Diet soda

Options
I drink 1 to 2 cans of diet soda a day, as well as 8+ glasses of water. Everyone tells me that the diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. I personally can't stomach regular soda, it's way too sweet, so I've always just had the diet kind, even as a kid.

So other than the sodium, what exactly is so bad about diet coke? Convince me to cut it from my diet completely.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 to 2 cans of diet soda a day, as well as 8+ glasses of water. Everyone tells me that the diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. I personally can't stomach regular soda, it's way too sweet, so I've always just had the diet kind, even as a kid.

So other than the sodium, what exactly is so bad about diet coke? Convince me to cut it from my diet completely.

In for aspartame alarmism. AAaaaaaaaaaaand GO.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It can rot your teeth. Not through sugar but citric acid which causes the enamel on your teeth to wear away. My dentist said you are better with the regular stuff and limiting it. Or if you really have to drink diet soda drink it through a straw to stop it touching your teeth.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    panic.gif
  • AbacoRaveness
    Options
    While I would encourage you to stick to a max of one per day (just in case), you won't catch me on the band wagon of anti-diet soda folks.

My understanding is the biggest complaint against them is the aspartame (artificial sweetener) that they use. But, lots of research has been done on aspartame and, if you stick to reliable sources, the consensus seems to be that its perfectly safe at moderate consumption:
    http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame
    http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/aspartame.htm
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

There are claims that aspartame increases hunger, but I haven't seen any research one way or the other on that one.

I think the other thing that is a major complaint is the acidity. But, I don't think that it's any more acidic than citrus juices, so if you're flushing with plenty of water then I don't see the harm in it... everything in moderation!
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For me I always eat cleaner drinking only water. I always seem to crave the bad foods when drinking diet coke like something salty or even chocolate (go figure). Also I never feel full drinking diet coke compared to water.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Regular soda makes me feel like I have sweaters on my teeth, so I always go for diet when I have it. The only thing I've read that seems bad about any soda is that it leaches calcium from your bones. My memory sucks, so I can't remember the exact chemical reaction. That was before I learned about peer reviewed studies, so it could be bs. I should look for one. :smile:

edited for spelling
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A quick google inquiry lead to more research on my part, which promptly ended my 10 year love affair with diet coke. I immediatley started losing faster and feel much better than I did before. This filtered into the rest of my diet as well and I now am a clean organic eater. Not to mention I have more money to spend on healthy food! YUM!

Then again, I went complete tree hugger hippie about a year ago, so take my opinion with that in mind. I now think of diet coke and most packaged foods as the devil, lol.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    A quick google inquiry lead to more research on my part, which promptly ended my 10 year love affair with diet coke.

Obviously you should do what you feel is best, but the majority of actual research on this topic shows that aside from potential migraines, diet soda is quite safe at anything resembling normal human consumption.
  • nikinonsense
    Options
    It's the carbonation for me. I can't handle a lot of bubbles in my tummy. BUT I LOVE SODA SO MUCH! I can't drink more than 8oz a day though and I try not to drink it every day.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    OMG!!!

I'm drinking a diet Mt. Dew RIGHT NOW!!!

AAAaaaaahhhhhhHHHHHhhh!

:-)

I can't convince you that it's bad for you....I like to drink them once and awhile too.
  • severins_obsession
    Options
    1-2 cans of Diet Coke per day isn't going to kill anybody... For me, it takes the place of sugary snacks in the evenings, which is MUCH WORSE IMO! As with many of the other posters, I can't drink regular cola anymore -- way too sweet! It makes me feel sooooooo bombed-out and depleted!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it have sodium in it?

Also, I think it's just not...right....somehow....but then, I don't even color my hair, so artificial sweeteners and flavors seem like a waste of money to me.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, the aspartame in the diet soda makes you crave for more sodas! therefore, calorie surplus and then weight gain.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    For me I always eat cleaner drinking only water. I always seem to crave the bad foods when drinking diet coke like something salty or even chocolate (go figure). Also I never feel full drinking diet coke compared to water.

THIS IS TRUE FOR ME TOO
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Also, I think it's just not...right....somehow....but then, I don't even color my hair, so artificial sweeteners and flavors seem like a waste of money to me.

If you colored your hair... you'd drink diet soda?
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi is the ONLY vice I can't kick since I started this back in May. I have maybe 1 or 2 a day, but for some reason I can't not go without it. I know there are worse things to not let go of, and I'm trying.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    trust me i was addicted (3-4 cans or more a day) apparantly the acid wears down your teeth and stomach? idk but i feel better since i stopped :) try fizzy water with some syrup in it (italian soda :D)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options

If you colored your hair... you'd drink diet soda?

No. I still wouldn't.
  • tdrusk
    tdrusk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like diet sodas and find that they satisfy my soda craving. From what I have read, they aren't that bad for you and everything is fine in moderation. I drink at a max 1 per day and appreciate the lack of calories in the soda. It is kind of a best of both worlds.
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They reduce bone density!