weight machines or free weights?

Options

Replies

• LiftHuff
    Options
    I recommend Starting Strength 3rd edition, you can get it on amazon. Hundreds of pages on how to perform the basic compound exercises.

This x9000
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    but why?

When you use machines you're basically stuck in one plane of motion. With free weights you're using your stabilizers, including your core, plus you're in full control of the eccentric and concentric (easy & hard part) of a lift..

So basically - more control of the weight you're lifting and better overall for the body as the stabilizers are involved. More bang for the buck...

Ah, (lightbulb comes on) thanks I understand.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The free weights versus machines debate reminds me of the strength training v. cardio argument. They're both useful, just as most people who strength train and seek balanced fitness still do cardio.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Definitely free weights. There is an excellent article on this topic under the StrongLifts website. You use all of your core muscles to balance using free weights whereas if you lift on machines you only use one isolated muscle or group and never develop the rest.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Free weights.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    but why?

When you use machines you're basically stuck in one plane of motion. With free weights you're using your stabilizers, including your core, plus you're in full control of the eccentric and concentric (easy & hard part) of a lift..

So basically - more control of the weight you're lifting and better overall for the body as the stabilizers are involved. More bang for the buck...

Some people prefer the safety of weight machines, especially if they're weak or new to strength training. If you can't lift a free weight with good form it's unlikely to do you much good.
    Make it lighter. You will never improve at something you never try.
  • dbaltimore1
    Options
    How many calories do you burn lifting free weights
  • ironanimal
    Options
    How many badgers can you fit in a hammock?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This is a contentious point but I'll wade right in. I'll quote from Dr. Doug McGuff, an E.R. doc and personal trainer of many years:

"The fact of the matter is that your muscles deal only with force-production requirements, which, in turn, are determined by the resistance to which the muscles are exposed - whether that resistance comes in the form of a free weight, a Nautilus machine, or a bucket of rocks. The scientific literature backs this up: according to the few properly performed studies that measured the effects of free weights versus machines, both are equally effective... since machines are safer and at least as efficient as free weights at stimulating muscles, we see no upside to taking a risk that isn't required".
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Going to second third and fourth what everyone has been saying. Free-weights FTW.

Strongliftd 5x5 is a great place to start. I have lifted for a while but the 5x5 program I was able to go back to the start and focus on the important things. Well worth it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That depends on volume, intensity, rest periods, your BMR and a bunch of other things. It is pretty possible to get an accurate assessment due to these variables plus EPOC is also very hard to estimate. That being said, assuming you are not doind circuit style conditioning work, the MFP estimates are probably as good as any.

IMO, weight lifting should not be looked at with regard to calorie burn but with respect to body composition.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    This is a contentious point but I'll wade right in. I'll quote from Dr. Doug McGuff, an E.R. doc and personal trainer of many years:

"The fact of the matter is that your muscles deal only with force-production requirements, which, in turn, are determined by the resistance to which the muscles are exposed - whether that resistance comes in the form of a free weight, a Nautilus machine, or a bucket of rocks. The scientific literature backs this up: according to the few properly performed studies that measured the effects of free weights versus machines, both are equally effective... since machines are safer and at least as efficient as free weights at stimulating muscles, we see no upside to taking a risk that isn't required".
    They forgot about the stabilizing muscles that prevent injuries.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Scientific literature does NOT back this up. It does in regards to primary driver, but we don't exercise only to stimulate primary drivers now do we... Not to mention the benefits primal movement patterns get from free weights vs machines..
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    there is zero reason to use machines outside of bodybuilding or rehab.

I usually work out ALONE at 5:30 in the morning in my home. I do not go to a gym, I do not have a partner and I do not have a trainer. So, for me to bench press alone would be VERY IRRESPONSIBLE. There are times when machines ARE safer and do have a place in your training. By doing the types of exercises that are not safe without a spotter, you can still get the benefits and avoid the risks... with a machine. I use both and there is a place for both. JMO.
    the problems with people like you is you're looking for ways to not do something rather than ways to do something.

Sooo, you can use dumbells. problem solved outright.

But if you really want to use barbells, you have a few options. You can not lock the ends of the barbells, then if you fail, just tip it to the side, and voila, plates fall off and you live to lift another day.

Thats worst case scenario. Alternately you can use a squat rack, adjust the bars to catch the barbell, then you're good to go period. Or just straight up build a bench cage.

there is no place for both. My point stands. Free weights > machines period.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

I usually work out ALONE at 5:30 in the morning in my home. I do not go to a gym, I do not have a partner and I do not have a trainer. So, for me to bench press alone would be VERY IRRESPONSIBLE. There are times when machines ARE safer and do have a place in your training. By doing the types of exercises that are not safe without a spotter, you can still get the benefits and avoid the risks... with a machine. I use both and there is a place for both. JMO.

use dumbbells. i lift heavy and never need a spotter... cant get the rep up? just drop the dumbbells to your sides.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Generally I prefer machines to free weights.

(OH MY GAWD! HE'S AN IDIOT!)

Hear me out, please.

With a series of weight machines you can move from one machine with one purpose to another. You have a direction and a focus that's simple. It doesn't require much thought to execute a bench press on a bench press machine.

Theoretical free-weight conversation that goes on in my head:
    Trainer: With free weights you can do anything.
    Newbie: Anything?
    Trainer: Anything.
    Newbie: What should I do?
    Trainer: Whatever you want.
    Newbie: I don't know what I want. I just want to get fit!
    Trainer: Then you should come back when you know what you want.
    Newbie: Okay. Goodbye then. I'll come back about...never.

I know there are people who can help, but the process tends to be more intricate and mentally involved than simply bouncing through a few machines. There is a personal science involved. It has always intimidated me.

There's also the muscleheads that see how scrawny you are and choose to tell you how poorly you're doing certain exercises, even when you're doing them correctly. So I tend to just stay away from free weights even though I know they're "better".
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

the problems with people like you is you're looking for ways to not do something rather than ways to do something.

Sooo, you can use dumbells. problem solved outright.

But if you really want to use barbells, you have a few options. You can not lock the ends of the barbells, then if you fail, just tip it to the side, and voila, plates fall off and you live to lift another day.

Thats worst case scenario. Alternately you can use a squat rack, adjust the bars to catch the barbell, then you're good to go period. Or just straight up build a bench cage.

there is no place for both. My point stands. Free weights > machines period.

You can also get those pillars of power that you can place on the sides of your bench to catch the bar. Don't even need a whole power rack if you can't afford one or fit one.

But as you alluded to, it's basically all excuses. You can do just about any exercise alone while still being safe.
  • KateP6531
    Options
    Free weights require more continuous use of your core muscles. With that in mind, I recommend kettle bells. A great place to start would be to read 'Enter the Kettlebell' by Pavel. After reading this you can determine if you are up for it. The strength training is amazing. You'll feel muscles you've never used before. Many of the Marines I served with use this type of exercise. You can do this work out at home, in a park, at a gym or where ever suits you.

Best of luck to you!
  • jspitz1
    Options
    Free weights.
  • joconnor09
    Options
    Machines are good to start with. They make sure you're using the right technique. But once you've got the technique down, free weights will be more effective since you're using more muscles to stabilize your body and keep proper form.