Any single moms out there trying to get healthy?

Options

Replies

• misskmw1201
    Options
    My daughter is 9 and very active however starting to pick up som of my lazy food habits, like mum can't be bothered cooking after work or it's the weekend let's eat junk and crap. I really want to set her up with good habits and foster a love of healthy foods. We've been doing the supermarket shopping; cooking together and packing the same lunch boxes and it's been a great activity to do together. Hopefully I can keep on track and soon heathy food and nutrition will be just a way of life for both of us.

Please feel free to add me anyone and we can chat and motivate each other :-)
  • saraifoss
    Options
    Soon to be single mom of 3, 9 yr old boy, 4 yr old boy, and a 15 month old girl. I will add you as a friend as I need friends as well.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    single mom of a 6 year old boy, trying to get healthy because i can't blame the weight on "just having a baby" anymore. :smile:
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom to a giant teenage boy who is not even slightly active. I am finding it hard to motivate him to get moving and to eat the healthier options in the house (and then complains that there's nothing to eat because there aren't very many crappy snacks).

Feel free to add me :)

I'm lucky that way. My son (10 years old) is VERY active, actually likes his veggies, and has been a great exercise buddy for me. :smile:

That's awesome! I tend to prefer working out on my own anyway so I don't need a whiny teenager weighing me down. He HAS expressed an interest in Boxing so I have to get moving on looking in to that before the interest disappears.

The good thing is that, even though his snacks are still pretty crappy (doesn't tempt me at all to have them in the house), he's been really good at accepting the healthier meals I've been making and has enjoyed most of them.
  • Struelove1
    Struelove1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    im a single mother of 3 daughters, one has already left the nest. I joined here as a desperate action to save my life. i am over weight but more so i have been diagnosed diabetic and have extremely bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels. my health is so out of control right now that my doctor will not allow me to have a foot surgery, she claims i wont make it off the table. But my oldest daughter led me to this place and although this is my 2nd week IT IS WORKING. And even better my doctor uses this site.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of two- 9 and 6. I've been using MFP for about three months and I'm almost half way to my goal!
  • kpye2011
    kpye2011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom with 2 daughters 13 and 7.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of 2. My daughter (12) and I spend 4 nights a week at the gym together and I started having her help prepare meals that are healthier. We still eat everything but have started being more aware of what we are putting in our bodies and how it makes us feel. Did it give you energy? Did that energy stay with you? And what not. My son (18) is pretty unmotivated right now but also just graduated High School so a little lost. Poor baby!

Feel free to add me as a friend! We have got this!! :happy: :drinker:
  • Njohnson46
    Options
    Hi....I'm a single mom of three daughter's 23,17 and 8. My oldest two are somewhat athletic but my youngest daughter unfortunately is overweight and gets picked on because of it. I too am overweight needed to get healthy and I made the decision to start (albeit baby steps) to make a change for my youngest daughter and myself. At the beginning we took time out and played basketball or kickball. We also would blast music in the house and just dance until we would get tired. Eventually I took a huge step and joined a gym and spoke with a personal trainer who put a schedule together for me. I work out at the gym Mon-Wed and Fridays and me and my daughter do fun things that make us sweat Tuesday - Thursday and Saturday's. It's a slow process but in the end you'll benefit. Also changing our eating habits is a must. We both have a sweet tooth and we are emotional eaters so that is a feat that is being worked on now. The fact that you want to do this is a huge step...congrats and keep pushing!
  • Oh_Em_Jayyy
    Oh_Em_Jayyy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Single mom of 2 boys, ages 6 and 3. Too old to blame it on "baby weight" anymore! Feel free to add me!
  • msflores75
    Options
    Hi, I am a single Mom of 3. I just started on here. Today is day 6 for me. I am trying to learn to eat healthy and I am trying to fit in some exercise between 3 jobs....yikes!! I have lost 2 lbs so far.
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Single mom of 3 (2 boys and a girl) ages 3, 6, 8...

I've 4 main goals:
    1. To be able to keep up with my kids on all fronts.
    2. To set the mold for my sons of a woman, wife, & lady to use in the future when they begin seeking out their future wives. Hopefully, not for another 25+ yrs. LOL
    3. To give my daughter an image to strive for as she grows into becoming a lady, woman, & wife.
    lastly 4. To be a woman, wife, & lady that any man would be proud to lay claim to.

I am "single" as in rolling solo as my husband and I are apart. Though we are apart, I still carry on as a married woman because I am, just not with the benefit of having a supportive husband in my home.

:blushing:
  • chriscruz2
    chriscruz2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...single mom here of two girls ages 12 and 10. Looking forward to this new adventure in my life. Best of luck to you all.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm an SMC (single mother by choice) of two gorgeous girls (6 yrs old and 10 mos). I'm really lucky because I have a lot of help around the house (I live in Colombia where it's less expensive) so I do have time to exercise but I'm pretty tired after working all day and I try and make sure that I spend good quality time with my girls in the evenings. I have a trail-a-bike so my six year old and I sometimes go on long rides on Sunday mornings or I'll go for a run by myself. The challenge is to keep myself eating healthy because there's so much temptation and lots of social eating all around.

I'm looking for friends too so please friend me if you're interested.

Rachel
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    right here! My son is 9 but my parents adopted a teen sister and it's a big deal for me to be a role model for her as far as health image is concerned. She loves going to Zumba class with me and we even practice our moves at home. That's something you can definitely do that your girls can relate to.
  • Bonnyr1971
    Options
    I am a single mom and I am trying to become healthy. I have 3 kids and my youngest is 17 months. We can do this :)
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    all of you who say you have grown or teen daughters certainly don't look old enough! I'm always up for more friends here so feel free to add me as well
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    Single mom... I love the fact that we are both getting healthy :) He rides his bike I jog next to him. I work out .... he watches and gets involved also... He loves doing planks and he pushes me... we count for each other... Its really is great knowing I am giving and showing him what he needs to do live a healthy life. My favorite is when he begs for salmon and brussel sprouts for dinner!!!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Mom of an 8 month old baby boy. I didn't gain too much with my pregnancy, and thankfully already lost it. Now I'm trying like hell to lose the extra 10 lbs i had before I got pregnant! (I kinda let myself go after I got married, my husband is suuuuuuuch a good cook, damn him! :grumble: )
  • FireballStrike
    Options
    I am a single mom of 3 teenagers, who are all in different stages of teenagehood -- this qualifies me as having temporary insanity. Making sure I find time for workouts, even if it's for a couple of laps around the block, is super important. It took some time, but the kiddos have noticed my change in habits and have started to hike and go to the gym with me. So excited that I'm an influence for good health and wish I would have started when they were younger.

You can do this! Good luck to you! :flowerforyou: