Replies

• Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started with 3 & 5. Now at 9 - 12. The test is if you struggle in the last 3 reps then you have the right weight.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Strength standards to see where you stack up.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    1-5 reps for Strength and power
    6-8 reps for some strength and some hypertrophy
    8-13 reps for hypertrophy
    13+ reps for endurance

For all those rep ranges, you should really be struggling to complete the last couple reps of a set- for example if you're doing a 5 rep set it should feel like
    Rep 1: I can do this
    Rep 2: Ok, it's pretty heavy, but doable
    Rep 3: This is getting heavy
    Rep 4: Ermagherd, this is heavy *kitten*! I don't know if I can do 1 more!
    Rep 5: *kitten*! Grrrrrruummmpphh.......heavy breathing......more heavy breathing..........I'm a BADA$$.

If it doesn't feel like that, it's not heavy.

Is Ermagherd a proper medical term? I like it. :)
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread... bumping :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Heavy enough for me to get an awesome pump
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    13+ reps for endurance

For all those rep ranges, you should really be struggling to complete the last couple reps of a set- for example if you're doing a 5 rep set it should feel like
    Rep 5: *kitten*! Grrrrrruummmpphh.......heavy breathing......more heavy breathing..........I'm a BADA$$.

^^this, its a great explanation.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain what 'muscular endurance' looks like?

I've heard that smaller reps make for comparatively more neuromuscular demands, greater strength, and smaller, denser muscle, and that 8-12 reps makes for larger, plumper-looking muscles. What aesthetic effect does the 15-20 rep range have?

(I know that it's best to move between the ranges, but, have never been able to work this out)
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I've heard that smaller reps make for comparatively more neuromuscular demands, greater strength, and smaller, denser muscle, and that 8-12 reps makes for larger, plumper-looking muscles. What aesthetic effect does the 15-20 rep range have?
    Lets put it this way, type II muscle all works the same way, you stress it, and it grows during rest and caloric excess. The reason 8-12 reps is the 'size' range is by and large because you have a lot more muscle fibre count of that type compared to strength types. but make no mistake, training 5 reps will grow your muscle size too,. training 8-12 will make you stronger. hypertrophy is hypertrophy, regardless of your rep range. Take a strongman, lose some fat and he won't look out of place at any BB comp, even though he doesn't train for BB. Take any BBer, toss him at a powerlifting comp, and he won't look out of place, even though he doesn't train for powerlifting. The 2 training methods are very closely linked. Actually so closely linked thats it's basically widely accepted that for anyone outside of elite BBers, the best way too build size is to train over all rep ranges. 5/3/1, WSFSB and PHAT being prime examples of good intermediate templates doing this. The days of 1 bodypart a day per week split is long dead except by noobs.

that said, as for what adaptations training in the 15+ rep range has, it depends. There will be some stress to the fibres causing them to fray, thus during rest hypertrophy will occur. But it will be limited as this type of training is NOT designed to fray muscle fibre near as much as to train it to be efficient. So aside from a basic amount, it really won't build any muscle. Same principle to a degree why cardio doesn't build massive legs, it's technically 15+ rep legwork.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    My definition of heavy lifting.....

186867_7544.jpg
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

Lets put it this way, type II muscle all works the same way, you stress it, and it grows during rest and caloric excess. The reason 8-12 reps is the 'size' range is by and large because you have a lot more muscle fibre count of that type compared to strength types. but make no mistake, training 5 reps will grow your muscle size too,. training 8-12 will make you stronger. hypertrophy is hypertrophy, regardless of your rep range. Take a strongman, lose some fat and he won't look out of place at any BB comp, even though he doesn't train for BB. Take any BBer, toss him at a powerlifting comp, and he won't look out of place, even though he doesn't train for powerlifting. The 2 training methods are very closely linked. Actually so closely linked thats it's basically widely accepted that for anyone outside of elite BBers, the best way too build size is to train over all rep ranges. 5/3/1, WSFSB and PHAT being prime examples of good intermediate templates doing this. The days of 1 bodypart a day per week split is long dead except by noobs.

that said, as for what adaptations training in the 15+ rep range has, it depends. There will be some stress to the fibres causing them to fray, thus during rest hypertrophy will occur. But it will be limited as this type of training is NOT designed to fray muscle fibre near as much as to train it to be efficient. So aside from a basic amount, it really won't build any muscle. Same principle to a degree why cardio doesn't build massive legs, it's technically 15+ rep legwork.

Thank you!!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    There's really no "personal" definition of heavy lifting, heavy lifting or maximal strength training is pretty specific. This form of training focuses on a percentage of the individual's 1-rep max. That percentage ranges from 85% to 100% of the 1RM. Reps in this range typically fall between 1 and 5. Though there's no individual definition of what "heavy" lifting is, what's considered heavy is relative to the individual. For example person A might Squat 200lbs and 90% of that is 180lbs, while person B might Squat 400lbs and 90% of that is 320lbs. Both lifters can apply the 90% range of maximal strength training but the weight used is relative to their individual strength.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You are getting stronger everyday my sweet friend! :flowerforyou:
    I don't go to a gym - I workout at home. I have a Total Gym but haven't used it lately. I have handweights up to 50 pounds. I can't do squats because I have had 4 knee surgeries and they cause me a lot of problems.

I started straight leg "dead lifts" with hand weights at 5 pounds and was so sore the next day I couldn't walk. However, I did 12 reps no problem. So despite my aching legs, I upped the weight to 10 pounds and had a hard time doing 8.

It is good to read this because I always thought I was a super wimp cuz I couldn't "lift heavy" but in fact, I am lifting heavy for me, I am just not that strong... yet.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    13+ reps for endurance

I like this
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    13+ reps for endurance

Sounds about right to me :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    13+ reps for endurance

Best definition ever!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Only read the OP.

A) The most amount of weight you can handle in the 3-5 rep range.

B) I don't exactly include shoulder raises in "lifting heavy"
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options

This is what I will try today! :)