Are you bipolar?

Options

Replies

• LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Basically, I go through periods (usually lasting a few months at a time) where I am either abnormally depressed and do stupid things because of the depressions such as have suicidal ideations, stay in bed all the time, self injure etc. and then after a few months will have a period of abnormal….I wouldn’t call it “happiness” per se, but hyperactivity where I might do reckless things such as overspend, overeat, etc.

I used to take medications but I stopped. I’ve tried various cocktails of just about every med for this that there is. I will not take medication for it (or for depression or anxiety) ever again due to the weight gain side effects. I now keep it under control with therapy.

Also, and I’m sure some will be skeptical of this, but the fear of having to go back on the meds is a good motivator for keeping me aware of what I’m doing and changing my behavior before I do something stupid. Thinking about cutting myself? Usually I’ll stop because I don’t want to go back on the meds and gain back all the weight I lost. Thinking of spending $500 on crap I don’t need? Nope. Not gonna do it because they’ll make me take the meds. The fear of those meds works wonders for me.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Basically, I go through periods (usually lasting a few months at a time) where I am either abnormally depressed and do stupid things because of the depressions such as have suicidal ideations, stay in bed all the time, self injure etc. and then after a few months will have a period of abnormal….I wouldn’t call it “happiness” per se, but hyperactivity where I might do reckless things such as overspend, overeat, etc.

I used to take medications but I stopped. I’ve tried various cocktails of just about every med for this that there is. I will not take medication for it (or for depression or anxiety) ever again due to the weight gain side effects. I now keep it under control with therapy.

Also, and I’m sure some will be skeptical of this, but the fear of having to go back on the meds is a good motivator for keeping me aware of what I’m doing and changing my behavior before I do something stupid. Thinking about cutting myself? Usually I’ll stop because I don’t want to go back on the meds and gain back all the weight I lost. Thinking of spending $500 on crap I don’t need? Nope. Not gonna do it because they’ll make me take the meds. The fear of those meds works wonders for me.

wow, awesome....wish I had more fear of this meds **** than in being this wreck for some weeks again and again....
    :frown:
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options
    It is absolutely essential that you take medication

No, it's not. Not for everyone. It is a chemical disorder, yes. But it has many behavioral symptoms and if you can recognize the symptoms and control them without medication, like I do, you will be just fine.

Being on meds ruined my life. I strongly caution anyone against taking them without very seriously sitting down and discussing the side effects with a doctor. Aside from the weight gain, I was constantly sick, and felt like a zombie most of the time.
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options

wow, awesome....wish I had more fear of this meds **** than in being this wreck for some weeks again and again....
    :frown:

Oh don't get me wrong. If I injure myself or do anything that indicates I can't control it without meds, they are going to force me to go back on them. Though, to be honest, if they do that, I probably will just stop going for therapy, period.

There aren't words for how much I hate these medications and what they do to people.
  • tmg121180
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2010 but, have suffered from major depression and anxiety since 2000. I currently take fluoxetine for the depression and anxiety. I used to take depakote for the bipolar when I was first diagnosed but, refused to take it when I got pregnant with my daughter. my doctor switched me to carbamazepine after I had her in April. But, i guess we're still working on finding the right dosage because I don't feel like it's really working and I've just recently been told by husband that he feels like lately all I do is snap at him.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Bipolar II here. I don't do meds. When I tried a few years ago they made things MUCH worse. I felt like there was another voice in my head that was telling me to do things that I would never think of doing on my own. When I got off the meds (tried a few different ones) the symptoms stopped. I've learned to cope with the swings on my own. It's' not always easy, but at least I feel like I am in control.
  • Treesy72
    Options

Wow sounds just like me. I also refuse to take meds anymore and I'm handling it fine. When I start to obsess over something now I just talk myself through it.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely essential that you take medication

No, it's not. Not for everyone. It is a chemical disorder, yes. But it has many behavioral symptoms and if you can recognize the symptoms and control them without medication, like I do, you will be just fine.

Being on meds ruined my life. I strongly caution anyone against taking them without very seriously sitting down and discussing the side effects with a doctor. Aside from the weight gain, I was constantly sick, and felt like a zombie most of the time.

It does effect people differently. I would recommend everyone to talk to a doctor... but, I would never caution people to not take meds. I am on meds, and I feel 100x better with them. I felt like a zombie at first... but, I stuck it out until the doctors found the right combination for me.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    There are many different types of medications. You and your practitioner will figure out if you want to control your anger, your depression, your manic episodes, your sleep... there are many variables of Bipolar and it is difficult to control them all. Try to find the one aspect of it that bothers you the most often (or is the most extreme) and you can begin a medication that can help control that aspect.

I am on lithium because it supresses the hypomania episodes, resulting in less irritability, more even sleep at night. It does NOT improve depression and it does NOT prevent me from having hypomania or depressive episodes. It does however really supress the hypomania and that in turn helps me stay level because the depression (for me) always followed a manic episode.

there are other medicines that help suppress depression symptoms, etc.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    No, but I know people who are that I am very close with.... let's just say it's not fun, even as an outsider. The person I know has Type 2, so it's not the stereotypical outbursts that we always see on tv as the "typical" bipolar. But it is very helpful to be seeing a psychiatrist, having medications and learning what your triggers are (or if you are close with someone with bipolar disorder to learn what their triggers are and help them through it) and learning how to avoid them or deal with them if you can't avoid it. The person I know becomes a workaholic when they are in their manic state. Constantly working, doing something, anything. Then the depressive state, will be mostly sleeping... the most irritable... just has no interest in anything.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh I might suggest taking someone close to you, like a parent, spouse or sibling... someone you see everyday and knows your behaviors to a psychiatric appointment if you can. Bipolar disorder is sometimes hard to diagnose, because people only really recognize their depressive states and not their manic states and you might not think to mention those times to the psychiatrist. At least this is what I have come to understand from dealing with it from an outsiders role.

And the person I know with type 2 also doesn't take their meds, at least not all the time. But they have learned to recognize and cope with their triggers.
  • Webona293
    Webona293 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have an appt at the end of October and I will bring it up. I am just going to try to read up as much as possible until then.

Can't you get in sooner?

OMG a lot of psych drs are backed up the wazzoo in appointments and if you don't have good insurance or are on state/govt insurance there is up to a 2-3 month wait for new pt appt unless you go to the pysch emergency. I know a low-income clinic in Dallas has a 4 month wait.
  • AdrianasMombieED
    AdrianasMombieED Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i was never diagnosed.
    but, i have all the symptoms of type 2 bipolar.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am not seeing a psych dr, just my fam dr.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am not seeing a psych dr, just my fam dr.

I would definitely recommend seeing a psychiatrist because general practitioners just aren't well-versed enough in psychiatric medications. I spent over ten years being dragged through the dirt by general practitioners who kept misdiagnosing me and putting me on antidepressants. Problem is, antidepressants will zip me into a manic state comically fast. Even when I finally got diagnosed and put on lithium (my lifesaver!), a general practitioner wanted to put me on an antidepressant. Put me in a mixed state, and I ended up in the hospital.

I'm diagnosed bipolar I, moderate to severe (depending on episode), and I suffer from mixed episodes in addition to manic and depressive episodes. I wouldn't wish a mixed episode on my worst enemy, and it's one reason why I feel seeing a psychiatrist is important.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    Those of you who are bipolar, what is it like when you experience the highs and lows? How do you manage your anger? I am having a serious problem with it.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed Bipolar when I was 14. People stereotyped me as crazy and made me feel like I would not lead a normal life. It is FALSE! With proper medication and lots of hard work you can overcome :) You will always have it, but you can be more than the disorder. It does not define you. Most of all it takes real effort on your part to get better. You have to be stronger. You have to tell yourself every day that it is NOT AN EXCUSE. Anytime you feel like making an impulsive decision, you have to stop and say, "Do I really want to do this, or are the chemicals in my brain making me THINK I want to?" You will have breakdowns. But who doesn't. Surround yourself with people who love you and understand the disorder. Obviously there will be people who make it hard. The key is to find the people who make everything worth it. Always remember you're important and special and human. Good luck!
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am Bipolar II as many are here at MFP. (Hmmm, wonder if we are a higher percent of the population trying to lose weight due to manic behaviors or emotional eating.....anyway, back to post)

I see a Psychiatrist for Meds amd minimal counseling. I see a marriage counselor with my wife to help me recalibrate my behaviors and understand our relationship from my wife's point of view.

I take lithium (cheap stuff) and Wellbutrin (not too expensive either). I learned a lot about Psych meds from WWW.crazymeds.com
    You can end up trying them and going through a lot of bad experiences/side effects until you get the right ones. I had very bad experiences with my anti-depressants (very compulsive behavior, feelings of invincibility, overactive sex drive) until I did my own research (see website above) and I recommended the med for my Psych to prescribe to me. He asked me for my reasons, I responded with what I learned, and he said "OK!."

Being bipolar does not go away. You are not cured. You manage. You manage your behavior day to day. Meds alone do not always solve all the behavior problems. But that also means the good aspects of being bipolar: the energy, the creativity, the things you do and say that make people laugh or be inspired by you, that gets diminished as well. The trick is to find the balance in the meds and behavior mods that mitigates the unwanted behaviors ans still leaves enough of your personal "sparkle" to make you feel like you are still "you" and not a drugged zombie.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    Being bipolar does not go away.

This is what I keep reading, and that is seriously depressing. So basically I am going to cycle back and forth between hating myself and being okay with myself for the rest of my life. Plus being angry ALL.THE.TIME and exploding at the drop of a hat. Wonderful.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar. There are extremely different levels and types of bipolar disorder, though. There's rapid cycling, bipolar I, bipolar II . . . you get the idea. Unfortunately for me, I don't get the ecstatic "highs" that some people get when manic. Instead, my manic cycles tend to consist of extreme anxiety rather than happiness. I HAVE had some cases of extreme ecstasy in the past, though.

Be careful, because bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder are often diagnosed for each other.

I have been on antidepressants AND mood stabilizers, but, to be honest, there is no "magic pill." Mood stabilizers can help make your ups and downs less extreme, but you will still have ups and downs that are probably more extreme than the average person.

I have been off prescription meds for the past several months, though, and have found that doing yoga + other exercises EVERY day helps me just as much as my low-dose mood stabilizer ever did. Also, natural compounds like L-Theanine are helpful. (Look it up; it's been proven to help with bipolar disorder and with anxiety, and his way less side-effects than a lot of the stuff doctors have prescribed me. It's naturally found in green tea, but you need capsules to get a high enough dose to be effective; at least, I do.)

I strongly encourage you to explore exercise, acupuncture, breathing methods, herbal remedies, and all kinds of "alternative therapies" even if you ARE on a prescribed mood stabilizer (just be careful of drug interactions), though, because one pill from the doctor alone is NOT going to be enough. You have to change your lifestyle. It took me years to realize this.

Therapy helps, too. But, for me, yoga and natural remedies are the way to go. Nothing has ever just been like "WOW! I FEEL TOTALLY NORMAL NOW! YAY!" But there are ways to lessen your severe episodes of depression/anxiety/mania.

I could go on and on about this, but I hope you find some relief! Ask me any specific thing you're curious about and I'd be glad to answer!