To my fellow Vegetarians - Heeeelp!

Options
Hi all,

There are a lot of posts by folks looking for support on here. I think that's great because having some buddies that are going through weight loss with you is an excellent way to stay motivated.

I am also looking for some support - after a summer of eating, drinking, and being merry (or should I say eating and drinking waaaaaay too much!), I'm ready to get back on track! I have been a vegetarian for 5 years now and since becoming vegetarian, I've found it particularly difficult when I'm dieting because I can't go to the lower-carb diets which have always helped me shead my unwanted weight.

If there any fellow veggies out there that are dealing with the same issues, feel free to add me as a friend and we can help each other out!

Nicole

Replies

• jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a request! I've been veg for 14 years. I only have one other veg friend here, so more would be great!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian - is that close enough?
  • ShannRenae
    Options
    I JUST STARTED MY VEGGIE LIFESTYLE SO I CUD DEF USE SOME RECIPES & TIPS!!!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've also been vegetarian for 14 years, and I have this problem as well.. Although, as someone who's not vegan, you can get more protein easily. However you can have many vegan sources of protein as lentil, chickpeas, broad-beans, etc. :)
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Request sent - I've been a veg for just over 2 years now and I'm always looking for more veg friends! :)
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well feel free to add me as a MFP buddy, I have been an vegetarian for a large number of years (trying not to date myself). But if you are looking for a support and motivation pal, add me. Plus I have a long stretch in MFP.
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    I just sent you a request. I'm a vegetarian AND I'm currently doing the south beach diet which is low carb. Feel free to take a look at my diary. Basically, I just sub veggie burgers or other meat substitutes for the meat. As far as sides go, I do lots of salads, I make the "mashed potatoes" out of cauliflower, and eat lots of roasted veggies. I also eat fish, so that helps.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey I've been veg for a year and I just went gluten free...so I'm pretty much no carb haha
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but my boyfriend is. I'm trying to cook meals to make sure we get enough protein in our diets and not overdo it on the carbs. I keep all my recipes organized on Pinterest, so if you want some quick links to healthy (and ok, a few not so healthy) dishes, go here:

http://pinterest.com/crystalflame89/vegetarian/

Good luck!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I have been a vegetarian for a good 15 years now (I didn't always eat the best...to much cheese and carbs). I'm now at my goal weight and trying to maintain but I love having veggie friends! :) Right now my carbs will be a little up there because of a half marathon I have in 2 weeks but normally I keep the carb intake low or lower! :) Anyone can feel free to add me! :)
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for over 15 years and I managed to become morbidly obese. In June of 2011, I saw the film "Forks Over Knives" and I immediately switched to a whole foods plant-based, very low fat vegan diet. I learned that plants contain all the protein we need and that we don't have to worry about it, or calcium for that matter.

I am now down over 100 pounds and I love the food I eat more than ever before. I got off all my medications and I no longer have issues with allergies, acid-reflux, acne, female problems or sinus problems. I have lots of energy. I eat 80% carbs and consume all the potatoes I want. I am no longer pre-diabetic and my cholesterol is below 150. My blood pressure dropped significantly too.

One of my favorite places for recipes is www.fatfreevegan.com. Check it out! :happy:
  • Namwnguyen
    Options
    The most calorie efficient vegetarian proteins I know are egg whites, boca burgers (original), seitan, and tofu.

The least calorie efficient vegetarian proteins are nuts and nut butters (1 tbsp of peanut butter has the same number of calories as 1 tbsp of regular butter with only four grams of protein - and raw nuts are just as calorie dense).

I regard grains and legumes as carbs with a bit of protein rather than as proteins. In this nutrient dense but not-low-calorie category, there is quinoas (a complete vegan protein), lentils, black beans, and brown rice.

Egg whites have 4 cals per gram of protein. A dozen egg whites is a completely reasonable amount to eat in a meal - about 200 cals and 48 grams of protein (not counting the oil they're cooked in). If you want to get full on a small number of calories I'd suggest an omelette made with six egg whites containing sautéed onion and red pepper cooked with only a teaspoon of olive oil. Omelettes and fried eggs require less olive oil than scrambled eggs because they don't require you to disturb the surface of the pan after you place the eggs in.

What you choose as filler is one of the most important things. If you want volume that doesn't have many calories you can replace rice, potatoes, bread etc with steamed broccoli, sautéed vegetables or mushrooms (with a teaspoon or less of olive oil), or salad with one tablespoon of dressing (the dressing goes much further if you take the time to toss it thoroughly). Also, speaking of filler, certain brands of almond milk only have 35 or 40 calories per cup and are great in cereal.
  • katejain
    Options
    Hi I have been vegetarian since I was old enough to realize where meat came from. I have lost 7 pounds since I joined the site. If you want to add me feel free. The thing I found that has helped a lot was cutting out potatoes and watching my pasta in take. I'm pretty much trying to get rid of unwanted baby fat from my 3rd child.
  • izzycoyote
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I was so happy to see this post! I don't have any veg friends here, and would love to get to know some of you. I've been vegetarian for 8 or so years, and became a vegan 11 months ago. I've lost 15 pounds over the last year--I HAD lost 20, but I slacked off. I need help being consistent with logging food, and with exercise. I feel like a really awful poster child for veganism, since I'm still 40 lb above my goal weight. :P
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi..brand new here...lacto ovo vegetarian as well.. would love to join..have already lost approx 50-60lbs and on the last 20. Looking to do it finally, once and for all.

Cheers
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am a new vegan.

I tried low carb in the past though and it just wasn't for me I binged! So now I'm low fat/less processed and that seems to be working so far!
  • sweettalkinggirl
    Options
    I'm a newish pescatarian ... bordering onto vegetarian. I have sent you a request as I too would like to be friends with someone going through the same thing :)
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that being a vegetarian has forced me to eat more carbs. When out to eat, I order pasta because it's the only non-meat option! Americans just seem to revolve meals around carbs and meat. Eliminate one and you eat more of the other!
    However, low carb is certainly an option for dieting! Egg whites are absolutely amazing and have the most protein per calories! 4g/17 calories.
    I have also fallen into the cheese trap. Everything vegetarian is cheesy when with family or out with friends! This along with carbs led me to be an overweight vegetarian!
    Then, I started dieting and I learned that as a vegetarian, I need to eat more fruits and vegetables! Seems obvious for a veg right? But, it's easier said then done, especially in social settings!
    I also recommend tofu and fake meats like morning star (:D) as well as soy milk. :)
    Good luck!
  • jenlynsat
    jenlynsat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sent a friend request! :) I am also a vegetarian--since 2001--and have been on MFP since July (8 lb down!). Would love any recipes that anyone wants to pass my way and would be more than happy to do the same!