Belly fat foods - what's the REAL scoop?

Options
I know there's a lot out there on belly fat just now and some of it is just selling products or books but what are the mfp communities thoughts on losing belly fat? I know I have to lose the fat before the crunches will even show! And I know you can't target areas. So is there any truth to belly fat foods or belly fat reductions?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight, it will come from all over. You will lose in certain places before others. For me, it was belly first, thighs last. Everyone is different and there is no way to specifically target more weight loss in the belly vs. other places, no matter how many times Dr. Oz or any other diet or supplement pusher tells you otherwise.
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    That's what I've always been told. I just wonder where this muffin top came from and how to get rid of it. I really didn't have one even when I was overweight after having kids like I do now. oh, well. I'll keep at the overall big picture. Thanx
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know there's a lot out there on belly fat just now and some of it is just selling products or books but what are the mfp communities thoughts on losing belly fat? I know I have to lose the fat before the crunches will even show! And I know you can't target areas. So is there any truth to belly fat foods or belly fat reductions?

See bolded, then why ask the question if you already know?
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me, cutting out white foods, rice, flour, and pasta, helped big time!!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i wish i wish..damn belly is my problem area. just keep working on overall fitness and eventually the stubborn spots will start to respond.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No, there is nothing to the belly fat loss quick fixes. It's all about calorie deficit and patience.

On a side note, crunches are a horribly inefficient way to work your core.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, my belly tends to swell up if I have too many processed wheat products, presumably due to the way it absorbs water etc. I find it quite uncomfortable. Don't get the same thing with sprouted wheat however.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    How close are you to menopause? The hormone fluctuation will cause you to put it on around the middle. Estrogen is stored in fat. So the body tries to conserve fat. Why it is the belly, butt, and thighs, I don't know. But for most women it is.

The key it to burn the fat you have and not store more fat. Eat clean, workout, and when it drops try to keep it there lol! It can be done. It is just a lot harder to do. IF you are close to that age.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    The real scoop is that it's BS. Profit is what makes people write this ****.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I hate the words "belly fat." NOTHING can get rid of fat in any specific area of the body. No one ever suggests foods that get rid of arm fat or neck fat.

Any article about nutrition that uses the words "belly fat" or is in slideshow format should be taken with a very small grain of salt.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    My belly has been the last to go :( My arms and legs are beginning to really look good. My stomach.. a mess. It's coming tho.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This.

I wish I could target certain areas of flab haha
    I just target the things I know that I can target ( glorious muscles)
    And there are a lot of other things that we can target through diet, skin issues etc.
    But belly seems to be the last place I lose :(
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. End of story.

However... in order to see definition, you need to eat healthily and decrease body fat %.

Cardio + Weights should do the trick! It is for me any way :smile:
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

i was gonna say... sounds like marketing BS to me.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There have been some interesting studies in seaweed and fat stores.
    Have a bit of a hunt and a read.
    Not for spot reduction or anything just in general it's a bit of a wonder food
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The real scoop is that ….two scoops - if it puts you over your calorie deficit will cause belly fat (and the rest of the body fat)
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    No, there is nothing to the belly fat loss quick fixes. It's all about calorie deficit and patience.

On a side note, crunches are a horribly inefficient way to work your core.

I hate crunches because my form is perfect and yet my neck and back do NOT like them. I've tried planks. What would you say are good core exercises? If you don't mind me asking.
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    I hate the words "belly fat." NOTHING can get rid of fat in any specific area of the body. No one ever suggests foods that get rid of arm fat or neck fat.

Any article about nutrition that uses the words "belly fat" or is in slideshow format should be taken with a very small grain of salt.

Ha ha! So true. Let's target our neck fat!
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    Thanx for all the encouragement and re-enforcement!
  • prosksb
    Options
    I hate crunches because my form is perfect and yet my neck and back do NOT like them. I've tried planks. What would you say are good core exercises? If you don't mind me asking.

Bosu ball squats (cos you have to stabilize yourself)
    TRX Plank + crunches.
    Woodchoppers

That's all I can think of off the top of my head... I'd gladly take suggestions too!