Tip: Throw out the office chair and get one of these!

Options

Replies

• Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I never asked my company if I could use one, I just brought it in, though I work for a fairly small company. I started using one years ago - just the ball and rolled over a staple so it wouldnt keep air. I got on a health kick again this year and bought the base with wheels and a new ball, so it rolls just like an office chair and I won't puncture the ball :-) I love it! My co-worker's think it's a neat concept but so far I'm still the only one in the buiding using one...
  • inkjetcanvas
    Options
    i have one that i hadnt been using, had meant to do it for a while, this thred has inspired/reminded me to roll it out of the corner and i am sitting on it now. :)

Woohoo! So glad to help!
    THANK YOU for such a great idea! I sit at a desk 7 of the 8 hours I am at work and have back and tailbone issues that I battle because of it.....not to mention inactivity!
    Just went and talked to the office manager and not only was he for it, he wants to know how it works out for me and if it is a good thing he will toss it out as a suggestion to the rest of the staff!

This is fantastic. I also had lower back and posture issues from office chairs, the Yoga ball has helped me a lot!
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I read recently about a teacher that incorporated this into her classroom. She was able to get a ball donated for each of her students and they sit on those instead of chairs. I thought that sounded like a great idea. I work for the state so I'm not sure if it would go over so great here either although i'm going to ask.
  • akarney
    akarney Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting on mine now! I work for the state and just brought it in. No one has said anything and I've had it here for 2+ years. Some of my co-workers borrow it when I'm not using it if they are having back problems.

The only problem is when it's rainy or snowy outside and I come in with wet shoes.....gets the bum wet too! haha.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    As much as I'd love to do this, I don't see this going so well where I work. haha. Pretty sure I wouldn't even be able to get in the door with one!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've been sitting on a gym ball for a couple of months now. I didn't ask work, I just turned up with it one day and nobody argued.
  • kym123tx
    kym123tx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Im so gonna have to do this! i sit on the comp all day! and this sounds like a great idea thanks!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    They said even though I was working on my own time it was still an Insurance issue.

I C....and being overweight and/or unfit are LESS of an insurance issue??
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to ask if they would let me do this. I know the answer will be NO! We just recently acquired another company where we shut down their plant and brought everything here. Well, that other company had treadmills and such at their location, but the HR dept here refused to bring them over because of liability issues. So lame! In an age where it is becoming popular to offer your employees these perks, my company flat out refuses to do it even when given the equipment for free!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    As soon as I read this I immediatly went and got it and sat on it and my lower back feels so much better! Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. Yoga balls are not allowed at our office because tend to do dumb things on them and then wind up on workers comp.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    A girl where i work had one a few years ago. Her's hit a corner of the drawer and she popped it. She fell flat on her *kitten*. It was hilarious !
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    To any of you who have had your company say no:

If you are in the US, talk to your doctor. Get a note from your doctor that states that you NEED this setup. Your company cannot legally deny it then. If your doctor prescribes it, the company MUST comply.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I couldn't use it at work... the desk and computer are too high up. BUT you have me thinking about using it just to sit on at home for sure! Especially during 'tv time'... thanks for the idea!
  • tkb3abby
    tkb3abby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What an AWESOME idea for kids when they are spending time in front of the TV!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My office chair is in my living room. Where kids like to play. And where a ball would not last 5 minutes.

Sigh.
  • tamihend
    tamihend Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My son has a lot of back/hip problems and he gave up the chair a few months ago and now stands. His back is so much better. I spend a lot of time on my computer at home and I've been standing at my desk for the last two weeks. I'm not just standing there - I'm - either rocking back and forth, doing calf raises or hip circles or some other lower body movement. My husband laughed at me at first but last night he asked if he could have my chair (it's a good one) since I'm not using it any more. I'd like to get a second monitor and then I could use the balance ball when I feel like sitting.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    for those that can't have a fit ball,
    what about a Hawaii chair??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_amg-Aos4

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I could use one in my surgery(?).

Regarding the Human Resources fellahs who say "Insurance won't allow it", have they actually asked the insurance companies?

In UK we have Health & Safety issues that are dreamed up by 'jobsworths' who have have never referred to HSE.
    When asked HSE may well respond, "How else are you going to do it"

Can you ask to see in writing where the insurance company say it is not allowed. - without incurring disciplinary proceedings for impertinence?

Luckily, I am my own boss so if I can figure it out I might give myself permission.
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I work for the VA in Wichita, Kansas and my manager and 2 of the nurse practitioners use them. I already have an ergonomic chair for doing ultrasound which does the same thing for me, keeps me from slouching and supports my arms during patient testing.