Is taking a before photo really that necessary ?

Options
I have a habit of deleting old photos with the "that was the old me" mind set. But do I really need a before photo ? Even if I lost 3 lbs on here, can I take one now as my before ? Or will it not count ?

Replies

• jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Haha of course it's not "necessary", but you might find it motivational!

I did the same as you and deleted almost all of the old pics of me being my larger weight. Now I wish I hadnt. Would've been a great source to keep me going! Now i have to creep on other people's facebooks to find pics of me then.

3 pounds won't show much progress (but of course it's a great start!) so you can take a pic now! If you're brave enough to do it in a bikini (or bra and boy shorts) then I'm sure you'd be amazed at the difference later on!

Best of luck!
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I didn't take my before photo until I had lost over a stone, because it did not dawn on me to be motivational as such. I have one now but only because I personally cannot see the progress that others can see just by looking at myself in the mirror.

I know the weight loss is there looking at the scales, but when I look at my body it still looks exactly the same.

So no, I wouldn't say it's ever to late to take a beginning photo for comparison if you think that it is the right thing for you :) x
  • stacey1981
    stacey1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Take a before picture now....you will be glad that you did!
  • NoExcuses2012
    NoExcuses2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do it! Save them and never look at them until you are at your goal. You will be SOOOO GLAD YOU DID!!! Trust me!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of deleting old photos with the "that was the old me" mind set. But do I really need a before photo ? Even if I lost 3 lbs on here, can I take one now as my before ? Or will it not count ?
    YES!!! You will be amazed as the pounds melt away. The photo I kept on here is me after I had lost 8 lbs...I still cannot believe I let myself get that big
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Not count? The picture is for you and not us
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes. You will regret not doing it.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo glad I took before photos. It motivates me when I need it. Looking back at them, I can see a huge difference and it makes me so proud of myself.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    no, but I can't tell you how exhilarating it is to watch the transformation. Sure, before pictures make people want to cringe, but comparing them to current and/or goal pictures is such an amazing feeling! I always tell people to make sure to take progress pictures all along the way, because your eyes (picture) and mirror count more than your scale ever should.
  • gypsybree
    Options
    Absolutely you can still take one with three pounds lost! I took one with 29 pounds lost!
  • mrsogden259
    Options
    k
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    not necessary at all but putting a start pic next to a progress one and being able to see the difference might be great motivation, and when you get to the end to be able to say thats where i started look at me now i can only imagine is an amazing feeling :)
    x
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    do it now. also, take lots of measurements now. Jot them down and keep them for later comparison.

I wish I knew my starting measurements.......I wish I'd heard this advice.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Yes. You will regret not doing it.
    It's true....I regret it so much!!!!!! I have some, but they're just regular pictures. Not a full on in my boxers before pic.....I wish I had taken one....I couldn't stand the sight of it, so I just didn't do it....I wish I had just taken one and not looked at it.
  • mrsogden259
    Options
    Omgosh.....your ticker is hysterrical!

Haha of course it's not "necessary", but you might find it motivational!

I did the same as you and deleted almost all of the old pics of me being my larger weight. Now I wish I hadnt. Would've been a great source to keep me going! Now i have to creep on other people's facebooks to find pics of me then.

3 pounds won't show much progress (but of course it's a great start!) so you can take a pic now! If you're brave enough to do it in a bikini (or bra and boy shorts) then I'm sure you'd be amazed at the difference later on!

Best of luck!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Is it a requirement? No. But I think it is really nice to have one. I have lost almost 90 pounds, and I have a really hard time seeing it. I would love to have some old before pics to go back and look at. But I was really uncomfortable with how I looked, so I did not allow pics to be taken often, and I did not take any when I started this. Now I wish that I had!
  • mandylindsey
    Options
    YES, YES, YES it is necessary... for you that is. I didnt think it was necessary at first either, but Im so glad I did. I love looking at my before pictures and how I look now. TRUST me, take the picture and you will be so glad that you did later on. :smile:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I`ve got lots of holiday photos stored on my pc before I lost the weight and even when I was just 20lbs down and couldn`t see the difference, I compared photos and wow it made me feel good.

Now I am down even more I feel amazed that I look so different.

So yes, keep some `now ` pics to inspire yourself
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about keeping a before picture (or even early in the process) is that it is good for comparison. We don't often see the changes as we're going through the process. I don't see myself as looking a whole lot different than I did at the start. But when we see the pictures of then and now side-by-side, we can see that there has been definite progress made. It's good for the days when motivation is lacking or we wonder why we are doing this.
  • snipalicous
    Options
    I would say take a before pic. I did and am so glad because I am able to see the transformation. Take one now even if you have already lost 3lbs. I like to use my pics for motivation, I dont always see a huge loss on the scale but my before and during the process pics, speak volumes and inspires me to keep going because that scale can sure put a damper on things and make you want to give up! GL!