Can't believe it!

Options
I work at the school 3x a week. It involves moving and lifting heavy tables and chairs from one room to another then back again after I finish working, in between that I rush around helping kids etc then patrol the playground constantly walking.
Today I wore my HRM and it said I burned 197 cals in two hours!

I don't log it though :wink:

Just surprised it was so much

Replies

• xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    wow!! working out and u didnt even know it! cant wait to get a hrm!! x
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the company I work for I was a temp doing a research project. I spent 3 month pulling banker boxes down off storage shelves that went to the ceiling. I was too shy to ask for help so I climbed those shelves myself and carried the boxes up and down myself. Then I also would have to walk back and forth between 3 different offices to use copy machines all day long. I lost 35 lbs in that 3 mths. Ahhh but then they hired me full time for a payroll position and thus began was my mother used to refer to as the "secretarial spread".
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the company I work for I was a temp doing a research project. I spent 3 month pulling banker boxes down off storage shelves that went to the ceiling. I was too shy to ask for help so I climbed those shelves myself and carried the boxes up and down myself. Then I also would have to walk back and forth between 3 different offices to use copy machines all day long. I lost 35 lbs in that 3 mths. Ahhh but then they hired me full time for a payroll position and thus began was my mother used to refer to as the "secretarial spread".

Great job on losing the 35 pounds in three months!! I definitely have accquired the "secretarial spread" with my job as well--never heard it called that before!!!! Had to chuckle at the name...but not what it really means!

Have a great day!

:flowerforyou:
    Brenda
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Women burn on average about 85 calories an hour just existing. That's how you get to an average calorie intake of 2000 a day for women! You actually burned about 27 calories extra! It all helps though :-)
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    wow!! working out and u didnt even know it! cant wait to get a hrm!! x

I really like my HRM also, but personally - I only wear it when I'm "formally working-out". I figure that I ended-up gaining the weight, then subsequently losing the weight using the caloric guidelines that MFP suggests (so I think MPFs BMR calculations are pretty-much spot-on!). I burn-off what "I lose in exercising", but this is the only adjustment that I use when altering the guidelines that MFP offers.

I'm not sure about monitoring myself (fitbit-style) 24/7 - I'm already obsessive when it comes to monitoring my "formal workouts", 24/7 monitoring may just as likely send me to the nuthouse than inform me!! :-)

The HRM is really interesting, in that my typical running workout (10 min warmup walk/5K run/10 min cooldown) yields wildly different calorie burn, depending on my route, my workout intensity and the wind speed. It's amazing how much terrain & wind speed change the workout!

You definatel WILL like the HRM - best of luck!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Women burn on average about 85 calories an hour just existing. That's how you get to an average calorie intake of 2000 a day for women! You actually burned about 27 calories extra! It all helps though :-)

This concept just recently dawned on me actually. Say I work out for an hour and burn 400 calories. If I had stayed sitting at my desk for that hour, I still would have burned in the 60 range (what I figured out for me personally). So, starting last week I've started dropping my calorie burn (according to my HRM) by a calorie a minute. Figure I would rather be on the low side although I guess in the grand scheme it's not that big of a deal.

As for OP, I totally get what you're saying. I love when I realize that something I did just contributes to the active lifestyle I want to live even if it's not formally tracked calories. It's a great way to stay healthy!