eat those calories tomorrow is ok, but definitely not a habit you want to get into. This is a lifestyle after all, not just a diet.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, I make sure I get enough calories and protein etc during the week, but also save up for the weekend where I eat more calories and do less exercise. I look at my calories on a weekly basis, and have done since starting MFP, it works for me. That being said i'm not kidding myself that I wouldn't get better results if I didn't do that on the weekend.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I say yes, and not necessarily just as a "one time thing" either. While I agree that eating healthy is a lifestyle change, not a diet, I don't think there is anything wrong with the lifestyle of calorie cycling. Honestly I think most "I've never been fat" people do it! They'll have a day coming up- like a date or a girl's night- and know that there will be some bad food choices but still want to participate for the social and sensual experience, so they'll eat a bit healthier the day before and add a mile to their run or something like that. Just as long as you aren't starving yourself so you can eat a deep-fried oreo every weekend, there is nothing wrong with it :)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I say yes, and not necessarily just as a "one time thing" either. While I agree that eating healthy is a lifestyle change, not a diet, I don't think there is anything wrong with the lifestyle of calorie cycling. Honestly I think most "I've never been fat" people do it! They'll have a day coming up- like a date or a girl's night- and know that there will be some bad food choices but still want to participate for the social and sensual experience, so they'll eat a bit healthier the day before and add a mile to their run or something like that. Just as long as you aren't starving yourself so you can eat a deep-fried oreo every weekend, there is nothing wrong with it :)
    I agree with all of this, and I am a "I've never been fat" person lol. A deep fried oreo sounds freaking amazing by the way, good thing I don't have a deep fryer!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i say short term yes (within a week) long term no (2 weeks or more.) mainly because of the metabolic rate changing, especially on a daily basis. how i would approach it would be to eat less on days i do not exercise and eat more on days i do exercise... so if ur planning on eating a lot on a particular day, get a good workout in on that day.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat your basal requirement and maybe save up exercise calories earned. I think if you go below your daily minimum amount of calories, you run the risk of altering your metabolism. If you do it once or twice, NBD but it seems you'd like to use this as a weight loss strategy for dealing with regular/special events. Even when WW used this in their program, you still had to eat your daily point requirements (basal metabolic requirement).
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It'd be better for you to eat normally, have that bad day and make it up in the gym. Raising and lowering your food intake just so you can eat bad stuff kind of defeats the purpose of dieting.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm the type that will up my workouts for the two days before a family dinner and only eat back part of the exercise calories. Overall, looking at a weekly calorie number may be easier for you though. Just be sure to set a daily minimum as well so you are getting enough each day!
  • happypath101
    Options
    I did weight watchers for a while and you always thought about your calorie intake/expenditure in the course of a week. It really worked for me. I LOVE MFP and work hard to stay within my daily allowance. But, I often keep track over the course of a week. I'm in a bit of a groove where I'm definately in the defecit most weekdays and let myself go over a bit on the weekends.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of this, and I am a "I've never been fat" person lol. A deep fried oreo sounds freaking amazing by the way, good thing I don't have a deep fryer!
    The first time I had one, I was in heaven!! And then I got sick from all of the fat (as odd as it sounds, I have an intolerance to certain lipids). I'm just glad I don't keep oreos in my apartment anymore... I made the mistake, ate like a full row, and then was sick for a day!
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I do it. Not more than about 200 cals/day though. Just enough to have a splurge meal and a glass or two of wine on the weekend. I also make sure I'm exercising the day of the splurge. I use the weekly calorie counting anyway. I like that on the app when you go to your weekly averages you see just how many cals you've gone over or under for the weekly total. I usually have my splurge on Sundays which is perfect b/c it's the end of the mfp week so I know exactly how many cals I can eat that day.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you're eating more than 1200 a day, my opinion is that you could "bank" some calories safely. If you're eating at or below 1200 a day, it's just not healthy to do that. 1200 is kind of a minimum - keeps your brain thinking, heart pumping, lungs breathing. I don't believe in consuming less than what you need for daily life support because done often enough, it will damage your health.
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As long as your wekly average is where it should be I would not see a problem with it. I would just be careful not to do it too often or make a habit of straving yourself all week and stuffing yourself all weekend...or indead drinking all your calories at the weekend (drinkorexia lol)
    Personally I like to try and stay on an even keal but if I go over I know I ave the backup of being under for a couple of days that week.
    xx:tongue:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. As long as my 'week' averages out I don't get concerned and I am still losing weight. Yesterday my boyfriend brought home baguettes, home made cheese, hummus and pate. Needless to say I'll be eating less for a few days to make up for that one :P