792 calories left and the day is only half over!! HELP!!!

net_mavin
net_mavin Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I'm only halfway done with my day, and I still have dinner to consider and only 792 alotted calories left. Any ideas from some of you who have been doing this a while? Much thanks in advance!
:) J. C.

Replies

• Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Thats a lot of calories....I like to make chicken breast stuffed with light cream cheese and jalapeno's....baked or broiled. 1/2 cup of seasoned steamed rice and 2/3 cup of any veggie. Thats about 400 calories...then you have enough calories left for a yummy snack later!
    By the way, the chicken is FABULOUS!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Wow, I think that is pretty good! I usually eat 700 in the mornings and 700 at dinner (if I'm being good and sticking to my 1400 daily). What were you planning for dinner? There are a variety of meats and veggies you can have that won't go past the 800 mark. What's in your fridge and cabinets?
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    I agree with the above posters; I usually have 400-500 calories left by the time dinner rolls around.
    But if you're super concerned, or it's a splurge night, try to pick up an extra work-out during the day.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    You need to eat more! LOL You meals should be between 300 to 500 calories each. Then you won't have to eat so much at dinner.

Italian Turkey Spinach Pasta
    Ingredients

1 box Barilla Plus Penne Pasta
    2 lb Italian Style Ground Turkey
    1 large onion, diced
    2-3 T Garlic, minced
    3 C mushrooms
    6 C baby spinach
    2 C Zucchini, diced
    parmesan as desired

Directions

1. Boil pasta to package directions (do not add oil or salt) 2. In another pot break up ground turkey and cook (like ground beef).
    3. Once meat is cooked add mushrooms, garlic, onion and cook until tender 4. Drain noodles 5. Add noodles to sausage mixture 6. Add spinach one cup at a time and stir until wilted 7. Serve with 1T parmesan on top of each serving.

Number of Servings: 10 SERVING SIZE 1 & 1/2 Cups

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 407.4
    Total Fat: 19.3 g
    Cholesterol: 64.4 mg
    Sodium: 547.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 32.8 g
    Dietary Fiber: 4.4 g
    Protein: 25.0 g

Italian Meatloaf - you could possibly eat two serving of this recipe
    It makes 6 servings. You could also divide the recipe and make individual meatloaves using a cupcake tin. It turned out pretty well. You just have to make sure you spray the tins if they are not nonstick.

1 lb ground turkey
    1 small onion finely mince
    2 gloves garlic finely minced
    ½ cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (Processed in a food processor until fine.) ¼ tsp. salt or salt substitute
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. basil
    1 tsp. crushed red pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. If the mixture is not incorporating well you may have to add a teaspoon or two of water. Shape into a loaf on a baking tray that has been sprayed with cooking oil or divide into six cupcake tins sprayed with cooking oil. Bake between 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven.

Nutritional Information Per Serving
    Calories 118
    Calories from fat 61
    Carbohydrates 1 gram
    Fat 7 grams Sat. Fat 2 grams Trans. Fat 0
    Fiber 0 grams
    Sodium 168 milligrams (If you use salt in recipe.)
    Cholesterol 57 milligrams
    Protein 15 grams
  • loselose1
    loselose1 Posts: 7 Member
    Yes, I agree with red01angel. I just did a 35 minutes walk at high speed and that added quite a nice amount of extra calories for tonight. I don't plan on using them all but it is nice to have them there just in case.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Thats a lot of calories....I like to make chicken breast stuffed with light cream cheese and jalapeno's....baked or broiled. 1/2 cup of seasoned steamed rice and 2/3 cup of any veggie. Thats about 400 calories...then you have enough calories left for a yummy snack later!

That chicken sounds great! I want to do something different with the chicken breast I have laid out for dinner. I want something SPICY! :love: I don't have cream cheese... do you have any other good ideas for a spicy stuffed chicken breast? I have things like: diced tomatoes w. chiles, garlic, cumin, crushed red pepper and other spices, bread crumbs, mushrooms, jalapenos, cottage cheese :huh: , anything I could do with this? Anytime I try to make something new and exciting it turns out not-so-good! :sad:
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member

That chicken sounds great! I want to do something different with the chicken breast I have laid out for dinner. I want something SPICY! :love: I don't have cream cheese... do you have any other good ideas for a spicy stuffed chicken breast? I have things like: diced tomatoes w. chiles, garlic, cumin, crushed red pepper and other spices, bread crumbs, mushrooms, jalapenos, cottage cheese :huh: , anything I could do with this? Anytime I try to make something new and exciting it turns out not-so-good! :sad:

You can pretty much stuff chicken with anything and it will be delicious! I dont know about the cottage cheese though...if you have any other cheeses, they would work. Maybe try...Diced Tomatoes w. chiles and garlic? Maybe through some mushroom in their too?
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Chicken stuffed with goat cheese, and sauteed spinach + garlic. Ace.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member

You can pretty much stuff chicken with anything and it will be delicious! I dont know about the cottage cheese though...if you have any other cheeses, they would work. Maybe try...Diced Tomatoes w. chiles and garlic? Maybe through some mushroom in their too?

I have string cheese :huh:
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    The ladies weighed in, so I thought I would let you have a men's perspective. We men start the day with more calories than the ladies do, so I understand your panic. That being said, you can do well at dinner time with only 700 calories. Here are some tips:

- Lots of veggies; they have very few calories per ounce. If you do salad, consider your dressing calories (80-120 per tbsp).
    - About 4 ounces of meat. You will find that kills around 20-30% of your remaining calories.
    - Limit the carbs (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta) because they are packed with calories. (2 slices of bread will cost you 100 calories)

Stir fry will run you about 400-500 calories for a bunch with 1 cup of rice.
    A 6 oz steak, baked potato, and brocolli will run you about 600-700 calories.

The key is portion control. Let's face it, most of us guys are die-hard meat-a-tarians, who scoff at ladies for eating a salad for dinner. And if a little meat and potatoes taste good, a lot of meat and potatoes tastes great!!! And that is how we end up becoming members of sites like MFP.

Hang in there!!!
  • Thank you all so much! You've given me a LOT of "food" for thought! I'm leanign toward the stuffed chicken breast (thanks Kristen81). Mromnek, you are absolutely right in your view about meat tasting GREAT! I am definitely a "die-hard meat-a-tarian". I appreciate all of your input, and I'm a lot less stressed abotu dinner! :)
  • I've been eating Korean food for the past several days. I mix a cup of rice in with some kimchi, bean sprouts, some seasoned tofu, some sweet/spicy rice noodles, sweet/spicy anchovies (the tiny ones from the side dish) and a tablespoon of gochu jahng and I find that goes a long way.

The rice and kimchi make up the bulk of the food, the rest is just for flavor and adds up to something like 2 cups of food and 500 calories or so. For dinner I might saute some chicken,beef or fish to mix into it... not sure of how that would work out calorie-wise.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Are you new to limiting caloric intake? I ask because that is a lot of calories for dinner. What were you planning on eating for dinner? I think the most important part of losing is planning your meals.
  • The spinach doesn't even need to be sauteed. Use raw spinach, it will cook while you're baking the chicken and you'll save calories and fat from whatever you use to saute it in.:smile:
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    I have about 1000 cals left for dinner after my early morning cardio and i'm gonna use every last one if I can - am starving! Ha ;)
  • Hamiltonba, I AM new to limiting my caloric intake. I've never really "dieted" before, so this is ALL very new to me. When I was a younger man, I could pretty much eat anything, and as much as I wanted. Obviously my metabolism has slowed with age, and I'm interested in getting into the best shape of my life.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    My suggestion is broccoli! It has lots of fibre and protein and does an awesome job of filling up and is low on calories!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Hamiltonba, I AM new to limiting my caloric intake. I've never really "dieted" before, so this is ALL very new to me. When I was a younger man, I could pretty much eat anything, and as much as I wanted. Obviously my metabolism has slowed with age, and I'm interested in getting into the best shape of my life.

Yeah at first when you see 700 calories, you think there's no way I could eat a full meal for that amount of calorie intake and actually get full up etc. but it's really easy actually once you get the hang of it, what is out there that is healthy and low calories.

Agreed with broccoli by the way, great and filling!
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    that chicken stuffed with sauted spinach, oil and garlic.....ummmm yummy!! I can use the EVOO!! thanks ladies!
  • I found this really amazing Pork stir fry. Even my daughter of 6 Loved it! It is at least worth a try. there are lots of other great recipes on this site as well!

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/recipe/pork-apple-stir-fry
This discussion has been closed.