Salmon Cravings

Options
Salmon steaks are by far my favorite food but I tend to cook it the same way every single time! I wrap it in alfoil with fresh garlic and honey, season and bake until cooked. It's delicious, but I need some variety!

If you have a yummy low-calorie salmon recipe please share! :drinker:

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this one yet, but I saw it in a 5-ingredient cookbook and I've been meaning to give it a shot:

Blackberry Salmon (from "The 5:30 Challenge" by Jeanne Besser and Susan Pucket)

Ingredients: two 4 ounce salmon filets, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (divided into 2 half-teaspoons), 1 teaspoon garlic powder (again divided into 2 half-teaspoons - but you could probably just grate some fresh garlic), 3 tablespoons blackberry preserves, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard.

(Directions paraphrased.) Preheat the broiler in your oven. Lightly oil the salmon and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp thyme and 1/2 tsp garlic powder, then broil it for 5 minutes. Reduce oven to 425F and bake for 5 minutes. While fish cooks combine remaining thyme, garlic powder, preserves and mustard. (Heat the preserves in the microwave if too thick.). Remove salmon from oven and top it with the preserve mixture. Return the fish to the oven until the fish is fully cooked, a few more minutes.

Like I said, I haven't tried this. It sounds a bit weird, but it intrigues me!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Great! There are much worse things to be addicted to than salmon!

Try making a marinade with hoi-sin, a splash of soy sauce, chilli, ginger and garlic. Mix it all up in a dish and sit the salmon in there for a couple of hours for it to soak it all up. Bake, serve with brown rice and broccoli and spoon some of the left over marinade over the top. Its REALLY scrummy!!!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I sometimes combine lime juice, chilli, soy sauce and fish sauce (a tablespoonish of each of the liquids, mabe rather less of the soy, and chilli to taste). Then I heat a little bit of sesame oil in a pan and sear the salmon on both sides. When it's gots a good colour, pour over the sauce which will quickly bubble down to form a glaze. Yum - might have to have this tonight!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    50 salmon recepies

http://www.marthastewart.com/275293/salmon-recipes/@center/344318/fish-and-shellfish-recipes

my fav is salomon with teryaki sauce, or salmon glazed with honey and orange juice
    i can't get enough of salmon
    yum
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    salmon parcels

Ingredients
    fresh salmon
    red peppers - 30g - cut long and thin
    crushed chillies - 3g
    lime juice - tbl spoon

wrap up tightly in tin foil and place in the oven for 20 mins 200 c

served with green beans and potato whipped with a dash of milk and chives (no butter)
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Could you give some more info on your garlic/ honey packets? Proportions, how long to cook and at what temp?
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Could you give some more info on your garlic/ honey packets? Proportions, how long to cook and at what temp?

Sure!
    I just put a salmon steak (about 200g) in some foil, slice about 4-5 garlic cloves (you could cut this down, I just have lots coz I love garlic) in half and spread over the salmon. Trickle a small amount (maybe 1 tbsp) over the salmon, along with some salt and pepper, fold the foil to make a parcel, then bake at about 180 degrees celcius for around 20 mins-ish, depending how well you like your salmon cooked (I like mine well cooked).

It's simple, and delicious. Sometimes if I'm feeling naughty I will crush the garlic and mix it with a tiny bit of low fat margarine instead, and do garlic butter salmon!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My name is Sue and I am a salmon addict.

(room: "Hiiiii Sue")

I make pesto and put a nice layer of it on broiled salmon, it is by far my favorite food. Also Iron Chef bottled sauces are good, especially the sesame garlic. Yum.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Salmon steaks are by far my favorite food but I tend to cook it the same way every single time! I wrap it in alfoil with fresh garlic and honey, season and bake until cooked. It's delicious, but I need some variety!

If you have a yummy low-calorie salmon recipe please share! :drinker:

go to allrecipes.com they have TONS!
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I eat mine the same way every time because I love it. And I could eat it every day. I just spray it with a little olive oil and sprinkle bbq seasoning on it and put it under the broiler And I love it with the skin still on it...when the skin gets all black and crunchy..yummy!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use a maple bourbon glaze. 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, 1/3 cup orange juice, 3 Tbsp. bourbon. Heat to a light boil, stirring, use some to baste salmon, continue to boil until thickens, gets syrupy, pour over salmon as serving. You can also add chopped pecans or walnuts.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I like my salmon very very plain. Olive oil and rosemary (then grilled well, I like salmon 'less-wet', too)
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle with corn starch, salt, pepper, and dill weed. Fry in pan with fat-free cooking spray or olive oil. You can watch the side of the salmon to know when it's done enough, so it's not over-cooked.
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    I cook mine similar to yours. Make an envelope of aluminum foil. Add the salmon, pepper, garlic, lemon pepper and lemon juice. Lots of lemon juice. Do the same in another envelope with onion and all of the seasonings. Bake in the oven until cooked through.
    So good. So easy. So healthy.

I also like salmon patties. You can cook salmon and then shred it up or just by canned salmon. Make it like a tuna patty (with bread crumbs and/or egg, lots of spices, any veggies you want - I add garlic clove, onion, and bell pepper). Pan fry in a little oil until you get a nice crispy outer crust.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I just had them for dinner tonight! I had an 8 oz. salmon filet coated with plain 4c breadcrumbs. I mixed Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning in with the breadcrumbs because it has no sodium.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I love all these & can't wait to try. If want a fast pre-made dish, try Morey's marinated salmon. It is pre-seasoned & really tasty. I get mine at Sam's Club.
  • icandothis318
    icandothis318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Sure!
    I just put a salmon steak (about 200g) in some foil, slice about 4-5 garlic cloves (you could cut this down, I just have lots coz I love garlic) in half and spread over the salmon. Trickle a small amount (maybe 1 tbsp) over the salmon, along with some salt and pepper, fold the foil to make a parcel, then bake at about 180 degrees celcius for around 20 mins-ish, depending how well you like your salmon cooked (I like mine well cooked).

It's simple, and delicious. Sometimes if I'm feeling naughty I will crush the garlic and mix it with a tiny bit of low fat margarine instead, and do garlic butter salmon!

This sounds delicious!!!!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I still have to try more of these recipes so I need to bump this back up where I can find it. LOL
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple: Grilled with salt and lemon pepper though I did have some that had been marinated in a mix of mustard and maple syrup. It was very good and simple.