Diet soda

Options

Replies

• wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am on my second of the day... I will probably finish with 4 diet cokes... and I enjoy each one :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi is the ONLY vice I can't kick since I started this back in May. I have maybe 1 or 2 a day, but for some reason I can't not go without it. I know there are worse things to not let go of, and I'm trying.

For the record, this is the exact reason why I post what I post. I could really care less whether or not someone drinks diet soda, or eats white bread, or grains, or anything else. But the person above me probably has enough things to worry about pertaining to dietary adherence, and clearly enjoys drinking diet soda.

Keep drinking diet soda, brush your teeth regularly. 1 or 2 per day is completely fine if you're not suffering from migraines that relate directly to aspartame.

Aspartame is a combination of two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartic acid. These are found in chicken breast. Methanol is a digestive by-product of Aspartame and it's found in various fruits/fruit juices. All of these components are perfectly tolerable at doses that are far beyond normal human consumption and research confirms this.

If you have migraines, replace your diet soda with coffee (keep caffiene somewhat constant) and see if it helps. Otherwise, enjoy your diet soda, brush your teeth, and keep losing weight like a boss.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm a Diet Dr. Pepper fiend, myself. 55 mg. of sodium is no biggie at my usual consumption rate of 1 can a day. I don't have any apparent ill effects from drinking it, and my calcium numbers have always looked good on lab work.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink soda, but when I do, it's so I don't eat an entire cake. So I pick my battles. As long as you are re hydrating with all that water you are drinking, don't let it scare you. You have to decide to do it for you. Kinda like the whole weight loss thing in general.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy my diet pop and sugar free energy drinks!! I NEED them - I work 40 hours a week full time job, and 20-30 + at a bar part time.

AND i love how diet pepsi tastes!!! nom nom nom with fresh lime yes!! Not to menmtion if i want a treat, a diet pepsi satisfies me more that that candy bar would have
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    They reduce bone density!

This, they leech your bones apparently.

There is trace amounts of sodium in them though. I don't get why everyone freaks about the sodium content.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it have sodium in it?

Also, I think it's just not...right....somehow....but then, I don't even color my hair, so artificial sweeteners and flavors seem like a waste of money to me.

If you colored your hair... you'd drink diet soda?

*sits and waits*
  • jstcallmecoco
    Options
    I think the only negative thing about diet soda or any soda is that is not natural, you are drinking acid. But hey, if your daily water intake, who cares. Has it affected your weight loss journey? If not, keep drinking lol. Moderation is key, though.
  • Roderunr
    Roderunr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow - I'm loving the activity on this post (as I sit here drinking my diet Dr. Pepper) LOL Whether you love it or hate it, I can guarantee this "discussion" wont get resolved on a message board! Great input though :wink:

:drinker:
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I drink two diets a day (sometimes three!)

The sodium isn't really that bad....flavored diet waters (like propel zero) have WAY more sodium!

I think I read somewhere you would have to consume about 28 cans of diet soda a day to really get the negative effects of it. As long as it doesn't give you headaches or any other medical issues, you should be fine :)

Diet mountain dew will always be a part of my life- I love it!

I also drink 9-14 cups of water a day as well, so I feel pretty good about my liquids!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I drink coke zero all day long. I love it!! Hope it won't kill me, cause I am not quiting. My teeth are not the prettiest, but they weren't before I started drinking them. It's been 7 years now. YUMMMY!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My success was with most of my fluid intake coming from Diet Soda and Sugar Free Drink Mixes (Crystal Light, etc.) in lieu of plain water. So, I say do whatever works for you, and just count the calories as not all are calorie free.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    It can rot your teeth. Not through sugar but citric acid which causes the enamel on your teeth to wear away. My dentist said you are better with the regular stuff and limiting it. Or if you really have to drink diet soda drink it through a straw to stop it touching your teeth.

Uhh.. Yes and no.
    The amount of citric acid, and the PH of the soda, is THE SAME between regular and diet.... And yes.. they do soften tooth enamel.. If you leave your teeth soaked in them. Its not an instant thing.
    No good dentist would recommend regular soda, because along with temporally softening the enamel, it has tons of sugar for bacteria.
    If you sip it throughout the day, it can soften the enamel, and if you a 'grinder' you will wear your teeth down faster.

This is true for ANY acidic drink... but soda is one of the more common ones.

All that said, I drink about 2 liters a day.
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Gonna agree with the majority here. Yeah, it's not the best thing for you, but there are PLENTY worse addictions to have. I have myself on a 5 cans a week since I started my diet (down from 1-2/day).

The aspartame may make you more hungry, but that's what something like a fiber supplement and lean proteins are for.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it have sodium in it?

Also, I think it's just not...right....somehow....but then, I don't even color my hair, so artificial sweeteners and flavors seem like a waste of money to me.

If you colored your hair... you'd drink diet soda?

*sits and waits*

scroll back to page 1. Answered.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that people are actually replying to this as if they could persuade you to do different. I am assuming your an adult so maybe making decisions like this would be a start. When you go to the toilet you don't need people to wipe your butt for you?! The end of the day its your choice, drink it or not drink it! I really don't think one can is going to kill you anyways!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would start to be concerned about this obscene chemical luxury of yours (lol) if it was triggering unwanted/excessive hunger pangs. Artificial sweeteners on many (most?) can trigger excess appetite since the sweet taste is telling the brain that calories are on their way. When they don't come and the body was all revv'd up to receive them, then hunger is triggered. There are all sorts of scientific studies that show this and explain it in more detail. But, if you can handle it currently then I would not worry. Here is one example of many in case you are curious:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/96849.php
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I found this one about phosphates in food and beverages. It's related to people with chronic kidney disease, though, not everyone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3248402/?tool=pmcentrez

And this, which doesn't really give an answer either, just one group discrediting the other.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119248988392159947.html?mod=rss_Today's_Most_Pop ular

The sodium in 2 tablespoons of salad dressing is higher than an entire can of diet soda. I wouldn't stop drinking diet soda because of the sodium content.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet soda. When I go without for whatever reason, I notice no change in my appetite. My only problem is combining diet soda, water and coffee. I spend way too much time in the bathroom. My operating plan is to alternate coffee (16 oz. cup) with 24 oz. water bottle until I've reached eight cups. I don't permit myself any diet soda until I reach my water goal, thereby limiting my soda intake both by being full and not having a diet soda until the afternoon.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I saw the topic headline and had to pick mine up for a sip. Mmmmm.

HOWEVER, if you drink a soda (any kind) it should be drank fairly quickly. Having the sugar coat your teeth for hours and hours is not healthy. I learned the hard way. I try to drink mine within like 20-30 minutes instead of sipping all morning.