Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    200px-Pop-Tarts-Box-Small.jpg
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well, after an intense bonk in the middle of your workout, I'd be most impressed of you had enough stamina to carry on with your gym session.

I really must stop laughing...
  • justgus
    Options
    My apologies to all those I disappointed by not clarifying "bonk" in the title. I can see how that could be deceiving and a very interesting topic. I actually hadn't heard it used that way until a few months ago and was just as surprised. I do now know if I want to get anyone's attention I only need to use "Bonk" in the title.

Happy Bonking everyone!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wish I was so lucky! :smile:

Back to topic, I find that having coffee and a snack before I workout keeps me going. Usually I have fruit because it doesn't make me feel weighed down. For long runs I usually have an english muffin and peanut butter which gives me a bit more sustained energy.
    If you want to cut down the carbs, maybe fruit and peanut butter would work?
  • justgus
    Options
    Just to prove I didnt make that up - the following is from wikipedia:

"In endurance sports such as cycling and running, hitting the wall or the bonk describes a condition caused by the depletion of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles, which manifests itself by sudden fatigue and loss of energy. Milder instances can be remedied by brief rest and the ingestion of food or drinks containing carbohydrates. The condition can usually be avoided by ensuring that glycogen levels are high when the exercise begins, maintaining glucose levels during exercise by eating or drinking carbohydrate-rich substances, or by reducing exercise intensity."

Back to the other use of the word - I do believe bonking needs added to the exercise database. Its a good calorie burner!