Do you refrigerate your ketchup?

Options

Replies

• Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ok, I dont mean to hijack the ketchup thread but I have a buddy and his whole family leaves the butter out on the counter. Is it ust me or is that freakin weird?

No, we do it too. It's much easier to use if it's room temperature. But I grew up doing that. I don't bat an eyelash at it, honestly.

I grew up with my mom & grandmother doing it and I do it as well. I have a butter crock that keeps it. It freaked my boyfriend out at first but he sees the benefit to spreadable butter so now he does it too, lol.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok, I dont mean to hijack the ketchup thread but I have a buddy and his whole family leaves the butter out on the counter. Is it ust me or is that freakin weird?

I cut the butter into pieces that I'll use through the week in a SEALED container on the counter, it's nice and soft when it comes to spread it on toast or whatever needs it, but there's not enough out that it goes bad before it gets used up, AND any flies or insects that do get into the house don't get at the butter.

To stay on topic, yes I refrigerate it, but I also don't put the ketchup straight on the fries or whatever to cool them off, it goes into a dish / or pile where it gets warmer before time to use.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I do, but I feel the same way when ppl refrigerate butter! Like, how the heck are you supposed to spread a rock-hard nugget of butter on warm toast? :grumble: Drives me nuts!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do, but I feel the same way when ppl refrigerate butter! Like, how the heck are you supposed to spread a rock-hard nugget of butter on warm toast? :grumble: Drives me nuts!

You're kidding, right?
  • xBrittanyK
    Options
    It's weird, because I loooove warm ketchup from the little packets, but I prefer my at home ketchup cold. My husband prefers the ketchup to be left out, so some days it's cold, some days it's warm. Whatever, lol. Also, there's so much vinegar, sugar and acidity from the tomatoes that it won't go bad if it sits out, so don't fret.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options

You're kidding, right?

Not at all! My grandma did it every day of her life, (and that was before they had good AC here in Arizona!) and she never had trouble with it. It's harder for butter to go bad than you might think. Invest in a good butter crock or glass butter dish to keep bugs and dust out, and it stays nice and soft in the cupboard. Try it. Your hot dinner rolls and toast will thank you for not torturously dragging gravel-esque rocks of butter across their delicate velvety surfaces! :drinker:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I like my condiments like I like my women:

Cold and past their expiration date.

(apologies if someone has already said this)
  • JMull1977
    Options
    Just the thought of warm ketchup makes me want to projectile vom.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I do. But my sister doesn't. She doesn't refrigerate eggs or milk either. She claims if you use them within the week, you shouldn't have to. It just makes me uncomfortable.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    I do. But my sister doesn't. She doesn't refrigerate eggs or milk either. She claims if you use them within the week, you shouldn't have to. It just makes me uncomfortable.

This straight up made me squirm. Eggs I can maaaaaaaaybe deal with being left out, but milk? HAIL naw! *Shudder* I like my milk (and all drinks) ice ice ICE cold!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Well at least this isn't some weird post touting that there's a metabolic advantage to cold ketchup vs warm ketchup. Progress.

But it takes more calories to adjust cold ketchup to body temperature therefore it's better for you if you're trying to lose weight. It almost makes it a negative food...you'll burn more calories bring it up to body temp and digesting then the ketchup gives.
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Eggs that you know when you got them... yeah I leave out the farm fresh ones. Even after a week out they're likely fresher than what you're buying at the grocery store :P
    But milk.. if it's raw milk yeah I'd leave it out, but if it's the pasteurized stuff bought commercially, that's going in the fridge... raw milk sours naturally sharpening the taste for more uses. Pasteurized is either good or bad to the point you won't use it.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't have ketchup... I refrigerate my mustard.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    Eggs that you know when you got them... yeah I leave out the farm fresh ones. Even after a week out they're likely fresher than what you're buying at the grocery store :P
    But milk.. if it's raw milk yeah I'd leave it out, but if it's the pasteurized stuff bought commercially, that's going in the fridge... raw milk sours naturally sharpening the taste for more uses. Pasteurized is either good or bad to the point you won't use it.

Where can you buy raw milk? I've been thinking about making the switch for a while.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    umm yes
    o_0
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Couldn't tell you. I had cows the last time I had it, so I didn't have to buy it.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I keep the ketchup and mayo in the fridge, peanut butter (unless it's the no preservative kind from the natural food store) and mustard on the pantry and the tomatoes and garlic on the counter. I will smack someone who puts my tomatoes in the fridge.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    Couldn't tell you. I had cows the last time I had it, so I didn't have to buy it.

Bummer. I don't know anyone with cows, so I guess I'm SOL.
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    My Heinz organic ketchup says "refrigerate after opening". I always obey Heinz! :laugh:
    My organic, all-natural peanut butter does not say it has to be refrigerated after opening. PTL. :wink:
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It says right on the bottle to refrigerate after opening. Of course, I refrigerate it.

^^^This - Following directions is always the best way to go!!