thinking about giving up

Options
Need some help. I have already lost 25-30 lbs but having a hard time losing the last 15 lbs. I work out 5-6 days a week and usually at the gym for 2+ hours a day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    change your routine. You could be plateauing out so change your work outs- interval training, swim, anything you want to mix it up and to push your body to work harder. Your body will be more efficient now that you have been training at the same level for a while.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Try tweaking your calorie intake as well. You may find that increasing a bit helps push your body in the right direction.
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    Maybe you sould eat over your calorie limit for a day or two. Get you body's attention!
  • ugot2luvlife
    Options
    Good Monday Morning....I have just begun my journey of losing weight. I am so grateful for Myfitnesspal. It keeps me accountable, and also shows my progress. I am 58 yrs old lady. I have degenerated bone disease in my spine. I have a total knee replacement in my right leg. My second one. The first one came loose in 6 wks, so had to go in and do another with lots, and lots of cement. So I have some physical challenges, but I try not to let it stop me. I just have to do LSM!....life style modification. Everyone have a great day...and remember LIFE IS GOOD.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I worked out all last year with only 10 lbs to lose and lost nothing. The harder I worked out the harder it seemed to lose but I did enjoy the definition and I had resolved myself to the fact that noe, at 43, I just could not lose that last 10 lbs Then I tried a new fitness plan - interval cross training. Constantly changing the combination of activities with breaks in between. A break might just be a 10 min water and cool down break might be half a day depending on my schedule. I finally started to loose again. So my week might look like this

Mon 30 day shred - stairmaster 20 min - run 20 min
    Tues bike 40 min - run 20 min - stairmaster 20 min
    Wed - 30 day shred - run 20 min - stairmaster 20 min
    Thurs - swim 30 min - walk 30 min - stairmaster 15 min
    Fri - insanity (40 min) - walk 30 min
    Sat - run 30 min - bike 30 min
    Sun -rest

Mixing my workouts and taking breaks seems to be the key to losing for me. I find on low motivation days changing activities really keeps me going so I might even do 10 min stair master - 10 min run -10 min stair master - 20 min walk - 10 min stair master - 10 min run if I feel like I just can't do it one day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Need some help. I have already lost 25-30 lbs but having a hard time losing the last 15 lbs. I work out 5-6 days a week and usually at the gym for 2+ hours a day. Any suggestions?

The last 10-15 is the hardest.
    PM me and i'll set you up for success.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if that sounds supportive or like a weird come on.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if that sounds supportive or like a weird come on.

Lol well I have helped 100s lose the weight the easy way.
    Just ask any of the IPOARM group.
    Thy eat anywhere from 1600-3k a day to lose fat.
    No guess work.
    I'm not trying to come onto anyone.
    =D

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • You_Can_Be
    You_Can_Be Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How about trying calorie cycling. 2 days of fasting i.e 500 calories a day and 2 days of eating what you like (within reason) and 3 days of eating your recommended calorie intake to lose weight. It seems to con your body into not going into starvation mode. The other option is to get a fitbit which will tell you how much you can in according to home much you move about. Don't give up, if you are exercising enough and eating little enough it will shift eventually. The good thing a bout calorie cycling is you actually get some days when you can eat almost what you like (no binges though).
  • ganaz23
    ganaz23 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My other problem is I have lost 25-30 lbs but can't seem to lose inches in my thinghs? Any Ideas?
  • eyebex
    eyebex Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you certain that you're eating at a deficit? Exercise is great but if you eat as much as you burn, you will not loose weight.

Make sure you eat at a deficit, you will loose weight. It doesn't matter if it is your first 15 pounds or your last 3 pounds.
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Does your normal workout include running? If not I've only heard great things about how running can take off those extra few pounds hanging around. I haven't reached a point where I've been able to test this for myself since I still have a long way to go in my goal (40+) but who I have heard it from I believe.
  • Wow 2 hrs or more in the gym , why so long? If that is the case than it's what your eating and when. Or the case can be that your building muscle which weighs more so than you cant go by what the scale says. One of the biggest problems people have is this .They are looking at their weight they need to measure just because of this reason.
  • Namwnguyen
    Options
    As for the thighs, there's no way to burn fat selectively from one part of the body more than others as fat loss is a whole body thing. As far as getting past your weightless plateau (which would likely effect your thighs). I would focus more on eating less than on exercising more if I were you. You could burn 1,000 calories by taking an epic fifteen mile walk, a once in a lifetime exercise feat for many, but all it would take to undo that would be seven beers (on the other hand 7 vodka sodas would still leave you with roughly a 500 cal surplus).

Maybe set aside time to research which foods that you like are the most filling per calorie and how to bring them into your life in the most convenient way possible. If you're not doing this already you could try cutting out all non filling high calorie foods including healthy ones. That would include all liquid calories, nuts, nut butters, dried fruits, granola, and avocados.
  • So the 2 hrs at the gym is that cardio workout? If your walking that much I bet you have thigh muscle :) Also how long have you been doing the 2 hrs 6 day gym thing?
  • ganaz23
    Options
    I usually ride the bike for about 40 mins at lunch time. Then after work i will usually run for about 45 hours and then do the arc trainer for another 25-30 mins.
    Then i usually do squats/ lunges and abs like 3 times a week.
  • mseaworthy
    Options
    I've always most progress when I've upped my intensity. This doesn't mean go longer and harder...just harder...and probably a shorter duration.

Also, as others have said, confusing your body thermostat by having a large calorie day--maybe 1.5x times normal--has also given me results.

This is a rather drastic technique, but one that worked for me...I became a vegetarian. And I'm someone who has always loved meat. I had lost 50 lbs but was at a plateau. I did a lot of research to see what kind of nutrition I was missing...my thought was I didn't have enough protein. In reality, I had plenty, likely way too much. I read The China Study, changed the way I ate (I realize this is very likely more drastic than you're interested in), and 30 more lbs came off pretty easy over a short period of time (three months).

Whatever you do. Don't give up.

I also found a heart rate monitor helped me more accurately track my caloric burn and inspired me to watch my intake (smaller and more frequent meals).

You can do it. Find a new motivation.
  • Do you know your calorie intake? What you have just said to is this. I work my *kitten* off in the gym. Which is good but if your calorie intake is to low than when you do eat your body thinks its time to store the fat again. You said thighs is your hardest part. Will that is the first place and butt for fat storage for females. One other thing is that you need to be eating every three hrs. Guys can eat about 4 hrs apart and not store fat. I eat every 3 hrs. Try that. Hope it helps
  • ganaz23
    Options
    Im still thinking about giving up. I haven't been motivated lately to workout because i haven't lost any weight in the last 3 months. I am going to try anf swtich things up this week coming up.
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so if your building muscle at your gym the weight wont come off you as fast,
    but you are still losing fat. Hang in there. I would also have a good look at what your eating and maybe switch it around a bit
    Don't give up, have fun with it, you will lose the weight.:smile: