Frozen Meals

I have been really lazy not wanting to cook and I was wondering buying Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and Healthy choices are good for you? They have them for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack. :happy:

Replies

• I usually don't have much time during the day to prepare myself proper meals (I work in health care so my shifts are all over the place and frequent!) I've been eating Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones for a month now and have still been losing weight!

I'm not sure if they're technically "good" for you, but they sure help with portion control which is something I have a problem with!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    One of the problems is that it's processed food, and most of them have a ton of sodium.

If you're super busy, is there one day a week where you're not? You can make your own meals ahead of time and freeze/refridgerate them... it'd probably end up being cheaper than frozen dinners in addition to being better for you.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Let's say you find one that is a match with what you would want to eat if you were cooking. The next thing I would do is to look at the sodium levels. Frozen dinners are usually salt bombs. Then look at what other chemicals they have decided to add. You then might decide to make your own?
  • I do have them but only for lunch and try to limit myself to no more than 2 a week as I feel than I can get more food for the same amount of calories if I make lunch myself. On the days that I do have them I double my water intake to flush all that sodium out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I use these once in awhile, when I'm too busy to cook. I do know how to cook healthy foods, I just don't always have the time.

Typically I'll add extra veggies ... many frozen dinners are woefully inadequate in that area.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    I've been using Healthy Choice, Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine. It helps me because I don't have to eat what the rest of my family eats for dinner, and also helps with portion control. I've done very well with them, but I only use them for dinner 4-5 times per week.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    My schedule is very hectic so I cook one day out of the week and freeze all my meals for the week. It works out well and I know what is really in my food.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    A dear friend of mine buys those by the case and eats them for all her meals. They have a ton of salt. She is almost as wide as she is tall (she is very short, but still).

Buy a cheap cookbook with 5 ingredient meals or buy a crockpot. Things like eggs and soup are really cheap and easy to cook. Eat salads with tossed tuna or shrimp or beef or tofu on it. There are so many options. It will be so much better for you.
  • springb513
    springb513 Posts: 41 Member
    Schwan's LiveSmart Products make me happy! :happy: www.schwansjobs.com
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    I don't buy a lot of frozen meals anymore like I used to. I may buy them on occasion but it's definitely not a daily routine. I make sure when I do cook that I cook extra because I'm going to take it for lunch as well. The sodium intake is just nasty.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    I eat healty choice steamers 4-5 times a week, they are filling, tasty and low calories. I'll eat them even when the wife cooks.. just because i can scan them into the data base instead of guessing at calories.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Maybe once in a blue moon but I definitely don't want frozen meals anymore. Sodium nightmare. I've been prepping and freezing my own stuff and it is way healthier in my opinion.

That said, I'm sure you can still lose weight and good on you for wanting to make healthy decisions. It's a step in the right direction. If you want to take your health to another level though, I personally believe it's better to make your own frozen meals.
  • ShoeGal78
    ShoeGal78 Posts: 35 Member
    I used to have ready meals/frozen dinners a couple of times a week after getting home late after exercise but now I make something quick like scrambled egg on toast, baked beans on toast or pasta with a quick tomato sauce.. I'm not keen on having too many processed meals - as others have said, they are often full of salt and sugar.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    I eat Lean cusine pizza about once a week as it keeps me from craving the real thing lol. They have a lot of sodium so if you eat them you need to eat more fruits or veggies with potassium and drink tons of water
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    I eat healty choice steamers 4-5 times a week, they are filling, tasty and low calories. I'll eat them even when the wife cooks.. just because i can scan them into the data base instead of guessing at calories.

There is a recipe option on MFP that is very helpful. You add the ingredients and servings. Very easy. Takes more than just a quick scan, but in my opinion it is well worth it. Invest in some measuring cups and a food scale.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    LOOOOVE them! Just make sure you watch your sodium!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    I would not recommend them as they taste kinda blah and leave you wanting to eat more afterwards. They are OK a few times a week when you are really busy, but fresh foods are always better.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Because I have two Job my schedules sometimes don't allow for homemade lunches or dinners, So I use these type. After a few days I feel horribly bloated usually from the sodium. So every once in a while I will have one.
  • libbygrammer
    libbygrammer Posts: 6 Member
    Once a day is fine (I wouldn't do more than that, regularly, though). I usually eat these for lunch since my fiance often eats all the potential leftovers AT THE MEAL. Ha. No, really. Just choose healthy ones with lots of veggies. Steamed Healthy Choice meals are very good, as are the Amy's meals and organic brands. They tend to have less of the bad (sodium) and more of the good (fiber and protein). I get a stack of 5 a week to keep in the fridge at work. No shame! Just don't eat them every meal and cook whenever you can so you have some healthier leftovers. Also, I supplement with fruit at work. Keeps some in the fridge and have it with your heated up dinner. That adds the natural and fresh to the frozen dinner. :)
  • What do you freeze them in and how do you re heat them?