Most Accurate Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hi!!

Do you find yourself ever plagued by the varying read-outs you get after a work out and that uncertainty it leaves you with? Did I burn 556 calories or 1022? Every place you try to track the numbers is nothing more than a best estimate. In my opinion, nothing that is tracking a workout without any numbers like heart rate, speed, etc just isn't worth the time of day.

I'd really like to make it count though, every work out I get in. I want to know if I am short changing myself or in fact achieving more than I thought!

It has become apparent that tracking calories is, to some extent, the most straight forward part of the job. It's the calorie expenditure part that is rather vague. That is why it seems so essential to have a good heart rate monitor, but where to start? Any model will have both good and bad reviews, so which model is best?

I've narrowed my choice down (based on best reviews, features I am looking for, price and even style) to the Polar FT4T or Polar FT40T (think those are the right names!?).

Some people say their monitors estimate WAY too many calories burned so where on earth does one find the most accurate one? :indifferent:

I'm pretty poor so anything I'd even consider would have to be under $100 or slightly over. I realize at this price the accuracy will drop greatly but, the best I can get, will do.

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Replies

• Truecullers72
    Truecullers72 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I just recently purchased the Polar Ft4 and I love it. I acutually used it while at the gym on the treadmill and it gave me the same HR and calorie reading as the treadmill so based on that I feel that its pretty accurate.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I just recently purchased the Polar Ft4 and I love it. I acutually used it while at the gym on the treadmill and it gave me the same HR and calorie reading as the treadmill so based on that I feel that its pretty accurate.

If you were using it at the same time, the treadmill probably picked up on your HR sensor and gave you the same readings as your HRM had. The elliptical at my gym picks up my HR from my chest strap, so I can stay focused while not having to keep checking my watch (I also have the watch set at percentages sop it's nice to see the actual HR as well)
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yes those are the right names. A lot of my friends have a FT4 and say it's great, very easy and basic to use and fairly cheap. I ordered the FT40 which is about £40 more, shall be getting is very soon.

I think it's a good idea to invest in a HRM, as you said there are many out there, can take a while to do your reserach but I agree with you, those Polar Monitors seem to be the best at a lower price =]
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    As for a HRM, I have the Polar FT40, which I highly recommend. I also know the FT60 is pretty awesome. On here people talk alot about the FT4 for a bit of a cheaper option. Either way, get it online if you can as that seems to be cheaper (at least for me the online prices are more than 50% off the retail price, but then again where I live everything is expensive so it's hardly surprising..)
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If you were using it at the same time, the treadmill probably picked up on your HR sensor and gave you the same readings as your HRM had. The elliptical at my gym picks up my HR from my chest strap, so I can stay focused while not having to keep checking my watch (I also have the watch set at percentages sop it's nice to see the actual HR as well)

Though the machines pick up the HR, the heart rate is not used in the calories burned formula.
  • chiefwilson
    chiefwilson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greetings,

I use a Timex Heart Rate Monitor watch, and it's included chest strap. I find this to be most accurate, since the belt is centered on my chest, and the watch knows (through set-up) my current weight and maximum heart rate.

When I run, lift weights, play racquetball, (I.e. all the athletics that require an on-the-body heart rate monitor) I know exactly how many calories I'm burning.

Hope this helps!
  • falcon367
    Options
    I have a Timex Easy Trainer available on Amazon for $34 and am happy with it. It's definitely the lower class of HRM's out there, but it still had a chest strap and has made my workouts far more productive. It does not give a calorie burn, but an average HR over the period of the workout. That's an easy plug in to any online calorie calculator.

My only advice would be to stay clear of the HRM's that do not have a chest strap and run based on just a "wrist watch" <<< suspect HR numbers.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT60 and love it to be honest! It will say whether I need to train less in a certain zone, and it will also say whether my performance, fitness or fat burning is improving so it constantly motivates me!
  • sandykdela
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 & I love it. I've had it since July. I'm not an expert, but I believe that it is very accurate based on the reading I get and how I feel physically. Good luck!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is your go-to HRM for calorie and fitness monitoring.

If you do a lot of outdoor running or cycling, you may instead want to consider a Garmin Forerunner, which will also monitor speed and distance during your workout and allow you to plan a workout in advance in terms of speed and effort.

However, please bear in mind that even the best HRM is only 75% accurate for calorie burn. They use a standard correlation between heart rate and energy expenditure for an average person of a given height and weight.

Also they will not give you an accurate burn during resistance training as your heart rate spikes, nor swimming as they do not transmit well through water.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Polar FT4!