30 day shred (lack of) progress pic

Options
11388247_1325.jpg11388247_8974.jpg

This is day 2 vs day 24 (which was today). I see virtually no difference. While that irritates me, I do feel a lot stronger so it hasn't been a waste of time at all. I feel better about myself and I can lift and do things that I couldn't before. I just wish there were more of a difference appearance wise. I didn't measure inches, but I have lost no weight, not even a pound. Am I the only one out there who has had such little change regarding looks with this program?

I did try to stick to my calories and while my food wasn't always healthy, I did pretty well most of the time. I think I may have gone over my calories 3 or 4 times the whole time I've been doing the shred.

Replies

• sunshine1992
    sunshine1992 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The shred is primarily designed to get weight off, which it doesn't look like you need. I think the reason why a lot of people look a lot stronger after doing the shred is because they have lost fat, allowing their muscles to be more visible.

Coupled with the fact it is quite hard to build any significant muscle at a calorie deficit, that might be why you aren't seeing too many physical changes. I noticed too you are a vego, so keep a close eye on your protein and try and get it through other non-meat sources, this is important in building muscle.

I would suggest maybe try something with heavier weights? P90X and Insanity are pretty popular around here, and the seem to be fairly intense.

Goodluck :)
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Insanity next week and hoping to see more results from it. :) I am not really looking to lose weight, I just want to have more muscle so I probably do need to work on upping my protein. I've ordered a veg protein powder online and plan on incorporating that and seeing how things go.

Thanks for your reply, it was very well thought out and nice!
  • flowergirl73
    flowergirl73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When I did the Shred in July I didn't lose any weight and felt like I didn't see much difference. However, I lost 5.5" when it was all said and done.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Your stomach looks flatter, so I wouldn't say it was a waste. I think you should go with weights if you're wanting more muscle definition.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Insanity next week and hoping to see more results from it. :) I am not really looking to lose weight, I just want to have more muscle so I probably do need to work on upping my protein. I've ordered a veg protein powder online and plan on incorporating that and seeing how things go.

Thanks for your reply, it was very well thought out and nice!

If that is your goal, Insanity is not the program for you. Insanity is a cardio based program with minimal strength training using body weight. If you want the benefits of more muscle you need:
    Adequate protein intake,
    A caloric surplus,
    A heavy lifting strength training routine.

Insanity will help you burn some more cals, which in a deficit will result in the loss of fat and the loss of some lean muscle (unless you get enough protein, calories, and do strength training on the side)
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Personally I notice that it looks like your tummy is smaller.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I can tell a difference in your stomach, it does look a bit flatter, not like you had much that need to be gone anyway. I'm a vego too and I struggle with getting a good amount of protein even though I love eggs, drink a protein shake everyday, eat a clif bar, and try to use black beans as much as possible. I think you'll enjoy insanity much better (the results, maybe not the insane workout lol) from what I've heard.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Personally I notice that it looks like your tummy is smaller.

AGREED
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for nearly 3 weeks and haven't lost weight or inches, really frustrating. However, I am aware that I am much stronger now- the first day I couldn't even do one of the easy option push-ups but they're easy now. When all's said and done though, I was hoping for weight loss and inch reduction.........:cry:
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    PS Just looked at your photos again and your tummy definitely looks flatter!!! x
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    lift weights and eat 1g of protein per pound. but mostly the weights.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think you're belly button looks more defined.. I vote that you look tighter in your abs.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Insanity is not going to give you muscle definition. If you are looking to gain muscle then I'd suggest you start a lifting program. There are plenty out there. I'm currently doing New Rules of Lifting for Woman to gain muscle as well, I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm using it to gain muscle and decrease my body fat. I did Insanity, and it did help me lose weight. I was smaller but soft, so that's why I've started a weight training program.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I echo erickirb: If you want to increase lean body mass (muscle), you need to eat at a surplus with adequate protein intake and engage in moderate to heavy weight training. This is what's going to reshape the curves of your body, not cardio on a deficit.

Check this link by Lyle McDonald on building muscle on and setting a surplus appropriate for you:

Key points:
    1)Women can gain about 1 lb of actual muscle per month. An acceptable fat-to-muscle gain ratio in pounds is 1:1.
    2)Women, like men, will get more favorable results at less body fat: between 19-24% if possible or lower.
    3)Set an upper body fat percentage limit which will end the gaining cycle, at most 24-27%.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ahh thank you all so much for the advice and tummy comments ha maybe there is hope for me.

I am pretty happy at the weight I'm at now but more muscle is a must as I think I'm 'soft' in places. I have been trying to up my protein lately and I'll continue to increase it more, still waiting on my protein powder. I'll confess that I really had no clue before now how to go about lifting but I think I'm going to hold off on Insanity and look into weights more thanks to some of the posts here.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    If you're looking for muscle and liked the way she ran 30DS, you can try Six-Week Six-Pack (I think that's what it's called), also by Jillian. That's more core-based and I assume more muscle definition would come out of that one than 30 Day Shred.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am currently on day 3 of Brazil Butt LIft. It's hard and is supposed to really tone and lift your behind. I would LOVE to get my hands on Les Mills Pump. That is supposed to be an awesome stength training video.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Mistake 1 - I didn't measure inches,
    Mistake 2 - (depending on how badly you went over) I did pretty well most of the time. I think I may have gone over my calories 3 or 4 times the whole time I've been doing the shred.