What I've learned from the past 4 months

Options
I'm down 18lbs since the end of may, and along the way I've stumbled, cried, sweated and wanted to give up. I've read up on everything possible, and tried to soak it all up. Macros are confusing, low carb this, no don't you dare do low carb. Lift heavy, do cardio. Do this, don't do this. It can all be pretty confusing. This is what I've learned throughout this journey. I still have a ways to go, albeit not too much more.

1.NEVER give up.
You have no idea how many times (especially early on like the first two months.) I wanted to quit. I didn't see the results, they weren't coming fast enough. The effort i was putting in wasn't worth the measly 2lbs coming off the scale. BUT I didn't give in. I kept pushing through. Started to take progress pictures and that's when I saw results. I still sometimes don't see the difference in the mirror. It depends on the day. Now boom! 4 months have passed and I'm down 18lbs. My 5K time is down 9 minutes and I am starting to enjoy running.

2. Rest days are okay. You are not an olympic athlete (yet.)
I started by going to the gym. Doing 10 minutes on the treadmilll then milling around using the machines. I was working out 6-7 days a week because I wanted results and I wanted them straight away. Little did I know my body needs rest in order to give me the results I want. I started JM's 30DS. I made sure to take a rest day every 5 days, and now I work out 5 days a week. I take two rest days. the other day's I do a DVD and run anywhere from 15-20 minutes after. If I don't do a DVD I make sure to stay on the treadmill/run outside for 20 minutes at least.

3. Don't be AFRAID to ask for help.
If you go to a gym, don't be afraid to ask. I remember trying to use the bicep curl machine and not being able to figure it out. (i can be an idiot. lol) and would just walk away, embarassed. One day a big guy that obviously has spent many hours at the gym came over and helped me and said "if you see me around and need help. Just ask. I'll be happy to help." and he became my go to guy with the machines. Proper form helped me excel.

4. Switch it up. Diet-wise, work-out wise. Keep your body guessing.
I started cutting down my portions and working out. Mostly strength but a bit of cardio (just to say I did it). After a while my weightloss stalled and I got disheartened. Read up on all diets out there. Paleo was the big thing, but doesn't fit my lifestyle so I opted for low card, and starting JM 30DS after reading all the reviews and seeing everyone's fab results. BAM, 10lbs came off like nobody's business. Then again the weightloss stalled, and I have started carb cycling as well as doing more cardio along with my DVDs. My body is not used to running, and adding a 1.5-3mile run 2-3 times a week has really helped kick start my weightloss. I only have 4 lbs left so it's coming off slower, but I am averaging about .5lb-1lb a week.

These are my results so far. I'm 5'4 and my current measurements are 38, 27.5, 38. I wear a size 4/6 bottom, size 6 dress and M shirt.

From 150lbs may 25th (highest was 155lbs. NO PICS! lol) to about 145 mid july

20487617_9034.jpg

to mid august (about 140)

20487617_3790.jpg

20487617_4848.jpg

to yesterday (135)

20487617_3128.jpg

Replies

• Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! Its all SO true!!!

Your photos are a-MAAAAAZ-ing!!!!!!
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You look great! Thank you for that inspiration!!!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    That's a great post, really inspirational...well done, you look great!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    AWESOME spy girl - i start JM30DS level 2 tomorrow - hoping (fighting) for the same results!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    AWESOME spy girl - i start JM30DS level 2 tomorrow - hoping (fighting) for the same results!

Thank you doll :smile:

I'm so happy you're sticking with 30DS! how are you feeling? and how is Zumba going?

Thank you everyone.
  • newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you have done such a good job! I am struggling at the moment and this has given me a kick up the butt! I am a little taller than you, 5'6 and am around the same weight as what you started at. Hope I can end up looking as good as you! xx
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    well done amiga
  • alleycat88
    Options
    Congratulations, you have done such a good job! I am struggling at the moment and this has given me a kick up the butt! I am a little taller than you, 5'6 and am around the same weight as what you started at. Hope I can end up looking as good as you! xx

Good luck, and happy I could kick you in the behind. lol
  • rmojo13
    rmojo13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well put. You are almost there! Congrats on your success and good luck for those last 2 to go.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...you did a fantastic job!:flowerforyou:
  • successiswithinme
    Options
    great job!!!
  • alleycat88
    Options
    One last thing

listen to your body!

If you're hungry, eat. If you feel sick don't force yourself to the gym. If you hurt yourself take time to heal. Listen to what your body tells you.

:drinker:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job ....... and I've no doubt that you'll reach your goal !
  • nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Super inspirational! Thanks for posting!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!