low carb diet question

Options
do carbs make a difference in weight loss? I hear people talking about low carb diet well how low is a low carb diet? Everything has carbs....so what do you eat on a low carb diet? Just wondering and body have any answers? Thanks I'm doing 150 carbs and I think that is too high. I could use some help. I'm doing a 1200 calorie diet. Thanks in advance. Neva

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your friend
    Just eat sensibly and move your body = win
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    have to disagree..... carbs are the devil!

do some research and then try a two week low carb diet and see if it works for you, you`ll know very quickly if your body runs better without them.....

eat healthier not less, and move more = the perfect you
    good luck :):flowerforyou:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not universally good or bad for anyone..........how bout that? ;)

It really depends on the person. *For me* I lose MUCH faster when I have a low carb/high protein diet. My experience, what I have seen with friends, and what I see with people on here is that women tend to have more trouble with carbs then men do.

And no, not everything has carbs. At least not a significant amount. One of my go-to meals is talapia (no carbs) and salad (you can get a salad down to about 5 grams of carbs).

You've lost a lot so far. If you've plateau'd, you might try a high protein diet and see how that affects you. If you are steadily losing, then I say just keep doing what you're doing, because obviously you're doing something right.
  • Carbs come good and bad - Good carbs...fruits (in moderation) and vegetables. Then, there are the processed carbs. (sugars, white flour, grains that have seen a machine of some sort... processed 'stuff' that you'll find in the inside aisles in the grocery.. )

My first suggestion, though, would be to check with your doctor. :smile:

Best of luck to you!
  • loriaqui
    loriaqui Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Carbs come good and bad - Good carbs...fruits (in moderation) and vegetables. Then, there are the processed carbs. (sugars, white flour, grains that have seen a machine of some sort... processed 'stuff' that you'll find in the inside aisles in the grocery.. )

My first suggestion, though, would be to check with your doctor. :smile:

Best of luck to you!

This!
    Stick with eating 150 Good carbs and cut from there if needed! I personally do 120 carbs per day...give or take a few. :happy:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for a couple weeks, it was under 100 a day which is not even that low and I lost a couple pounds. I did not gain them back after stopping either, which was great. I would do it again.
  • MsMartyMac
    Options
    My best solution to the low carb question was to avoid "unnecessary" carbs. I eats lots of fruits and vegetables (5 servings a day combined), lean meats and protein and low fat dairy. I don't eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, or breading. Other than that I don't count the carbs. If fruit and vegis have them they must be good since God made them. I stay away from all processed foods and that helps to limit my carbs naturally.

Can't cut out all of anything so just be reasonable. Everyone is different and it's all about how you will eat for the rest of your life.

My top three guidelines: Nothing fried. No processed/pre-packaged food. No unnecessary carbs. If I can do without it, I do.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i think that for some people, myself included, low carb is the only way I lose weight. There are a number of books about low carb dieting, South Beach Diet is an example, some are very extreme and probably not a good idea. You can google "low carb diet" and get lots of information. I started low carb for two reasons: 1 -my weight loss was completely stalled and I was consuming only 1200 calories, and 2- my blood sugar levels started doing a slow creep up to the borderline problem area. I limit my carbs to those with a low glycemic index. That does not mean you can have unlimited amounts of all fruits and vegetables. Initially, you have to pay attention to what you eat but it gets easier over time.
  • selfmedicated2
    selfmedicated2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me, low-glycemic is a better answer than low-carb. Low Glycemic basically makes you avoid simple carbs, but still eat good low glycemic fruits (blueberries, apples, etc.).

The reason it works for me is because it keeps my blood sugar balanced and I don't get crazy cravings or swings in my hunger level. I'm at 1280 calories/day, and I wouldn't be able to maintain eating this level if I was eating even singular servings of simple carbs regularly -- it would cause me to be super hungry all the time! I haven't had ANY problems eating 1280/day while eating low glycemic because I eat so many veggies, protein, and at least 3 servings of fruit a day. My body really likes it and I don't get the highs/lows that I used to feel with my appetite.