Zumba Certification Class - I need some encouragement!

Options
For the last few months, I have been wanting to get Zumba certified. I was talking to Kris, the owner of the Curves where I workout, and found out there's a certification class on November 9 in Williamsburg, VA. (about 4 hours away from me) I just need to come up with $225 to pay for it!!! :-\ I'm currently looking for work and the people around me don't seem to be so supportive about it considering that I'm not working right now. (I have put in 12 apps in the last week, it's not like I'm not looking) I REALLY want to get into the health/nutrition/fitness field but I could use some support and encouragement here. I definitely need some kind of experience first, and I feel like Zumba certification is a great way to get started and do some networking. Kris already mentioned that if I could get certified quickly, that she'd consider letting me teach a class there. I'm doing all I can to show her that I'm serious about helping others achieve their weight loss goals because I really want to work there when she has an opening. She seems to be the only person encouraging me on this. Everyone acts like I'm being ridiculous for even considering it. I guess there are more important things, like oh say, RENT! but I REALLY want to do this... I guess I'll have to put my dreams on hold, for now.

Replies

• Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.
    I think I want to go back to school to become a nurse....I'm not entirely sure. I sort of wish I could "shadow" first to be sure I really want to commit to that-the time and expense of classes.
    On the other hand, my dad thinks wanting to go to Nursing school is a terrible idea. He points out I will have to deal with blood, body fluids, sick ect all the time.
    That is why I kind of wish I could shadow and see if I could handle it first before I go to school and then realize it is not for me.

But November the 9th is a long time away. I am sure that you will find something, somewhere to get that amount of money?
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's just under 2 months away and I guess since I've always struggled because I'm a single mom, everyone is worried about me. Maybe it is kinda silly. You should see if there's a nurse you know that can maybe let you tag along and see what it's all about. Nursing pays well and there a high demand, so I say go for it. I'd do it myself but I think I'd have a hard time not getting too attached to my patients and it would kill me emotionally if I lost one.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.
    I think I want to go back to school to become a nurse....I'm not entirely sure. I sort of wish I could "shadow" first to be sure I really want to commit to that-the time and expense of classes.
    On the other hand, my dad thinks wanting to go to Nursing school is a terrible idea. He points out I will have to deal with blood, body fluids, sick ect all the time.
    That is why I kind of wish I could shadow and see if I could handle it first before I go to school and then realize it is not for me.

But November the 9th is a long time away. I am sure that you will find something, somewhere to get that amount of money?

Have you tried calling a local hospital and seeing what volunteer opportunities there are for you? My grandmother volunteered her whole retired life in various aspects of the hospital. :-)
  • Pjhench
    Pjhench Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go for it! My daughter got certified as a Less Mills Body Combat instructor and she hasnt regretted it for one minute...and is going back to get certified in body pump.
    She loved going to the classes and loves it even more now that she is an instructor. Her students love her and her classes.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For the last few months, I have been wanting to get Zumba certified. I was talking to Kris, the owner of the Curves where I workout, and found out there's a certification class on November 9 in Williamsburg, VA. (about 4 hours away from me) I just need to come up with $225 to pay for it!!! :-\ I'm currently looking for work and the people around me don't seem to be so supportive about it considering that I'm not working right now. (I have put in 12 apps in the last week, it's not like I'm not looking) I REALLY want to get into the health/nutrition/fitness field but I could use some support and encouragement here. I definitely need some kind of experience first, and I feel like Zumba certification is a great way to get started and do some networking. Kris already mentioned that if I could get certified quickly, that she'd consider letting me teach a class there. I'm doing all I can to show her that I'm serious about helping others achieve their weight loss goals because I really want to work there when she has an opening. She seems to be the only person encouraging me on this. Everyone acts like I'm being ridiculous for even considering it. I guess there are more important things, like oh say, RENT! but I REALLY want to do this... I guess I'll have to put my dreams on hold, for now.

How much would you get for teaching the one class? I guess what Im getting at is how long will it take you to recoup the $225? Could you swing paying the rent and basics until you get thru the training and start teaching the one class at least?
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    I'm not trying to make a living at it (yet) I'd be doing it in addition to my day job (when I get one) I think it would be a great investment of time and money and I'd be able to get my feet wet in the fitness/nutrition field. I like helping people. It's something I'm passionate about and it makes me happy.
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am Zumba certified and there are some other fees involved and a lot of commitment outside of teaching to learn the routines. I don't use my certification due to the amount of material that you need to learn. They don't tell you that it really takes about 6 months to actually learn all the moves and fit them into routines. I was really disappointed with my experience. On the other side, a lot of people make good money teaching Zumba. Do some more research and save up the money and see if you want to take the class.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of Zumba before January this year. And I can that I really enjoy it. I have thought about getting certified myself.

I think it would be a great goal to have. You should do it!! I don't know who around there could help sponsor you, though, and I'm sorry about that.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba for almost a year now and I can keep up with my instructor but her moves aren't as intense as some others I've seen. I know it will take dedication, a lot of time and effort but I'm willing to do that as an investment in my future.
  • cntrygrlx1
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS KIMMY!!! Look at you. You're a single mom bringing up a terrific kid. If you can do that you can do anything. I believe in you. If I could, I'd give you the money and you know that.
  • Heather1899
    Options
    I know how you feel.

Have you tried calling a local hospital and seeing what volunteer opportunities there are for you? My grandmother volunteered her whole retired life in various aspects of the hospital. :-)

I think this is a great idea. I have kind of thought of it. I think most of "my" problem is lack of confidence.
    I worry that I will not be smart enough in the math. I worry I will make bad mistakes. I think most of this comes from where I work at now, it is just in an office but stupid mistakes really get you yelled at...
    So I kind of see what I think I might like-I want to help people and work in health care because I've lost weight and want to "give back" somehow and feel that way in my career. On the other hand, I lack the confidence to take big chances and make mistakes like that.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS KIMMY!!! Look at you. You're a single mom bringing up a terrific kid. If you can do that you can do anything. I believe in you. If I could, I'd give you the money and you know that.

I know you would Cheryl! You're awesome like that, that's why I love you. Thanks for the lift :-)
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have recently become certified to teach Zumba after continuous classes for about a year and a half.... As jrae said, there are other fees in addition to the 225, so be sure and check everything out first....

I was fortunate with my experience, the gym I belong to asked me if I would consider teaching at their facility in return for them paying for my certification, zin, clothing, gym membership etc.... So it was a great opportunity for me.... I am also subbing for the instructor whose classes I've been attending since I started... I work full time and don't ever see myself making a living at it but do love teaching....

So..... All this to say.... Check the churches around your area that have fitness centers to see if they can work with you on similar deal....

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

Gayle
  • Heather1899
    Options
    If you miss this class Nov 9 will there be other times to get this opportunity?

I would try to think of it as weight loss. I started at 312 and am now at 180 and I realize it didn't happen over night. You can always try to save a little back at a time, much like we lose weight if only 1 pound a week.
    Some weeks you might have nothing to save, like a plateau.
    But if you don't give up on it, and it might not be THIS opportunity but eventually you will save enough.

And I don't know how your finances are, though so this might differ...but I could see myself cut out things I think I don't need. I would give up my cell phone-that is $30 a month. Or find a smaller plan. Maybe give up internet unless I really needed it. Stop ordering food out. ect.
    Or maybe I could sell something I have that I never use anymore or just don't want. Like there are clothes I have that are way too big for me that is in our "garage sale" stuff. There are dvds I watched and really hated so I don't see myself watching again. I'd either have a big yard sale or learn how to work ebay??
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    There will be other chances in the future to take the class but I feel confident that if I get certified quickly, I'll be able to teach Zumba on the circuit at Curves. I'm also aware of the additional costs, like Zin but it's not required, just prefered. I can add that later when I get a more steady income.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if you made a decision. Are you still thinking about it?
  • Turtlesallthewaydown
    Options
    If you get your certificate can you market yourself as a 'certified instructor' ? People will pay decent money if you offer "exclusive, one - on -one private instruction from a certified Zumba instructor" Or say you offer small, private, in -home classes for instructing groups of three people. Ten bucks per hour, two hours, three people ... profit! Plus lots of time in your day left to do more classes or work another job. I don't know if there are rules or liability issues to consider though so I'm not sure if this is a valid idea for you or not.
  • nataliecarter2
    nataliecarter2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's worth it, I'm a Zumba instructor and there is a high demand, plus you get paid to workout. It's amazing. I am a full time high school teacher, so I teach Zumba in the evening for fun. You'll get you're investment back, plus it's a tax write off. Good luck!