Looking older or younger, What's your experience?

Options
So guys what is it with you? Are you constantly ID'd at 40 or asked how the grandkids are at 18, does it bug you or suit you?

I'm constantly mistaken for someone around 14-15, which is almost 10 years younger then i really am. Can't say i mind too much when i comes to buying child fares on the trains ;) but i tend to look out of place with my peers which sort of annoys me

gogogo!

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You do look very young. But you are very young still. When you are like 40-ish and people think you are 30, then you will really appreciate it.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am constantly Id'd. I am almost 27 and have 3 kids but people always think I am their sister.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't like when people call me ma'am. But usually they call me miss :)
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and sometimes get ID'd when buying alcohol which the drinking age here is 19! Nice compliment but get annoyed because I know I don't look 19 anymore. People think I am between 30-35. I'd rather look younger than my age than older.
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I usually get told I am younger than my age (big smiles) :drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    forever young.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love it. I will be 51 in November. I have a 3 year old granddaughter and a 5 year old grandson. When they call me gramma in public, I get double takes and people tell me that I don't look old enough to have grandkids or say they thought I was their mother.
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    No one ever believes I'm 32...I usually get 24 or 25, which is great! I hope I can keep it up :happy:
  • Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Depends for me. If i'm clean shaven, I look like i'm 19. When I rock my beard, I look like i'm 30 (i'm 25)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People have always thought I was younger. It was weird when I was in my twenties and people thought I was a teenager (and I was a mother), but now that I'm in my 30's and people think I'm in my 20's I like it. And I still get ID'd.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I still get carded. I'm 38. When I was younger like in high school it drove me nuts. Of course, my ID was fake, but I got a hard time just buying smokes when I was well over 18. No, I don't smoke anymore. It does not hurt my feelings at all that people think I'm in my early to mid 20s'.
  • everytree
    Options
    I look younger then I am apparently. People don't believe me when I say I'm not my 15 year old daughter's sister. Nope, I'm mom.

I always get id'd buying alcohol (drinking age is 19 here) and when I go into my daughter's high school I get stopped and asked to see my hall pass.

Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. When people say derogatory comments to me about how young I must have been having my kids in front of my kids I tend to get my back up. Ummmm...I wasn't. I had been married for several years when I had my first.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    So guys what is it with you? Are you constantly ID'd at 40 or asked how the grandkids are at 18, does it bug you or suit you?

I'm constantly mistaken for someone around 14-15, which is almost 10 years younger then i really am. Can't say i mind too much when i comes to buying child fares on the trains ;) but i tend to look out of place with my peers which sort of annoys me

gogogo!

You certainly don`t look like a teenager! not wanting to sound rude, dude!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    People usually shave about 10 years off my age. As long as I keep up with the hair color... but I started going gray when I was in my 20's.
  • mom2mini
    mom2mini Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I get mistaken for being much younger than I really am, and I hate it.
    For example, I was shopping with my father to buy gifts to give to my bridesmaids for being in my wedding. I went to Game Stop to buy a rated M game. I did not have my ID, just cash (my father was paying for everything since it was "wedding related") Anyways, they told me I needed a parent to buy the game for me since I was unable to show them an ID. Luckily my Dad was outside in the car, so I had him come into the store and buy it for me. The man at the register asked my dad, "Are you sure you want your daughter playing a rated M game?" My dad was laughing but I about died. I was getting married in a week for goodness sake.
    Just wanting to add I am "young" still to begin with, but I get mistaken for being under 18 all the time.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Always ID'd. The legal age here is 18, but the law is to ID anyone who looks 25 and under.
  • ReesesPuffs
    Options

gogogo!

You certainly don`t look like a teenager! not wanting to sound rude, dude!

Should see me in real life. I look like a middle schooler compared to my friends. I'm the "baby face" of the group apparently. Le sigh
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    People often think I'm younger than I am, depending on what I'm wearing. I look much younger when I'm in gym clothes and no makeup---in fact I've been asked if my son was my little brother before! A couple years ago my boyfriend and I were on vacation and a bus driver asked us for our high school IDs...we were 25 and 26. No complaints here though! I'd much rather look younger than older :smile:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    People usually shave about 10 years off my age. As long as I keep up with the hair color... but I started going gray when I was in my 20's.

So did my mom. She was 100% grey by the time she was 30, she colored her hair up until I was in high school (she was about 45 or so) and then she just got tired of the upkeep. Even though she's totally grey now, she still looks much younger than she is, because she's always taken really good care of her body and skin.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I get id'd all the time. :/