Is it possible??? Toning minus weight training

Options
Hi, all! I was doing Zumba for the first 7 months and then started toning with a trainer at the same time for a month. I definitely felt a difference and saw more muscle definition. Only issue is that I have two herniated discs in my back that were discovered after a month of training (thinking it happened BEFORE I trained, but can't be certain and am not going back to the trainer since he didn't really catch on the first time I told him about my pain).

Regardless, I'm not allowed to lift or do anything too strenuous (I can do Zumba, but can't do jumps or one legged actions that exert too much weight). I'm not even really supposed to lift even 5lbs of weight. :sad: So sad since I had JUST finished a month with the trainer and my husband and I were going to start our weight program together.

My question is whether there are other options to tone without weight training AND without doing strenuous back movements that would hinder my injury? Or, do I just need to suck it up and wait another 6 months before the injury MAY be healed? :cry:

EDIT: Just for reference, the disc injuries are in lumbar (L4 and L5)

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as toning as a verb. tone is simply losing bodyfat so muscle underneath shows through. so if you'[re asking if you can lose bodyfat while not doing resistance training, the answer is yes. But if you're asking if you can look 'toned' while losing bodyfat with no resistance training, the answer is maybe, but prob not. Resistance training retains lean mass while in deficit. if you don't use it, you lose it. And losing muscle mass means nothing to show through once the body fat is gone.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as toning as a verb. tone is simply losing bodyfat so muscle underneath shows through. so if you'[re asking if you can lose bodyfat while not doing resistance training, the answer is yes. But if you're asking if you can look 'toned' while losing bodyfat with no resistance training, the answer is maybe, but prob not. Resistance training retains lean mass while in deficit. if you don't use it, you lose it. And losing muscle mass means nothing to show through once the body fat is gone.

Sorry. Should have clarfied. Yes, you are exactly right. I'm referring to losing the bodyfat for more muscle visibility. Not looking "toned". :wink: Right now, my muscles have remained the same, just the definition I was getting from the bodyfat loss has plateaued.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    weight training tells where the nutrients you consume need to go... if you dont weight train carbs wont make muscles fuller and pull skin tighter if you are in a lean state.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    weight training tells where the nutrients you consume need to go... if you dont weight train carbs wont make muscles fuller and pull skin tighter if you are in a lean state.

Sooo...pretty much I'm SOL is what you are saying. :explode:
  • Jester522
    Options
    Yeah, kinda. Sorry. Resistance training stimulates AMPK secretion and insulin sensitivity to muscle tissue for nutrient uptake rather than depositing in adipose and the extracellular matrix.

Glad we cleared up the "toning" myth.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why dont you focus on healing your body first before putting it through any type of exercise? you can still lose weight via your diet. maybe change your goals to .5-1 pound loss per week while you're unable to exercise. that way you'll have less risk of your body eating away at more of your lean body mass while you heal.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Yeah, kinda. Sorry. Resistance training stimulates AMPK secretion and insulin sensitivity to muscle tissue for nutrient uptake rather than depositing in adipose and the extracellular matrix.

LATS!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, you can do body weight. They'll have you do it in physical therapy all day long. Squats, glute bridge, planks, pushups on swiss balls. Ugh. In fact, all I recall was being tortured in physical therapy with crap like that. Torture and biofreeze.

The absolute worst thing you can do is go lie in bed and coddle yourself, I promise. Once you get the inflammation semi- under control (steroid injections, nsaids, whatever) just get back to work.

I had a nerve ablation that reduced my pain significantly, and a ton o injections - but I didn't experience true relief until I started doing weighted back squats and deadlifts, honestly. I feel like I have a whole new back these days. Except when it's raining :(
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to use resistance bands?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    sprinting and plyometrics would have a similar effect, most sprinters weight train also though.
  • georgie181
    Options
    I have been doing HIIT and other circuit style training for about 6 months and I have added weight training for 3 weeks now and I am loosing where I have been wanting to loose for months, like that bit of fat under my breasts, theres a line forming there and the shape of my ribs are show now when I stand tall! My arms look better then they have since I was a teenager and my shoulders are rounding and looking mega sexy! celulite is almost completed gone on my legs and even the inside of my thighs look great. My stomach still doesn't look amazing but damn it looks loads better! after 2 c sections I am finally starting to apreciate my body again and don't want to stop, I have done so much research into non surgical ways of improving of even deminishing that apron you get from having this surgery (especially when coupled with weight gain) is to strength train, so I am standing by this until I have a low enough body fat to see if this will work for me, if not then a mini tummy tuck is hopefully all I will need!

(by the way thats not me in the profile pic lol and if you know JNL you may recognise her, will get a pic of me up soon promise)
  • Skeebee
    Options

Appreciate the honesty. :flowerforyou:

yeah, that's why I had to rephrase the question. lol! :laugh:
  • Skeebee
    Options
    why dont you focus on healing your body first before putting it through any type of exercise? you can still lose weight via your diet. maybe change your goals to .5-1 pound loss per week while you're unable to exercise. that way you'll have less risk of your body eating away at more of your lean body mass while you heal.

Doctor told me I need to keep working out. If I don't, my back actually gets worse from inflexibility. I was not allowed to workout for 9 weeks and am now cleared and encouraged to do so. My diet is fine, but the 8 weeks, even with adjustments, I started to gain. I'm one of those that no matter how good I eat, I NEED to workout to lose.
  • Skeebee
    Options

LATS!

WAT?
  • hristossida
    hristossida Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to shed some weight, simple. Calories in < calories out. You eat less than what your body consumes essentially. Continue zumba it'll burn more calories. Just watch what you eat and stay under your Calorie maintenance.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    The absolute worst thing you can do is go lie in bed and coddle yourself, I promise.

Yup...I was forced to be in bed 9 weeks by my orthopedic. Sucked.....moving makes me feel MUUUUCH better. I had to have been driving him nuts calling him when I could start again. LOL! Lots of stretches, too.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    I have been doing HIIT and other circuit style training for about 6 months and I have added weight training for 3 weeks now and I am loosing where I have been wanting to loose for months, like that bit of fat under my breasts, theres a line forming there and the shape of my ribs are show now when I stand tall! My arms look better then they have since I was a teenager and my shoulders are rounding and looking mega sexy! celulite is almost completed gone on my legs and even the inside of my thighs look great. My stomach still doesn't look amazing but damn it looks loads better! after 2 c sections I am finally starting to apreciate my body again and don't want to stop, I have done so much research into non surgical ways of improving of even deminishing that apron you get from having this surgery (especially when coupled with weight gain) is to strength train, so I am standing by this until I have a low enough body fat to see if this will work for me, if not then a mini tummy tuck is hopefully all I will need!

(by the way thats not me in the profile pic lol and if you know JNL you may recognise her, will get a pic of me up soon promise)

Would sound good except I can't do sprints or running (I have patellae tracking disorder. can't run for the rest of my life, sad....). You mentioned, though, that you have added weight training with this. Not sure if you read my OP....:indifferent:
  • Skeebee
    Options
    If you're looking to shed some weight, simple. Calories in < calories out. You eat less than what your body consumes essentially. Continue zumba it'll burn more calories. Just watch what you eat and stay under your Calorie maintenance.

Already doing that....did a metabolic and VO2 test. Already consuming under what I'm supposed to (my MFP values are custom values). Thanks, though...
  • Skeebee
    Options
    Would you be able to use resistance bands?

Hmm...not sure on this one! Going to ask my doctor though. I would think the exertion from 30 pounds of weights would be the same as 30lbs of resistance???
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yoga and Pilates, but I would suggest a class where the instructor can tell you if certain poses are ok for your injuries.