Serious Q for those that practice"lifting heavy"

Options
Hello ladies and gentlemen who lift regularly!

I am just beginning to do strength and weight training again. I didnt realize how out of shape ive gotten over the years! On the days that I lift I feel fine but my body has been getting really sore the day after and sometimes the soreness lasts for 2-3 days.
Do you guys keep to your workout program and push through the pain or what? I know I should be training different body parts and having rest days but it still overlaps sometimes. What do you guys do? Is it irregular for it to last more than a day? Should I lift less heavy weights? I never asked a trainer but I really dont think its my form. I took weight training for two years back in high school and did a 3 month personal training session with a trainer at 24 hour fitness recently.

Thanks for any tips!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yes it's normal, it's called DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness.

DOMS is always worse when you either start a new routine with different exercises or do the same exercises in different rep ranges, or something your body is not used to.

You will find however that after a while you begin to get less sore as your ability to recover improves. I have been doing the same routine for about 5 months now and I don't get doms much any more really, despite doing more reps every week. DOMS is not an indicator of a good workout like many people think.

You can train thought it if it's not too bad, sometimes training the muscle again actually seems to improve recovery.
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    agree with that guy ^
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Keep going. Over time it'll get less and less.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Good topic.

Just wondering, if you train whilst still sore from the previous session, would it hamper muscle growth?
  • Josh2040
    Josh2040 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yes it's normal, it's called DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness.

DOMS is always worse when you either start a new routine with different exercises or do the same exercises in different rep ranges, or something your body is not used to.

You will find however that after a while you begin to get less sore as your ability to recover improves. I have been doing the same routine for about 5 months now and I don't get doms much any more really, despite doing more reps every week. DOMS is not an indicator of a good workout like many people think.

You can train thought it if it's not too bad, sometimes training the muscle again actually seems to improve recovery.

^^This^^
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i always rest until i'm no longer walking or moving like a robot. muscles ONLY grow during sleep you know.
  • ogriffix
    Options
    weeks 1-4, you will be lifting in the 8-12 rep range. What this means is that you want to complete at least 8 reps but no more than 12 reps for each set. If you cannot complete 8 reps, then the weight is too heavy and you should decrease the load. If you can complete more than 12 reps, then the weight is too light and you should increase the load.
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I work out heavy tues,thurs, sat. the days inbetweeen help me recover. In the first week if you are really bad I would say to leave a little more maybe 2 days inbetween. remember muscles arn't built in the Gym -thats where you are breaking them down - you need the rest period to recover and prevent over training. for maximum muscle results you really want to be doing HIT (look up MIke Mentser) but this isnt for everyone.
    xxx
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt over time....keep with your program. Warm up for 5 mins before Lifting (either crosstrainer, treadmill, or jumping jacks etc) - only do static stretches after a workout not before. Ensure that you fuel up (eating & drinking) correctly after your workout. Ensure you have good form when Lifting and stop if you feel a pain that is totally abnormal.
    Listen to your body and enjoy the process. Best of luck with Lifting, you will definitely reap the benefits if you continue :)
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also on this subject if you are struggling to recover make sure you are eating properly for your goal and may want to look into some supplements to help if you are serious about weight training (BCAAs are good at helping recovery)
    xx
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Fish oil helps with DOMS btw.
    Love DOMS!
  • cartoonfruit
    Options
    You can do some stretches to help the soreness, but make sure you're moving the muscles. If you let your muscles stay in one position as "rest", it can actually make it worse, I think (well for me anyway). I always continue training the muscle (maybe at less intensity) and always always stretch it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Good topic.

Just wondering, if you train whilst still sore from the previous session, would it hamper muscle growth?
    No. In fact, training while still sore is one of the best ways to get rid of the soreness.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Good topic.

No. In fact, training while still sore is one of the best ways to get rid of the soreness.

I'm not bothered about soreness. I can deal with pain. I'm a man. :laugh:

I just don't want to make growth slow down as I'm a "hard gainer". So not much of a man. :sad:

I just recall hearing that many lifters find training any muscle group once a week is enough to experience decent growth ie having plenty of recovery time.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    What Hendrix said.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am no way an expert but I lift dumbells and olympic bar I lift with out doing deep squats becuase I have a bad knee injury but get good effect doing micro squats and dead lifts.

Day 1 I do my upper body starting with the large muscle groups working towards the small ones (E.G hammer curls for forearms)
    Day 2 I row 30-45 minutes
    Day 3 I do my lower boddy and abs
    Day 4 I row or treadmill
    Day 5 I row or treadmill
    Day 6 Start again

This works for me because I have a 'rest' day between lifting days I track my excercise the weigth and sets and reps in each set - I mark up the ones that have got easy so I know to increase for that excercise.

I always hurt after I have increased weights I tend to like it I think I have actually 'worked' out!

Kepp going!!!
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and follow the following routine:

Monday - Chest & Abs & run at lunch time
    Tuesday - PM running group - trng for Marine Corps Marathon
    Wednesday - Legs & Abs & run at lunch time
    Thursday - Back and Bi's
    Friday - Shoulders and Tri's & run at lunch time
    Saturday - AM running group - trng for Marine Corps Marathon
    Sunday is my rest day.....
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Thanks for the topic, and comments. I guess then I will crank through my legs routine tomorrow morning even though after 5 days rest my legs are still kiling me from the last routine. My rest is not perfect because I am also a serious runner. I don't care about the pain - I just want to know it is helping with the muscle gain. Base on the comments here, I guess it helps.