Help ---- I'm getting myself confused

Options
I seem to be at a plateau as have been thinking of doing a metabalism reset, but getting myself tied up in knots reading all the forums so thought i would ask questions directly hoping someone can help.

BMR is 1248
TDEE is 1498
TDEE -15% 1273

Previously i was eatting 1454 after reading the Eat More to Weigh Less Forums but not eating back my exercise calories?

Any ideas please?

Replies

• NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I seem to be at a plateau as have been thinking of doing a metabalism reset, but getting myself tied up in knots reading all the forums so thought i would ask questions directly hoping someone can help.

BMR is 1248
    TDEE is 1498
    TDEE -15% 1273

Previously i was eatting 1454 after reading the Eat More to Weigh Less Forums but not eating back my exercise calories?

Any ideas please?
    Have u asked in the EM2WL group.They are probably better at answering.Or watch the vidoes on youtube.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    How long is this "plateau"? A month or more? If not, it may not be a plateau.

How much exercise are you doing?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Are you sure that your calculations are correct because that seems like an awfully low TDEE...

Also, how are you measuring your food portions?
  • imaheal
    imaheal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :smile: Make sure to drink your water quoto. (Even though I don't always). But it really does help.
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This plateau has been for about a month.
    I do 1-3 hours of exercise a walk, walking and pilates
    I am 64 inches (5'4.5) and weigh 131 lb , i thought the TDEE was low, got it from the scooby website
    Yes i measure everything.
    I am trying to drink more water
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just do what MFP recommends for your activity level and weight loss and eat back your exercise calories. It's very simple and motivates you to exercise.
  • wellbur
    Options
    MFP says 1200, which is to low for me, i increased my calories about 5 months ago and lost most of my weight that way, just seems to have stopped now.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I am 64 inches (5'4.5) and weigh 131 lb , i thought the TDEE was low, got it from the scooby website

Your TDEE is incorrect, so you have been netting below BMR. That's why you've plateaued.

I don't know what your proper TDEE is, but just your exercise tells me the one you've been using is too low.
  • wellbur
    Options
    Yes i have just checked it on scooby and it is
    TDEE1551 with no exercise - 15% 1319
    TDEE 1778 with 1-3 hours exercise - 15% 1511

what would people recommend do no exercise figure and eat back all exercise calories or higher figure. Also how long would people recommend eating at TDEE - 15% before reducing it again to -20%
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I used this calculator for you. I set your activity level at light exercise (because I'm assuming that 1-3 hours is a week not daily- if it is daily, up your activity level to at least moderate) and guessed your age as around 35. It says your TDEE is 1863 and your BMR 1355. Even if you go up to age 75 (which I KNOW you are not) it doesn't drop down below 1600. Try using this calculator and make sure you set the right activity level.

Also, I asked about how you measured your food because quite frequently using measuring cups/spoons leaves more room for mistakes. You simply responded that it's measured which wasn't really an answer. Try weighing things with a simple digital kitchen scale with a tare function. In the end it's also simpler and you won't have nearly as many dishes to do!
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I always use this for calculating my BMR and TDEE. http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fitness-and-diet-tips/determining-your-AMR

Because you are quite low, I'd say nothing more than a 10% reduction in your TDEE to be honest. You should want to eat as much as you can whilst still losing................In all honesty, you may be better off just eating your TDEE for a month to regulate yourself.

Are you sure you're calculating your exercise cals correctly? Do you use a HRM at all?

what would people recommend do no exercise figure and eat back all exercise calories or higher figure. Also how long would people recommend eating at TDEE - 15% before reducing it again to -20%
  • wellbur
    Options
    No i measure everything on kitchen scales... my husband thinks i'm mad , but i feel better to get it right. I'm 48,

thank you for your help... i will have a look at the website you mentioned :flowerforyou:
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

So you did have it wrong in the beginning? Because you said before that the information you gave was for your TDEE and those numbers are much lower than these.

You don't have much to lose so eat at TDEE minus 10%
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    No i measure everything on kitchen scales... my husband thinks i'm mad , but i feel better to get it right. I'm 48,

thank you for your help... i will have a look at the website you mentioned :flowerforyou:

Both sites say the same thing. For your age, height, weight and activity level you should be eating at TDEE minus 10% which equals out to about 1600 calories. I would try that.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am also confused! lol. What exactly is this TDEE? What is it used for? I figured mine out, but what do I do with that number? Any little bit of help would be great. I seem to be in the rut of gain, lose, gain .. and repeat. Thanks!
  • wellbur
    Options
    Yes i had it wrong in the beginning. thanks for you help, will try that TDEE - 10% for a while
  • wellbur
    Options
    So i'm happy that I should try at 1600, but do I only eat my calories back if my Net goes under my BMR of 1298, or do i eat all my calories back?
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Hi. I am also confused! lol. What exactly is this TDEE? What is it used for? I figured mine out, but what do I do with that number? Any little bit of help would be great. I seem to be in the rut of gain, lose, gain .. and repeat. Thanks!

TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's all the calories you burn in a day. This includes exercise if you do any, walking around, sitting at your desk, sleeping, etc.

If you used the the calculator that I posted, you need to figure out what percentage amount to cut from that between 5% and 30 % typically. If you're severely obese, use a 30 percent cut. If you're very overweight try 20%. If you're moderately overweight try 15%. If you have less than 30 pounds to lose, try 10%. If you don't accurately measure your food, this will be hard to do correctly though. So, if you don't want to put the effort in to measure and weight things, this probably isn't for you and you should stick with MFP defaults with a reasonable goal per week. (like not trying to lose 2 pounds a week when you only have 10 pounds to lose)

With this method you don't eat back exercise calories. This allows you to eat a set amount at all times. I prefer the stability of this method.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    So i'm happy that I should try at 1600, but do I only eat my calories back if my Net goes under my BMR of 1298, or do i eat all my calories back?

You don't eat exercise calories back unless it falls below your BMR. However, if you feel hungry, try eating about half of them back. You'll still lose weight.

I almost never eat any exercise calories back but that's just me.
  • wellbur
    Options
    :smile: thank you, you have been a great help. Feel like i know what i'm doing which is half the battle isn't it?