The best yogurt choice

Options
Hi all,

I love yogurt but I have been struggling to find the best yogurt option. Low fat is easy. However low fat and with low sugar or low sweetners (zero would be perfect) has proven to be impossible. I think I have probably tried all that you can find in the supermarket: Danone shape has so much sweetner in it that you can barely eat it. The same goes for Weight Watchers. Activia zero isn't too bad, but I can only seem to find peach and vanilla and again full with sweetner....

Is it really worth going for the low fat options and get the sugar high or the normal yogurt options are the way to go?

This week I decided to give a go to the alpro soy ones, and let's see....

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Jo

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I eat Glenisk fat free organic natural yoghurt...you get all the probiotics with none of the added crap :-) You can add in stevia or honey or pure fruit jam if the taste is too 'tart' as a lot of people find it hard to eat natural yoghurt after being used to the sweetened variates!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I get greek yogurt that is on sale, usually generic(winn dixie, publix) or cabot, only a few times I've gotten fage or oikos
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Fage Total 0% greek yoghurt - 100g is only 57 kCal with 4g sugar and 10g protein.

It does take a bit of getting used to but once you get into it it's great!

You can also use it in place of sour cream as a dip. I havent' tried yet but you're also supposed to be able to use it for cooking as a milk/cream substitute.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I get Chobani plain non fat yogurt, then sweeten it with 1/2 tbls honey and strawberries. Be aware, not all greek yogurts are the same on protein. I was eating Greek Gods, then realized it didn't have nearly the same amount of protein as some of the others.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is so much higher in protein ... it's actually strained "regular" yogurt. Because the liquid that is strained out is tart ... it requires way less sugar. I personally love the texture.

Chobani is my favorite.
  • jomlto
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :) I love greek yogurt but always stay away from it, but non fat options are definitely a must buy.

I tend to buy the small yogurt pots instead of the 500ml as it's easy to carry around and have at the office. I only tried the Fage ones and I quite like them, but £1 per pot....... I'll definitely have a go at Chobani and Glenisk.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have a new rule about yogurt ... I only get the "vanilla greek yogurt fat free" and the large tub of fate 0%. I use the vanilla ones for on the go. My favorites are oikos and yoplait. I add cinnamon, oat bran and chia seed for breakfast ( rotate about three different breakfasts these days) and the fage I measure out enough to balance out my day's calories and add a teaspoon of heated lemon curd or honey. (drizzled). If I am having berries I love yogurt with it.

the ones with fruit that are affordable all have a lot of sugar it seems.

works for me!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like the Yeo valley live probiotic ones, not sure about sugar content though?
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I personally still can't eat plain, but I get some of the fruit on the bottom versions and a big container of plain and mix them together. That cuts the sugar and ups the protein. I prefer Greek and get Stonyfield Organic. There is a lowfat version, but not in my area, so I eat all fat free. One day I hope to get used to the taste enough to just add my own fruit to the plain, but not quite there yet.:blushing:
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I usually have Greek Yoghurt and add my own fruit and honey, yum!
  • ThomasPM
    ThomasPM Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the Dannon Light N Fit Greek yogurt it is new and so far only found it at walmart.

You can see it at www.dannon.com
  • Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% is the only yoghurt I've found with more protein than carbs. Love it. Mash a banana into a pot for the yummiest breakfast. If you don't like the tartness of Greek yog, add some natural stevia / truvia. Special treat: mix with a small pot of chocolate philadelphia, soooo good :D
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :) I love greek yogurt but always stay away from it, but non fat options are definitely a must buy.

I tend to buy the small yogurt pots instead of the 500ml as it's easy to carry around and have at the office. I only tried the Fage ones and I quite like them, but £1 per pot....... I'll definitely have a go at Chobani and Glenisk.

It's less expensive to buy the large size and portion it out into a portable container. That's what I do.
  • chelw727
    chelw727 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use the Dannon Light N Fit Greek yogurt it is new and so far only found it at walmart.

You can see it at www.dannon.com

^this^ I was going to suggest this!! High protein, low fat and lower in sugar, only 8 gm carbs/6 g sugar. The strawberry is amazing!!
  • Go greek!

It's the only yogurt out there I'll eat, lots of protein and great with fruit and honey!
    Oikos, Chobani, fage, and even generic brands are good.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Due to an allergy I can't do Greek Yogurt but I love my Activia light and the store brand from a store around here called Aldi.

After that I pretty much just do Yoplait, but only a few flavors because of the sweetner you speak of (Pineapple Upside down, banana cream pie, cherry, vanilla).
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    I like Astro Zero which is no fat and no added sugars and I also buy the greek yogourt called iögo... zero fat, no added sugar.
  • Carolyn307
    Carolyn307 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the Kroger brand Carbmaster yogurt. Has 60 calories, 8 protein, 4 carbs and I think 3 sugar. If you put a 1/2 cup of fiber one cereal in it you get a pretty good breakfast/snack. I'm not a fan of greek.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you have Fred Meyer or Kroger around you... check out Carbmaster yogurt. Most of them only have 4g of sugar.

Also what about greek yogurt? Add a little fruit, sugar free jam, and/or honey to sweeten it up a bit.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I eat the Chobani fat free with the fruit on the bottom. I really love it!