Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Skim milk has 12 gram of sugars, all milk sugars
    1% milk has 13 grams of sugar, all milk sugars
    2% milk has 12 grams of sugar, all milk sugars
    whole milk has 12 grams of sugar, all milk sugars

The difference is 1gram or 0.035274 ounces. It is that small of a difference. Basically I am guessing there is a difference between all of them, but is rounded out because of its size.

I can not get past this. It is really bugging my brain. WHERE the extra 1 gram come from in the 1%?

If you have 100ml of liquid, and take away the fat, then the 100ml without the fat will have a higher concentration of protein and sugars.

then why would skim have less than 1% and with that same thinking wouldn't whole have less? The increase should be incremental with that theory.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    sandhillsmom,

THANK YOU for being the voice of SANITY on the skim milk issue!

(of course, being a teacher, you want to help folks see the TRUTH of the matter!)

:happy: janie

Thanks Janie!! A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! hehehe

Jan
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options

I can not get past this. It is really bugging my brain. WHERE the extra 1 gram come from in the 1%?

You know, I wondered the same thing. I never found an answer and every site I looked at gave the same kind of numbers.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You know, I wondered the same thing. I never found an answer and every site I looked at gave the same kind of numbers.
    My guess, and it's only a guess, is that without the milkfat, the volume of the product is slightly lowered, so per volume, there's a teensy bit more carbs and protein in the final product. Otherwise they would have to add water to make the volume equal.

Edit to fix quote.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

So, I just read something about skim milk and I wanted to see if any of you have heard about this....

I read this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/top-tips-from-health-experts_n_1865877.html?utm_hp_ref=marlo-thomas&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl18|sec3_lnk1&pLid=206744.

There is a slide in there (keeping in mind it's from the Dr. Oz show) that skim milk is the most fattening milk because even though it's low on calories, it's basically sugar when it gets to the non-fat level.

I switched to skim when I started MFP - I was drinking 1% before that... now I'm tempted to switch back. My hubs won't go below 2% - so I buy two 1/2 gallons...

What do you guys think about this?

This is true. But remember it is a natural lactose. Just like you would find in other things. The fat in other milk helps to buffer some of the natural sugars present. you have to decide calories or a natural type of sugar. you would do worse with soya or almond milks. So stick to what makes you comfortable.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that without the milkfat, the volume of the product is slightly lowered, so per volume, there's a teensy bit more carbs and protein in the final product. Otherwise they would have to add water to make the volume equal.

Edit to fix quote.

Following that logic, we would think that skim milk would have the highest amount of sugar.

Maybe the process by which they destroy the fat molecules in skim milk (if they use a separate procedure?) bumps up the volume a little bit? Or maybe they add a touch of water to it? Or maybe some of the sugar molecules are destroyed?

Or perhaps it takes the average of all companies who make the 1% milk, and there are less companies who make 1% milk without any additives.

The difference is probably a lot less than 1 g, too. It might be like 12.4 g in fat free, 12.6 in 1%, 12.4 in 2% and 12.2 % in whole. I haven't looked into it that extensively, and it still raises the question of why.