sugar numbers and weight loss

Options
Im going to be WAY over on my sugars today -- and nowhere near on everything else(even calories -ugh) ...I was reviewing my day because this doesnt seem right - i mean if I ate a brownie I would understand but I didnt - anyway Im over because of a chai tea I had this afternoon that was made from skim milk. Thoughts? I dont drink coffee or soda or anything besides water so 1 or 2 times a week I treat myself to a "sugar free" chai. I cant give everything up - but it kills my sugar numbers.
Now, Im not a diabetic and dont really know how the sugar numbers in this case would effect weight loss?
any ideas?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    If its coming from fruits and natural sugars you are ok! :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • CareyT
    CareyT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Commercially processed chai (like the ones from a coffee shop) is a mix of black tea, spices, and plain white sugar. Yes, a 12 or 16 ounce chai can probably have as much sugar as a small brownie since milk has sugars in it as well.

I also have a hard time watching the sugars and staying out of coffee shops, but my best advice would be to buy a spicy chai tea in the tea section and add your own skim milk and healthy sweetner. There are lots of healthy natural sweetners including Stevia and Agave nectar which will make the drink nice and sweet without a lot of calories and zero refined sugar.

Or, you could save sugar calories from one day to the next and have a chai every third day with the saved sugars. You could get an 8 ounce to minimize the damage. You could get an herbal tea every other time until you're feeling like you deserve a splurge.

Good luck.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    it depends on where these sugars are coming from.
    sugar is a tricky thing to stay within the limits of because its in absolutely everything.
    just try to limit the amount of refined sugar in your diet (note i said limit, not cut out)
    if most of your sugar is coming from healthy sources such as fruits and milk, than you should be ok.
  • ractayjon
    Options
    Commercially processed chai (like the ones from a coffee shop) is a mix of black tea, spices, and plain white sugar. Yes, a 12 or 16 ounce chai can probably have as much sugar as a small brownie since milk has sugars in it as well.

I also have a hard time watching the sugars and staying out of coffee shops, but my best advice would be to buy a spicy chai tea in the tea section and add your own skim milk and healthy sweetner. There are lots of healthy natural sweetners including Stevia and Agave nectar which will make the drink nice and sweet without a lot of calories and zero refined sugar.

Or, you could save sugar calories from one day to the next and have a chai every third day with the saved sugars. You could get an 8 ounce to minimize the damage. You could get an herbal tea every other time until you're feeling like you deserve a splurge.

the particular kind I use is black tea and spices...there is no sugar in it (it is a sugar free version of the regular chai), Iknow this for a faact since Ihave a canister of it at home, it does have sucralose but that is a whole different subject (one thing at a time :wink: ) The sugar has all come from the skim milk - they use 12 oz of skim milk and the chai mix to steam and froth the tea.
    I guess what my major concern is - is that all this sugar is coming from 1 (12 oz) of milk??? Is that natural sugars (the ones that people say are ok to have), I know it isnt refined like in cookies...Im just confused as to how to manage to get my calcium not go over in my sugars watch my fat blah blah blah...its so confusing!
    I like the idea of "saving" my sugar amounts to stil be able to enjoy the drink....the small is the 12 oz, I dont think I could go in and ask for them to fill the cup 3/4? but, maybe...
    Thanks for the thoughts!! :drinker:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    You need to have dairy. If you are really not having added sugar in the tea, then 12oz of skim milk contains 18g of sugar. That isn't going to put you over in sugars.

You can have up to 40g of ADDED sugars according to the latest recommendations.(Like sugar and brown sugar and honey and agave and molasses and HFCS and maple syrup etc.)

I never count my natural sugars from complex or semi complex carbs like milk or whole fruit.

go to this article for more:

http://www.acu-cell.com/gi.html