Want to start weight training but don't know where to start

Options
Hi All,

I want to start weight training but I don't know where to start. I want to do it on my own, no gym membership. Can anyone direct me to a good website that show routines and how many reps to do? Do you need cardio on days you weight train as well? I do workouts like 30DS and Ripped in 30 is that good enough to just build lean muscle? Thanks a lot!

Replies

• angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com :happy:
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, get JEFIT app, they have a free version for Androids and a paid. It's pretty cool and has animated depictions of the exercises and you can look them up by muscle group, you can log your workouts, setup routines, etc. If you are just getting started, and you can afford it, getting a personal trainer can go a long way with making you feel more comfortable lifting and by showing you proper form. If not, maybe you can find a workout buddy in your area here that can help you out.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com... start there, read all articles
  • 78Octane
    Options
    For working out at home, I think www.scoobysworkshop.com is a pretty good site with some good information.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    New Rules for Lifting series. Awesome books. A lot of bodyweight work, which is where you should think about starting to condition your core muscles for when you start lifting heavier.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com... start there, read all articles

I love bodybuilding.com . You can go there, click on find a plan it will ask you your sex, age and if you want to build muscle or lose weight, then it will give you a number of plans to choose from. I basically follow Jim Stoppani and do all of his programs etc. The site is full of good info.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great advice!
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • vogt4mat
    vogt4mat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have posted this before (that's how I found it), but Stronglifts 5x5 is pretty good. I'm about 6 weeks in and my results have been amazing. I've been surprised how well it actually works.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Power 90
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    New Rules for Lifting series. Awesome books. A lot of bodyweight work, which is where you should think about starting to condition your core muscles for when you start lifting heavier.

^^^THIS! I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women and LOVE it!
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started with this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0fJ2lu0Er8&feature=channel&list=UL
    and then adapted it for me after reading lots and seeking advice. Good luck
  • brvzfan13
    brvzfan13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, get JEFIT app, they have a free version for Androids and a paid. It's pretty cool and has animated depictions of the exercises and you can look them up by muscle group, you can log your workouts, setup routines, etc. If you are just getting started, and you can afford it, getting a personal trainer can go a long way with making you feel more comfortable lifting and by showing you proper form. If not, maybe you can find a workout buddy in your area here that can help you out.

Just saw your post and immediately decided to check the app out. Wow! Thanks for sharing. I have already set up a quick routine. I am not into bulk or trying to build bulk, but I loved that it shows you form, etc. And, the best part is picking the muscle you wish to work. Fantastic. :-)
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    you could start with Starting Strength! :)
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In sum:

(1) Deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, bent over rows, push-ups, pull-ups, and dips; and

(2) Anaerobic cardio like 200 meter sprint-walk intervals.

For the average person looking to increase strength and improve his or her appearance, 3 sets of each lift with a weight that is challenging at 7 repetitions should do it.

You could do (1) M, W, F; and (2) T, Th, Sat.

You can find countless videos of skilled people performing each of these exercises on Youtube and other places.
  • QueenCrisis
    Options
    Someone may have already mentioned Flexonline.com, but its where my man gets most of his info. n.n