Need help with Tilapia

Options
Hey so I am adding fish into my current nutrition plan it was my first time cooking tilapia and boy is it bland as hell any help would be great for some healthy recipes mainly dry rubs as I broil/bake all my food and don't cook with oils thanks.

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Just a caution to watch the source of your tilapia. You do NOT want to eat fish raised in Chinese fish farms.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I bake mine with Real Lemon and spice with sea salt, pepper and dill. It does help give it more flavour without adding fat.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Cracked pepper and cajun seasoning = YUM!!!
  • JessKrcmar
    JessKrcmar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bake mine with Real Lemon and spice with sea salt, pepper and dill. It does help give it more flavour without adding fat.

I do the exact same thing ^. Sometimes use a little low-sodium seasoning salt instead of sea salt. But I love real lemon and dill on fish!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Just a caution to watch the source of your tilapia. You do NOT want to eat fish raised in Chinese fish farms.

This scares me! Going home to check my bag of "Farm raised tilapia"....
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm having tilapia tonight with parm cheese, mayo lemon juice and onion powder.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Pan sear it and serve it with a curry sauce! I adore curry powder and plain yogurt as a sauce on bland things.

Actually, that sounds pretty good for supper tonight. (grin)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you stop playing with your dong in your avatar....

Simple Cajun rubs are great to broil with, and some bbq rubs. I also love the curry sauce ideas!
  • jrob454960
    jrob454960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has an absolutely amazing Cilantro Lima Tilapia Taco recipe that is out of this world! I had never had a fish taco before, but I have had bland tilapia, and this kicked it out of the park. Makes a great all around meal.

Here it is:
    Cilantro Lime Tilapia Tacos-Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 tacos • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 319 • Fat: 12 g • Protein: 26.5 g • Carb: 33.7 g • Fiber: 9.7 g • Sugar: 3.6 g
    Sodium: 76.2 mg (without salt)
    Ingredients:
    1 lb tilapia fillets, rinsed and pat dried
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely minced
    2 jalapeño peppers, chopped (seeds removed for less heat)
    2 cups diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    3 tbsp lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    8 5-inch white corn tortillas (I used La Tortilla Factory Fiber & Flax)
    1 medium haas avocado, sliced
    lime wedges and cilantro for garnish

Directions:
    Heat olive oil in a skillet. Sauté onion until translucent, then add garlic. Mix well.
    Place tilapia on the skillet and cook until the flesh starts to flake. Add jalapeño peppers, tomatoes, cilantro
    and lime juice. Sauté over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, breaking up the fish with the spoon to get
    everything mixed well; season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Meanwhile, heat tortillas on a skillet a few minutes on each side to warm (no oil needed). Serve a little over
    1/4 cup of fish on each warmed tortillas with a slice or 2 of avocado and enjoy!
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I heat a nonstick pan with 1 TBSP of EVOO to medium/5..once the oil is sizzling, I put in the tilapia filets (usually 2) and apply a liberal amount of coarsely ground pepper to the side that is up. Leave alone for 4 minutes. Turn over, and again apply a liberal amount of coarsely ground pepper and leave alone for another 4 minutes.

Simple, and the flavor from the pepper and olive oil is delicious and slightly spicy. My boyfriend likes to top his filet with sriracha. Salsa would also be good.
  • dimpls98
    dimpls98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Old Bay seasoning! Simple and tasty! Good luck!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like to marinade tilapia in some lime juice and tequila with cilantro, salt, and pepper. Broil, grill, pan fry, it all works. You only need to marinade for a short time, 30 minutes works.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I simply season it with caribbean jerk and pepper & swipe a small amount of extra virgin olive oil on it with a food brush and bake it. Yum!

But if you really need more flavor then that you could try some pre-made fish sauces (careful of sodium content). Alos, a lot of fish goes well with stuff like mango salsa.
  • UniformMr
    Options
    Cover with the Mango salsa from Costco, and bake.

Incredible!
  • JBrown9538
    JBrown9538 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    • 4 2.5-oz. tilapia filets
    • 16 stalks asparagus, trimmed
    • 8 small carrots, halved lengthwise
    • 1 tsp. garlic-herb salt-free seasoning
    • 4 thin orange or lemon slices, halved
    • 1 roll parchment paper
    • 1 tbs. olive oil
    • 1/2 tsp. salt & pepper

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 4 12" squares of parchment paper and fold in half. For each packet, put 4 asparagus, 4 carrots, and 1 fillet on one side of the crease. Sprinkle with olive oil and seasoning.
    • Top with fruit slices. Then, fold paper over fish and vegetables. Make two or three 1" folds on the short ends, then repeat on the long side to enclose. Arrange on a large baking sheet.
    • Bake for about 12 minutes. Check for doneness by unrolling a flap of paper (fish should flake easily and vegetables should be crisp-tender).
    • Using scissors, carefully cut through the top of each pack, pulling paper away to expose the fish and veggies. Serve with brown rice.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    thank you everyone for the recipes my mouth is watering now! :)
  • shannabeauvais
    Options
    I coat the pan in cocunut oil first and then cook it 3 min on each side. It cooks fast. and then I drizzle my plate with franks hot sauce and add fresh steamed green beans and then the fish on top of that yum. :)
  • LeiaBeekley
    LeiaBeekley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is the easiest thing i cook:

put some egg whits in a bowl and squeeze lemon juice in with it and mix it up, dip the tilapia in the mixture and then sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on top. Place them on a oiled baking sheet and bake them at 375 for 5 minutes and then last 5 minutes put the oven on broil to brown the breadcrumbs. I put more lemon in the egg whites because I love lemon so that part is up to you but its not bland at all :) ENJOY