Retaining Water?

Options
I've been working out like crazy and I've been eating a lot better (trying to stay as clean as I can with my food). However, I've gained two pounds. I'm not entirely sure what's going on since I've lost an additional 2 1/2 inches from my waist. I think I might be retaining water. Is there a way I can shed the extra water weight? Anyone have any tips or tricks? Thanks!

Replies

• jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    drinking tea is my usual answer, but why worry about it?... does it really matter what the scale says if you know that it's just water and you're LOOKING and feeling better :)..... the water weight will come off when your body no longer needs it... relax and feel good, you're in control

:flowerforyou:
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I try drinking water with lemon and sometimes when I'm retaining water in my muscles after a hard workout I take an epsum salt bath which seems to help...if nothing else it's very soothing. =)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining fluid to repair themselves - this is a byproduct of exercise.

Take a couple of rest days and weigh yourself again. The number should go down.

You can also watch the sodium in your diet and make sure you are getting enough protein.
  • tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining fluid to repair themselves - this is a byproduct of exercise.

You can also watch the sodium in your diet and make sure you are getting enough protein.

What it says above and increase your water intake as strange as it sounds you will eliminate more water that way.
  • LoraF83
    Options

What it says above and increase your water intake as strange as it sounds you will eliminate more water that way.
    \

Was actually coming back to edit my post to add that - forgot the first time! You are correct - drink plenty of water :drinker:
  • kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    iam also having water retention issues coz of my thyroid condition so annoying right! i heard high protein and low carb diet works and i read get rid of wheat from our diet and we will lose all the water weight
  • jc501
    jc501 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    2 months ago I hit a plateau and I was retaining water. I started researching some remedies. I read that green tea helps with both weight loss plateau and water retention. I started drinking Tazo Zen green tea....I am back to losing! Also, I have not had bloating issues before my cycle since drinking green tea. I drink about 2-3 cups a day.

Here is some info that I found on LiveStrong.com

"Green tea is a popular herbal beverage and weight loss supplement. Unlike other types of tea, green tea is made from unfermented leaves, so it contains the highest concentration of potent antioxidants called polyphenols. The University of Maryland Medical Center notes extracts of green tea are shown to boost the metabolism and stimulate fat burning. Because the herb is naturally caffeinated, it has a diuretic effect on the body, which helps reduce water retention through increased urination. For best results, choose standardized extracts of green tea in dosages of 100 to 750 mg daily. In tea form, 2 to 3 cups daily is recommended. Talk to a health care professional before using green tea, particularly if you're sensitive to caffeine or using other medications."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/412098-herbal-remedies-for-bloating-water-retention/#ixzz26pcS82P1

Hope this helps!
  • lightheartedangel
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been eating a ton of veggies lately. I'll try and up my protein a little bit more. :)
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ive found that this problem for me was caused mainly by my salt intake. add sodium to what you monitor on MFP and you will likely find the same thing. If i eat out almost anywhere or eat lunch meat, i will gain a lot of water weight and i can see it in my legs.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    also if i have a really bad day for salt intake, the next day i take a green tea pill or drink green tea a lot.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? If you are not drinking enough sometimes yoyur body will hold onto it,also watch intake of sodium,there is alot hidden in refueling drinks. Plain water,or water w/fresh lemons,limes better for you.
  • Wendy595
    Wendy595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Definitely watch your sodium intake. I had to start watching when I found out I had high HBP. I didn't realize how much sodium I was putting in my body! I have days where I still go over though.
  • lightheartedangel
    Options
    At work I drink nothing but water. I talk on the phone all day so I need it so I don't lose my voice. Usually I can get in all eight glasses before I leave for the day, then in the evening I'll have a 8 oz glass of almond milk and some more water. Sometimes I make myself a Crystal Light with dinner.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    what foods would generally cause you to have high amounts of sodium in your diet aside salt?..don't really know how to go about cutting this down
  • LoraF83
    Options
    what foods would generally cause you to have high amounts of sodium in your diet aside salt?..don't really know how to go about cutting this down

Pretty much any packaged food. Also, low-fat, low sugar, and low calorie foods are typically loaded with sodium (to create flavor after the fat/sugar is removed - they have to make it taste good somehow). Restaurant food can also be high in sodium, particularly in places where the ingredients were previously frozen (think Applebees, Chili's, TGI Fridays, pretty much any chain restaurant).
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Pretty much any packaged food. Also, low-fat, low sugar, and low calorie foods are typically loaded with sodium (to create flavor after the fat/sugar is removed - they have to make it taste good somehow). Restaurant food can also be high in sodium, particularly in places where the ingredients were previously frozen (think Applebees, Chili's, TGI Fridays, pretty much any chain restaurant).

ok thanks for that, guess just have to be wise...cause going for low calorie foods may mean high sodium content.