How do I lose the fat without making my muscles any LARGER?

Options
2»

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've always been thick; thick thighs, strong calves and large biceps for a woman. I put on some weight after my kids were born so I'm up to 180 lbs. I still have these large muscles under the fat though. I want to lose the weight so I have been watching what and how much I eat and exercising. Lately I started the 30-day Shred and I can see my muscles getting larger. THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT!! I need to lose the extra pounds and fat around the muscles. I have no desire to make my muscles any larger than they already are. Any suggestions??? Any at all??

Once you lose the fat the muscles will be pretty. If you don't lift now you won't look good when you lose the fat. You need the muscle for your shape.

I didn't look good when I had muscle AND fat either. But I ended up looking good once the fat was gone. My story here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Keep Lifting. You will lose the fat faster than you will build muscle. Lifting makes you look younger and makes your bones strong. I just had my DXA scan and it showed that my 51.5 year old bones are that of a super athletic 30 year old. Scientific proof that lifting holds back the clock!!!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    YOUR Body IS Your Body! ACCEPT it and Love who YOU are.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You say you've always been "thick", however, thick does not mean muscular. What strength training have you done in the past and what exercises are you doing now that build your muscles?

Eating at a calorie deficit just means you've got to stick to your daily calories if you are following MFP guidelines. If you've calculated your own macros and calorie deficit using the formulas that are out there, then make sure you stick to that to ensure that calories in are less than calories out. Honestly, even if you continue to strength train, but you are using more calories than you take in (calorie deficit) and you are watching your carbs/fats/proteins (macros) you will lose body fat and even a little muscle. Muscle is NOT easy to build! Especially if you are on a calorie deficit.

Weigh and measure your food, stick to a strict calorie deficit and try to to exercise 3-4 times a week. You will see results.

When I said thick, I mean muscular. I played soccer for years and was on colorguard in high school to give me the big bicepts (that's the people in the band who twirl the huge flags around). I have always had large muscles, the flab is the recent addition.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt... shed the flab, keep the muscle, then you can re-evaluate if you think you're too think/muscular.

Maintain a healthy deficit, workout a couple of times a week to maintain some level of "in-shape-ness", be patient.

What doubt?

The "doubt" is that by doing 30 day shred for a few weeks, you've built any muscle. It is REALLY hard for anyone to put on muscle, but really hard for woman, much less at a calorie deficit. I am a muscular woman. Played sports most of my life and gained weight having kids. I am a runner as well. While incredibly muscular, I finally started a lifting program 5 weeks ago. I am getting more compliements in the last 5 weeks than you can imagine. Muscles aren't bad and you aren't going to look like a she-man. You have to work REALLY HARD FOR YEARS (and probably take some drugs) to get that to happen. I haven't lost a pound, but I'm in another dress size. I lift heavy and I doubt that I have actually built any quantifiable muscle. I did gain a bit the first 2 weeks due to the fluid flooding my muscles for repair. That evened out.

More muscle, more fat burning. Plus, I happen to think an athletic build is sexy...as do others
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    What does calorie deficit mean? Eat less than recommended calories? I always thought that was severely dangerous.

A caloric deficit simply means if your body needs 2000 calories just to make it through a normal day, give it 1800. Your body needs a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound. If you cut 500 calories and burn 500 calories per day, you can healthfully lose 2 lbs per week.
    I lost 100 lbs over a 2 year period. That was over 10 years ago. Except for when I had my daughter, I haven't gained any of it back. Its not dangerous, but make sure you eat good foods in your calories. Foods with high fiber and vitamins help to satiate you as well.

Thanks, that makes sense! I've been eating right at 1200 per day so maybe it is working and I can't see it yet! I do want to start working different exercises to try to target the problem areas. For instance, doing scissor lifts (I think that's what they are called, on your side, lift one leg straight up) to cut out the flab there. I also do a variety of versions of chest raises to try to get the fat under and around my biceps. I try a lot of different ab exercises but I have a hard time with them because of the mommy pooch. It's like having a ball between you, I can't sit up without hitting the "ball".

Exercising various body parts does not have anything to do with fat loss in those areas. Fat comes off of your body all over, you have no control over it.

That's what I've always heard but it can't hurt to try!

It won't hurt to try but it will be really frustrating when you don't see the loss and you've spent all that time doing those exercises. You cannot spot reduce. You've always heard it because it's always been true. By doing those exercises, you are working out your muscles. Not blasting any fat.
  • sstuts
    sstuts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! Hopefully it's just that I'm losing the fat so my muscles are looking bigger in comparision like you all have said! If that's the case, I'm still losing the mass that I don't want so it's a good thing!! I love being thick when it's only muscle, just not with the flubber.

Any suggestions about the ab exercises for the mommy pooch? Like I said earlier, when I try any crunches, sit-ups, etc. it's like I have a ball between my chest and my hips. I can't get past the "ball". I do planks and am working really hard to do push-ups perfectly straight but the ball isn't getting any smaller.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! Hopefully it's just that I'm losing the fat so my muscles are looking bigger in comparision like you all have said! If that's the case, I'm still losing the mass that I don't want so it's a good thing!! I love being thick when it's only muscle, just not with the flubber.

Any suggestions about the ab exercises for the mommy pooch? Like I said earlier, when I try any crunches, sit-ups, etc. it's like I have a ball between my chest and my hips. I can't get past the "ball". I do planks and am working really hard to do push-ups perfectly straight but the ball isn't getting any smaller.

You can't spot reduce. Just continue dieting at your calorie deficit. Measure your progress in terms of body fat percentage lost.

Good luck.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Don't supplement with steroids or growth-hormone and you'll be fine, not going to get massive.
  • scottuk75
    Options
    Run a slight calorie deficit.

You need to exercise as well of course. High, intense interval training is a great way to burn fat
    And helps keep your body in 'fat burning mode'
  • scottuk75
    Options
    Try 'AB_RIPPER X" from P90X or Cardio Ab's from Insanity.

Absolutely amazing results.
  • sstuts
    sstuts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try 'AB_RIPPER X" from P90X or Cardio Ab's from Insanity.

Absolutely amazing results.

I have this but the pooch won't allow me to crunch up. Maybe I'm just doing them wrong.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What does calorie deficit mean? Eat less than recommended calories? I always thought that was severely dangerous.

A caloric deficit simply means if your body needs 2000 calories just to make it through a normal day, give it 1800. Your body needs a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound. If you cut 500 calories and burn 500 calories per day, you can healthfully lose 2 lbs per week.
    I lost 100 lbs over a 2 year period. That was over 10 years ago. Except for when I had my daughter, I haven't gained any of it back. Its not dangerous, but make sure you eat good foods in your calories. Foods with high fiber and vitamins help to satiate you as well.

Thanks, that makes sense! I've been eating right at 1200 per day so maybe it is working and I can't see it yet! I do want to start working different exercises to try to target the problem areas. For instance, doing scissor lifts (I think that's what they are called, on your side, lift one leg straight up) to cut out the flab there. I also do a variety of versions of chest raises to try to get the fat under and around my biceps. I try a lot of different ab exercises but I have a hard time with them because of the mommy pooch. It's like having a ball between you, I can't sit up without hitting the "ball".

Exercising various body parts does not have anything to do with fat loss in those areas. Fat comes off of your body all over, you have no control over it.

That's what I've always heard but it can't hurt to try!

Actually it can if you waste too much time flopping around like a fish trying to target your abs when you could be burning 10x more calories doing something else.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Lately I started the 30-day Shred and I can see my muscles getting larger. THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT!! I need to lose the extra pounds and fat around the muscles. I have no desire to make my muscles any larger than they already are. Any suggestions??? Any at all??

Step #1.Take tape measurements of your legs, arms, and abdomen in several places.

Step #2. Exercise and eat healthy with a deficit.

Step #3. Keep taking measurements and you'll see that despite "looking" slightly more muscular you're actually shrinking.

Step #4. Go out and buy new clothes because your old ones fall off.

The best and easiest way to look like you gained 10 pounds of muscle is to lose 20-30 pounds of fat. Personally I still need to do step #4 because none of my pants stay on without a belt cinched down to a pretend notch I made so I could still use it.
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    YOUR Body IS Your Body! ACCEPT it and Love who YOU are.

I frequent this site solely to learn and gather useful information, and have never felt the need to post something until now. Can't help but notice how annoying and pointless every one of your posts lately has been. Must be nice to have that kind of free time. That is all.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Ahaha ^ daaang
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    What to take home from this:

1. You can't do crunches and expect to lose fat on your tummy
    2. Eat at a proper deficit and exercise will allow you to drop body fat
    3. You SHOULD be lifting weights
    4. Women don't naturally build HUGE muscles, they must eat like a sumo wrestler and/or take steroids
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did for my mommy tummy (besides losing weight from a calorie deficit) was to start lifting heavy weights. I have NOT gotten bulky at all, but doing squats with a barbell has flattened my tummy tremendously. That and push-ups/planks.

Make sure you are taking measurements to see if you are really losing inches or not.