What is wrong with my metabolism?

I hear of women who burn 600 calories an hour with Zumba. I can't burn over 300 !!!! I use a HRM so I really do know how many calories I am burning. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I really do give it all I have, also. I am 5' 4" tall and weigh 145.

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Zumba, do something harder!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member

:laugh: Just saw you at another post about Zumba. You really hate it, don't you?:laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Honestly... you're not doing anything wrong. You're tracking it accurately. I am guessing others may not be using a HRM. It has nothing to do with a "faulty metabolism."

And if Zumba gets you moving instead of sitting on a couch, it's better than nothin. Work it, sista.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    1)you aren't pushing yourself hard enough
    2)maybe your HRM sucks....what kind do you have?
    3)you're getting in great shape and it takes more to raise that HR! (also, see #1)

I'm burning less calories the fitter I get and the lighter I get. It sucks, but it just means I have to work harder to get the burn.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I hear of women who burn 600 calories an hour with Zumba. I can't burn over 300 !!!! I use a HRM so I really do know how many calories I am burning. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I really do give it all I have, also. I am 5' 4" tall and weigh 145.

There are some smaller variables as to why people burn different amounts of calories. But remember a calories is a measure of energy. Energy is measure by distance, time...and mass. Since distance & time are similar the only difference is mass. yes, this means because you weigh less, you burn fewer calories. Nothing wrong with you. It just is what it is.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    They're bigger than you

They work harder than you

They are overestimating the burn

One or all of the above, most likely.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Probably nothing. There is a big difference between someone who weighs 145 and say a person who weighs 245. I realize you want to lose weight also but someone who posts 600 cal burn has to be much larger than you. You are doing well. Don't get discouraged.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member

hahahahah love it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    They're bigger than you

They work harder than you

They are overestimating the burn

One or all of the above, most likely.

That's what I was trying to say :) But you did it much better!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    I burn the same calories while in spinning class but I don't enjoy spinning as much as Zumba. I just can't see burning 600 calories an hour. Plus, there are people who are claiming to be burning upwards of 1000. :noway:
  • staling007
    staling007 Posts: 5 Member
    I agree with the other posts, but have you tried mixing it up with another activity? Sometimes we level off and need to change it up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I burn the same calories while in spinning class but I don't enjoy spinning as much as Zumba. I just can't see burning 600 calories an hour. Plus, there are people who are claiming to be burning upwards of 1000. :noway:

How long have you been exercising?

As you get fitter you get more efficient, for example my bike ride this morning was 19km at approx 24km/h (15 mph) and my HRM recorded 630 cal. Looking at my logs the same ride a couple of years ago (at a slower pace) was closer to 800 cal. I also see that MFP over estimates calories - it would have had me record close to 900 cal for today's ride.

Don't get discouraged, the ones claiming 1000cal burns are probably using MFPs numbers, better to be conservative and keep losing weight than to be overestimating your burn and ultimately posting one of the "Why aren't I losing??" threads.
  • I burn the same calories while in spinning class but I don't enjoy spinning as much as Zumba. I just can't see burning 600 calories an hour. Plus, there are people who are claiming to be burning upwards of 1000. :noway:

The 1000 burners: are these from Zumba or other activities? I can burn upwards of 1100 in just one workout because I work extremely hard to push the heart rate up to 182 and keep it up past 170. Yes, I wear a Polar F7 monitor, too. The KEY is to get the heart rate up and keep it up. Can I get that with Zumba? I doubt it. It's not challenging enough for me. I did Insanity and now I do P90x (hour long) AND I hit my cardio-core elliptical for an hour. I've burned as much as 1360 from both of those, back to back.

You really need to look into supplementing your Zumba workouts with something else or find a new program that's going to really push you to get your heart rate up.

Also, you really shouldn't judge yourself based off of what others are doing. You are setting yourself up for failure. As Shaun T. says (Insanity), do what YOU can do and keep pushing yourself further.
    Erica
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I burn close to 1000 cals an hour when I run, but I'm also a guy that weighs 250 lbs.