the worst thing ever said.

Options
2»

Replies

• Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    You can prove him wrong, and do so, but I'm pretty sure you hurt his feelings just as much by yelling and screaming at him. PMS isn't permission nor is it an excuse.

I'm not meaning to harp on you specifically, sorry, I just know that women often use it to get away with hurtful behavior and don't even realize what it really does to other people at times.

Now what you can do to help with the weight loss and food thing is sit down and identify the things causing you stress in your life. Try a stream of consciousness method and just write whatever comes to mind without looking back at what you are reading. If you can identify the things that are causing you problems you can then identify strategies to help you cope, whether that be meditation or just taking some time every day to organize your overwhelming thoughts or something else. And as for ice cream, just don't buy it. When you really want some, fork out the extra money to get some from a shop, in the long run it will be cheaper than weekly ice cream shopping. Try some frozen grapes instead, they're sweet and cold and you can suck on them for a while. Besides that, by the time you're halfway through that bowl of ice cream I bet you can't even really taste it properly, which is a sad waste of delicious ice cream.
  • xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Guys say awful things when faced with an argument... Any trace of a filter flies out the window! Haha.
    My boyfriend has made some bad comments too...
    All I can say is prove him wrong!! One of the best feelings is doing what others say you cannot do.
    Good luck!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he was just mad you were fighting and just scored a cheap shot to end the conversation. They are his tax returns and if he doesn't want to share them he shouldn't have to.

Wouldn't the YMCA want your tax returns anyway? As you aren't married, HIS earnings should not be considered when determining YOUR financial need. Therefore, you should be providing your own tax returns not his. If you didn't file taxes, perhaps the YMCA will consider information you provided in your FAFSA that you filled out when you went back to school.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    PROVE HIM WRONG GIRL!! When I started on MFP, my husband said some pretty hurtful things to me too, such as, "Just waiting for you to give up on this weight loss thing," and "I'm not taking this whole thing seriously. You've said you were going to lose weight before and never have. Just go to McDonald's." Oh, and this one, "That girl at the gym is even bigger than you are!!" Wow, thanks honey. What a compliment! 45 days and 14 pounds down. I'm proving him wrong. It feels good. AND he has apologized for the hurtful things he said to me. Whatever you do, don't crawl into a corner and give up! Fight for yourself!! It feels super amazing!
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It seems that up until you got into the argument he was supportive. He probably didn't mean what he said. We all say things we regret in the heat of an argument. Talk to him about it. As for losing the weight, if you are determined, you most certainly can do it.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    You were yelling and screaming at him for shredding bills, something most people do (shred bills, that is). He had no way of knowing you might need them for an application today, so I don't blame him for getting defensive and yelling right back. I probably would have thought you were completely psycho if you'd come at me like that.

Was what he said mean? Yes, of course, but I can understand why he said it. He probably felt attacked and hurt, the same way you do now. People say stupid crap when they argue. You should hear some of the nonsense my boyfriend and I hurl at each other sometimes, only to wake up and say, "OMG, did I really say that to you? I'm so sorry."

Have you made a resolution to lose weight, many times, that he's probably heard over and over? I know I told my boyfriend I was "trying" for two solid years, even walking and such now and again, and he probably had a mental "okay... yeah... sure..." response every time I talked about it. I wouldn't have blamed him for hurling that at me if I came at him like a banshee one night.

It was a comment like your boyfriend's that helped me reach my turning point, though, so maybe it will work that way for you. My boyfriend was telling me a story about some big guy at work, and when he described him, he said, "He's like this big Santa guy. He's bigger than YOU." I was shocked, hurt, and sad. He realized what he'd said right away and apologized, but it had already been said. That's when I started losing weight.

Do it for you, first and foremost, but also think about how smug you'll get to be when you hit your goal weight and prove him wrong. ;)

I hope you feel better soon. I really do think it was just a stupid argument. Give him time to cool down, give YOURSELF time to cool down, and talk about it. Don't pass blame or judgment. Just talk about how you feel. Use a lot of "I" statements instead of "you" statements.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You were yelling and screaming at him for shredding bills, something most people do (shred bills, that is). He had no way of knowing you might need them for an application today, so I don't blame him for getting defensive and yelling right back. I probably would have thought you were completely psycho if you'd come at me like that.

Was what he said mean? Yes, of course, but I can understand why he said it. He probably felt attacked and hurt, the same way you do now. People say stupid crap when they argue. You should hear some of the nonsense my boyfriend and I hurl at each other sometimes, only to wake up and say, "OMG, did I really say that to you? I'm so sorry."

Have you made a resolution to lose weight, many times, that he's probably heard over and over? I know I told my boyfriend I was "trying" for two solid years, even walking and such now and again, and he probably had a mental "okay... yeah... sure..." response every time I talked about it. I wouldn't have blamed him for hurling that at me if I came at him like a banshee one night.

It was a comment like your boyfriend's that helped me reach my turning point, though, so maybe it will work that way for you. My boyfriend was telling me a story about some big guy at work, and when he described him, he said, "He's like this big Santa guy. He's bigger than YOU." I was shocked, hurt, and sad. He realized what he'd said right away and apologized, but it had already been said. That's when I started losing weight.

Do it for you, first and foremost, but also think about how smug you'll get to be when you hit your goal weight and prove him wrong. ;)

I hope you feel better soon. I really do think it was just a stupid argument. Give him time to cool down, give YOURSELF time to cool down, and talk about it. Don't pass blame or judgment. Just talk about how you feel. Use a lot of "I" statements instead of "you" statements.

This.

People stay stuff when they're angry, and people tend to get angry when they feel attacked. Let him know how you feel once you booth are calmed down and ask for his support. People say "prove him wrong!" but it's not about him being wrong and you being right... it's about you realizing he has a point, he was hurt, and then moving on in both aspects of your life
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that he regretted those words the instant they left his mouth. He might not say it, but I guarantee watching you completely deflate in front of him he probably felt about two inches tall.

So take all that pain and hurt and frustration and channel it into the belief that you CAN do this and you CAN make yourself better. Don't do this to prove him wrong, because that's the wrong motivation. Revenge and anger are not fabulous jumping off points because eventually the hurt fades, and you may not remember why you wanted to make the change anymore. It's so hard to do, but you have to believe you are worth it and find the time to put yourself first. I struggle with this daily. But you CAN do it. Best of luck to you!
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    My husband has been so supportive of me, while I've yo-yo'd up and down 60-100 lbs several times during our 15 years together. But no matter how supportive he is, I can tell that he just has no clue about my struggles. He has no problem with his weight, and no issues with food. He listens when I cry on his shoulder, and he pays for my gym memberships and in the past, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, etc. But he kind of has this blank look on his face that tells me that he just doesn't "get" it. Sounds like your guy might have a similar issue. He probably doesn't understand that this is so much more than just going to the gym or eating better food. I would cut him some slack if that's true, but don't ignore the comment. You'll resent him for this, even after you prove him wrong. I personally say, talk to him. Tell him you understand that in the past you haven't been successful in your weight loss, but that you learn something from every attempt and you need him to support your positive efforts to continue. His comment seems to have been said in the heat of the moment, in which you were both angry. Keep that in mind. How he responds to your conversation after you've both calmed down would give you a much more realistic view of how he really feels.

That being said, go out there and prove him wrong! But don't do it for him, do it for you. Like other posters have said, make small changes. Do little things that are healthier and don't worry about changing your entire lifestyle overnight. It's easier to stick with in the long haul and you're less likely to give up. Good luck!
  • saudade87
    Options
    I cannot even put to words how amazing everyine here is- so supprotive and yet telling the truth.

I think a lot of you were right when you said that in the heat of the arguement people say bad things, and wasn't a angel at the time. i did say some bad things as well. i can understand he felt attacked about something he never knew i would need in the future.

furthermore, i do believe that it becomes harder for a person to be attracted to someone who has changed so much from the time they met them, and i have. i do believe he has that frustration, even though he hides it well.

and this, ladies and gents, was the first things he has said concerning my weight issues.

we gave each other space, mostly because i think he didn't want to say any more hurtful things. we did have a brief talk before he left for work this morning. he kept saying 'i'm so sorry' but what got me was 'i'm afraid i'm going to stay this way too. i think i was just saying how i felt about myself' (he's 50 pounds overweight as well) he promised to talk to me as soon as he was done work.

i want this to be my turning point, but i also have this fear that i'll just fail again, just like all of my other "turning points"
    i'm so over this overweight nonsense. i'm so much more that this.
    thank you everyone for this, you have no idea how much this means to me.
  • 2anagha
    2anagha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't something you can make somebody else feel, but at some point you will realize that you really control this. Don't fear falling off the wagon. Just make reasonable, small committments to yourself every day that are not necessarily anything dramatic, but are tiny steps in the right direction. Commit yourself to sticking to them, and you will not fail. The key is to just focus on going in the right direction, not seeing a particular result by a particular time. Approaching it as a marathon rather than a sprint (as cliche as that sounds...) will help you stay on track. Be reasonable to yourself and know that you won't always have the same burst of enthusiasm/commitment. Some days when you feel it more, you can push yourself harder. But on days that you don't have that burst, no need to push yourself. Just keep yourself on track those days and commit not to letting yourself go. It doesn't need to be a one-or-the-other thing. If you are thinking of ice cream, look into the vegan versions (Purely Delicious peanut butter zig sag is really good, and some others probably are too) and commit to not letting yourself eat anything decadent after 8 or 9 pm at night. Be sure to track everything honestly on MFP. You sound like a reasonable person; you can definitely do this!