Running ... advice please

Options
2»

Replies

• Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Alternate between jogging and walking. Try doing a mile the first week, then do 1.25 the second week. Build up slowly! Good luck!

I definitely agree. If you want to practice on your own, walk for 100 meters and then jog for 100 meters; you could even do 50 meter intervals. It's no different than crawling before walking. If you haven't run much, you have to slowly build up your stamina, strength, and breathing.

Additionally, work on rhythmic breathing. It makes all the difference. For instance, inhale for three strides and then exhale over the next two or three strides -- whatever count suits your current fitness level.

Doing squats and deadlifts also builds up your posterior chain and can make a person a stronger runner.
  • drhilton
    Options
    Staling007 "And BTW...it doesn't matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the sofa!" : very well said... something is better than nothing!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    And BTW...it doesn't matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the sofa!

But do you burn more walking fast or running slow?
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just started myself. I had a baseline of fitness to begin with, so it wasnt too bad. I started by jogging the length of one street light, and then walking 1 for about 30 min. Now I jog by 2-3 streetlights and walk one. I did 4 km in 30 min the other day.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K....and when you start, don't worry about your distance or your speed, just get used ot the motion. The first week or two might seem a 'bit' slow....but it's getting your body used to what you'll be wanting it to do later on. Stick with the program, repeat weeks as necessary. Love this program.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    nobody is perfect. It's hard to push yourself but think about how good your stamina will be after running! Lol. It's hard for me to sometimes I want to give up but you know if you think you need to stop, STOP. However, always try to push each time you do it.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k was slow/boring to me but I have ADD. I did start with jog/walk intervals but not a set schedule. Just push yourself each week and find ways of running that are enjoyable. For me, I love trail running over treadmill or hitting the pavement. Your body is so much more capable then you mind thinks it is. Push hard everytime and you will quickly progress. Also, consistency is key. Good Luck, you will soon be addicted.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I too have gone from the 30DS to start running -- I'm doing the C25K program -- which if you start now, means you should be able to run in the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving (if you are in the US).
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - had to run with my BF last night and nearly DIED.
    feel free to add me and we can cheer each other on!
  • ateamom
    Options
    C25k app on your phone - it'll chime in when to walk and run over your music. I loathed running until this! Now, after 2 months, I can run for 30 minutes straight, easily! And the best part - its burnin' up calories & my legs look great!!! Good luck!!
  • stepmark
    stepmark Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started in late August 2012 on MFP and Jogging; the below helped me:
    1) Go to: http://www.mapmyrun.com/ sign up and then find your neighborhood and map out a short route (say .5 mile).
    2) Buy good running shoes, everyone has different selections for their feet, it might take you a couple of shoe brands to find yours. Note: buy at least a 1/2 to one full size larger running shoe than your normal shoe size...when you jog/run your feet expand and you'll need that extra room.
    3) Jog (not 'run') as far as you can on your route in step 1); then walk to catch your breathe; then jog again as far as you can, then walk to catch your breathe. Repeat for as long as you can (goal could be: at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes).
    4) repeat step 3) at least 3 times a week.
    5) log everything you eat in MFP :)

I read a quote on MFP that really helped me...."Your mind will give out before your legs will...". I hate 'running' or jogging and I keep reminding myself everytime I go jogging..."Your mind will give out before your legs will".

It's taken me 3 weeks, but I can now Jog 5k without walking to catch my breathe.

You can do it!
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TKCG74
    TKCG74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i am currently running with 4 girls that want to do do the couch to 5k. I am kinda of their coach. It is working for them. They don't love it but, it is working. If you can find someone to run/suffer with, it hepls alot. Remember, mind over matter and pain. Good luck and see you on the road.