New and Just quit smoking

I'm a 44 year old female, mother to a 7 year old son. Monday September 10, 2012 I smoked my LAST cigarette and quit COLD Turkey!! It has been quite a ride for the last 8 days but I am determined to be smoke free AND Healthy!! I need all the advice and support anyone has to offer on quitting smoking AND NOT gaining weight. :)

Replies

• kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Well done :) Giving up smoking is so difficult ...It does get easier x
  • I had my last cigarette only two days ago and I'm determined not to eat everything in site as a result. I started keeping sugar free gum with me when the urge to smoke arises. It seems to calm the craving for nicotine and to stop me from running to the vending machine or staring deeply into my fridge for something to nosh on until the desire for a smoke passes.

Best of luck!
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Join the quit smoking group on MFP, I just did because quitting is still on my to do list!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Congratulations!! Quitting smoking is HARD...I seriously tried 3 or 4 times before I was finally successful. Everyone's addiction is different, but for me, I had to keep my hands busy. I cut a plastic drinking straw down to the size of a cigarette and just played with it when I was feeling antsy. It was amazing how much it helped and I didn't care if I looked silly doing it. I tried knitting but that was too sedentary...I couldn't do anything else while I knitted, whereas with the straw I could move around the house doing stuff, etc. I tried chewing gum but that just got nasty after awhile (all that artificial flavor). I chewed ice. After the first 2 or 3 weeks my smoker's cough was gone and I felt like I could breathe more deeply...so I increased my running time and speed. Food started tasting a lot better and I admit I did put on about 10lbs, but now that I haven't smoked in over 13 years (!!), those 10lbs were worth it.

Good luck and hang in there! It gets easier!!
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    I quit in March of this year...joined MFP and have kept the weight off and feel great! You will be fine if you remember one thing....Do what you say you are going to do!!

Dino
  • Thank You... It is the hardest thing I have EVER done!!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    I gave up 16 years ago. For a few months I chewed licorice root when I was doing stuff I used to light up for - e.g. using the computer or doing woodwork(I used to make toys as a hobby) or driving.- but never out in the sight of my wife!
    The worst weekend was when I ran out of licorice root and Holland & Barrett didn't have any in stock!

I never did miss the smoking - but I did put on weight without increasing food intake (or so I told myself)

smoking definitely is an appetite suppressant - luckily, so is exercise.

Good luck
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Quit smoking is so damn easy!

Did it lots of time and again and again....no problem ;)

Good luck! You Will do it!
  • Congrats on quitting. I quit cold turkey over 2 years ago, my weigt only fluxuated about 10 pounds and I kept busy with crocheting, chewing gum, walking, peppermint candy, altoids, and ginger altoids is a good source to helps also if you can find them. Low calorie snacks will help with the cravings anything green like celery, a handful of lettuce greens, or carrot sticks (crunch factor for me) did it for me. Lots of exercise and tons of water. One of the bad things for me is is coffee tasted bad for me for about 6 or 8 months after I quit smoking, but it finally started to taste better when my taste buds started coming back. It does get easier though and there will be a time where the cravings will be few and far between.
  • Congrats to quitting! I am on day 98 of not smoking:) You can totally do this!
  • Quit smoking is so damn easy!

Did it lots of time and again and again....no problem ;)

Good luck! You Will do it!
    LOL!
  • Good on you. I stopped on Sunday the 2nd September after my father died at the age of 60 through a short battle with Lung cancer. Think of your child everytime you even think about a cigarette and you will do it. Good on you and GOOD LUCK. If I can do it then trust me anyone can and I am sure you will.

Plus now that you have posted it on here that you are stopping I am sure there will be plenty of people who will support you. Good luck. x
  • It was very difficult for me to stop smoking 2 years ago. I started and stopped a few times. Then when I took some time off work I just thought I was spending so much money on buying them I could take the kids to a movie instead. Two years later I am 40 pound over weight but now the weight is coming off and I can keep up with the kids. Good luck. I actually had a rubber bracelet and when I felt like smoking I would snap it. My doctor told me to do that it did help.
  • You can also add me as a friend.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    I quit smoking July 15 (using the patch) and have lost 10 lbs. Been off the patch 3 weeks and it feels great. I do have to watch ever bite that goes in tho. It was very hard at first to control it but, it does get easier.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Congrats to you on quitting...Here is a great MFP group you should check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/755-quitting-smoking

Best of luck to you!!! You CAN do it!!!:flowerforyou:
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    I've been smoke free for 2.5 years. You can do it. Start exercising to forget about smoking and start feeling good!!!
  • October 31st will be my 3rd anniversary of quitting smoking. It was friggin' hard but so worth it, haven't looked back. I did gain weight but needed to focus more on staying smoke-free. Remember...one thing at a time and one day at a time. You're better off gaining an few pounds and being smoke-free!! Good luck!!
  • I quit smoking Sept 3rd. You can add me as a friend if you like. Good Luck
  • dmcole13
    dmcole13 Posts: 133 Member
    After losing 35lbs in 8mths, I decided it was time to try & quit smoking, after 30+ years. My dr suggested the elec. cig. They have cartridges with different nicotine levels included no nicotine. It's really helped me, seems like the only time I pick it up is driving to & from work. Did gain 18lbs in 3mths, but started a walking program & have now lost those 18lbs in the past month. Now back to 35lbs down & 4 months tobacco free!!! Good luck & friend me if you like.