Has anyone tried a appetite suppressant??

Options
I have tried just about every diet out there....during my quests in my life to lose weight. Adkins, Southbeach, weight watchers, Alli, slimfast, hydroxy cut, fat smash, slim quick.....just to say there is no get skinny quick diet or pill. I cant says that I did not lose some weight on these...but never the results that I wanted...I am not at all saying that these will not work. This was just my experience...and i think that it had more to do with my actions...my eating habits...and excercise habits...But anyhow...the wnd of lase year my mother who is on a weight loss quest as well... started seeing a family dr here where i live for weight loss. He started giving her an appetite suppressant (Phentermine) to be taken once a day.. along with 1200 calorie diet and regular excercise regimen. I started seeing pounds just melt off of her... She says she feels great...and shes looking good...kind of jelous.Considering going to the Dr. myself. What is everyones thoughts??

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Phentermine is only approved by the FDA for "a few weeks". Just keep in mind that it's not for long term use.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm180078.htm
  • jlgarcia85631
    jlgarcia85631 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I belive the dr has 6 months on then you have to be off for 4 months I think....
  • alyssa150
    alyssa150 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I saw i weight loss doctor last april and were prescribed some meds for losing weight and took them for about 2-3 months and lost about 40 pounds and even after being off the meds, i didn't gain one pound back but i still exersice regular(cardio and weight training) and try to eat as healthy as possible. They woked for me. I guess my my point is they do help boost your weight loss but if you don't continue your good habits when the meds are gone you will proable gain weight back. I would not recommed using long term just as a short jump start. Hope that helps.
  • iamalexa
    Options
    I ask my doctor about weight loss pills and wouldnt give me a prescription one because im not "that" overweight, but he did reccomend Alli. I used that and it works good. The side effects are quite nasty as to you do get rid of all the bad fats that you put into your body. But it also helps with bowel movements if you have problems with that? I dunno what your looking for but I would recommend it! Helped me lose a little extra while i was on it.
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used phentermine a few years ago and LOVED IT. I was only on it for two months but the first month I was on it I lost 13 lbs and the second month I lost 7 lbs. I stopped taking it because I hit my goal weight! I tried using it last summer but it gave me a horrible migraine every time I took it so I had to stop but I kept the weight off for a good 5 years after I stopped taking it.
  • iamalexa
    Options
    I ask my doctor about weight loss pills and wouldnt give me a prescription one because im not "that" overweight, but he did reccomend Alli. I used that and it works good. The side effects are quite nasty as to you do get rid of all the bad fats that you put into your body. But it also helps with bowel movements if you have problems with that? I dunno what your looking for but I would recommend it! Helped me lose a little extra while i was on it.

Oh gosh!! So sorry, I didn't read correctly and you have already tried this. Sorry sorry!
  • kparks84
    Options
    I work for a doctor who does a medical weight loss program and he has me on Phentermine and several vitamin supplements. If you use the medicine the right way, it really does work. The phentermine in combination with healthy eating and exercise can help with faster weight loss. I have been doing it for almost 4 weeks now and we weigh in weekly. By my three week weigh in I had lost a total of 17 pounds. I think it's worth talking to the doctor about for sure.

527766.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I started loosing weight in Jan. of 2009. I lost the first 25 of my weight on my own from Jan until May and then I stopped because I couldn't seem to loose anymore, plus I was going thru adjustments at work. Even when eating "right" I still had a huge appetite, I could eat and eat and eat. I think my stomach was stretched out from gorging myself for years. So I finally gave in and went to our local weight loss doctor.

So now since Dec I've been on Phentermine. I love it, and I don't feel guily for using it. It helps me control my hunger.
    I also don't feel guilty because I'm using it the right way partially in thanks to this sight. I don't take my pill not eat all day, not excercise and then eat a cheeseburger for supper.

I take my pill, eat my good foods and small portions, and I work my butt off excercising 5 days a week, because I want to be athletic and I want to be toned.

At my most recent check up the doctors and nurses we're extremely pleased and impressed with how good I'm doing.

I'm pro phentermine all the way, as long as you have an EKG first, your lab work done, and get it from a doctor you see (don't order online), and do it the way it's meant to be done with diet and excercise. People who take it just need to remember that the pill won't do it alone, and you won't have the pill forever. It is still a lifestyle change.

GO PHENTERMINE!

and sorry for going on and on