Embarrassing question... for women only

Options
I have lost weight since after having my son in 2009. I've been on and off the program, but as a general rule, haven't ever gained back large amounts of weight, my eating has improved drastically and I rarely eat highly processed food. I've lost around 56 lbs total now. My breast size has stayed the same, regardless of the 56 lb weight loss. I'm now less than 30 lbs away from my goal weight and I'm just not seeing a difference in cup size. I'm a D/DD and while I've gone from a 40 down to most of the time to a 36/34, I still have the problem of these. I hit puberty at 10 and was always busty, so I'm guessing this might just be mammary tissue and not fat, or could I still possibly lose a cup size or two over the next 25 lbs?

I'm a runner and shopping for decent jogging bras is the worst thing in the world. I'm just so annoyed. I am finally into the single digits in pants and into medium shirts most of the time, but I look so freaking top heavy. I've lost a ton of weight in my midsection and don't really have a tummy. I do carry some fat in my upper arms and back and that seems to be the area I carry the most weight now. My husband isn't complaining, but there comes a point when you start looking so disproportional it looks weird. I'm just afraid I'm going to get down to 135 or 140 and not have gotten anywhere with reducing the top half. Please, if you've been in my situation and have seen changes the closer you get to goal, or if you would recommend looking into a breast reduction, let me know.

Replies

• fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My initial weight loss was 30lbs and I saw NO change. I am a 36H and I've found 2 sports bras that I like. I now only have to use 1 bra while I ride or run.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm not a woman but can I respond? Everyone has their last place they lose fat based on genetics. Perhaps yours is your breasts.
  • mommyslilmen
    mommyslilmen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My initial weight loss was 30lbs and I saw NO change. I am a 36H and I've found 2 sports bras that I like. I now only have to use 1 bra while I ride or run.

What kind of bra do you like? Where do you get them? I think I'm a 40H and would love to get a bra and a sports bra that work. I've been currently wearing a 40DD, but recently did a bra fitter calculator and it says I'm a 40H. I just want to be supported and not feel like I'm sagging so much. I am hoping with my 50 lbs I need to lose, that by the end I will be smaller in the chest so I feel more comfortable to start running, but if I can find the right bra, maybe I can start running sooner. Thanks!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I use a moving comfort bra with underwire and it's fantastic. I lose off my breasts last, I guess it's just the way my body fat is distributed. I've gone down a cup size in 30lbs, more so because of the band size.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of good things about moving comfort....also, have you looked at the Title IX catalogue?? They have a whole section of sports bras rated by how much they hold you down and they have a special section specifically for larger breasted women. They aren't cute, but apparently they REALLY work.
  • sunnygirl19
    sunnygirl19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, I am also a top heavy woman. I always have been regardless of how much I have weighed. I am also a runner and its not easy. There is a running bra designed for bigger breasted women that was featured on The Doctors. This is a link to that website. http://www.natori.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ISC_Category=NatoriBra_Sport&ISC_ParentCategory=Bras&ISC_SubCategory=BrasSport

I recently went and got a reduction and let me tell you…..BEST DECISION I EVER MADE!!!!!!!!! Seriously love having a smaller chest. I can buy bra’s that are on sale! I can run with moderate support. I can wear tops that would have been a “no-no” before!! If you need more info on the experience, private message me and I would love to share. I have 3 kids and made the decision after I had my last one. Best of luck!
    v
  • merd0210
    merd0210 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have lost just 22 lbs and went from a D to just about a B after the first 15 (which is a little frustrating cuz I kinda liked my boobs and paying for new bras stink). However I am about 5 lbs from my goal and now just hold it in my gut and have not lost anymore in the boob area. I think everyone looses it in different places at different times in there journey, your last place to lose may just be your boobs where mine is my gut.
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize, I just currently lost 87 pounds, and that was the last place it came off. I am still a 40 dd and I weight 145 and I am 5'7. I am currently down to a medium compression sports bra, that I get at a local sports store, but they are champion and they work great for me. I get a large. I also run, and can't complain about any issues with these bras. Keep working at it, and I am sure you will see a change. I know for me starting to work a little more on my upper body did help with "firming and lifting"
    Good luck!
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    I have quite a few friends that went the route of a breast reduction, and they never regretted their decision.
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    this may mean that your breasts are made up of purely 'breast tissue' and not 'fat' alot of people have alot of fat in their breasts so when they loose weight they loose that fat. i no this as i worked alongside a breast surgeon for 8 years :)
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll probably get alot of response from what I'm going to say. You said that you carry your weight on your back and top areas? Try strength training to burn the fat. I don't think you'll gain in the breasts, you'll burn off the fat as you develop better toning.
    Might want to try that.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that breasts are made of 3 types of tissue: fiber, mamary glands and fat. Every woman has a different proportion and if your breasts are mainly fiber or glands, they aren't going to shrink much. A good doctor should be able to tell you with a breast exam. If you end up not having a lot of fat, you'll need to decide for you what you want to do. If your breast size isn't causing you physical problems, it's doubtful that your insurance will pay for a reduction procedure.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    If you've always been a rather busty girl than chances are you're not going to see much of a loss in your chest. Most women (I know not all which is why I say most) usually lose in their breasts first because they bounce more while working out. I just had a reduction (an F to a C). My surgeon said that my breasts were very glandular (which she confirmed after doing the surgery itself). Do your breasts feel pretty dense? Usually when you're breasts are gladular instead of fatty they feel much heavier and much more dense. If a reduction is something you've been considering then a consultation couldn't hurt for now to see what your options are. I can say that I am truly happy I did it. :)
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain...quite literally. I am 37, had a hysterectomy in Feb. and am ready to move on to the next stage in my life. I have always wanted a breast reduction. For me that is my reward! I had a consultation a few weeks ago and was told I am a perfect candidate. I am awaiting insurance approval (fingers crossed, please). I buy a DDD but am overflowing in it and usually wear a tank over it to try to hide the bulge. Also, one is larger than the other, especially after breastfeeding. I want to be proportionate. I am 5'4" in the high 170's (about 20-25# above my usual). I gained all of that in the past year with the hysterectomy, hormone replacements, thyroid meds and antidepressant. (not my best year lol). So my inspiration... my goal.... my reward is that I will have the breast reduction!! I am more than a pair of big boobs! :-) In the meantime I suggest you get fitted for a sports bra (not victorias secret... they have nothing for us). I went to a store called Fleets Feet. It is a Shoe store primarily, but they specialize in fitness. (I am in Ohio) but google it and see where else it is. I couldn't be more pleased to get the right fit!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, everyone loses fat in different areas first/last. For me, I lose weight in my chest first and my butt last. Since you've always been busty and you've had a child, it's possible your breasts will remain that size. Most people I know gained a permanent cup size after having children.

Once you get to your goal weight, if your breasts haven't changed and you're truly unhappy with them, you might want to consider a reduction. It sounds like they really bother you. A couple of my friends have had reductions done and are really happy. Depending on how much they remove, your insurance might cover most/all of it.

If you plan on having more children and nursing soon, then definitely wait.

In the meantime, you can try some sculpting exercises that focus on the upper body. While you can't spot-reduce fat, you can help shape and build the pectoral muscles (to help support them) and your back muscles (for even more support). This might also change the shape of your breasts a little, as the weight will be distributed a bit differently due to the muscle support/tone.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight since after having my son in 2009. I've been on and off the program, but as a general rule, haven't ever gained back large amounts of weight, my eating has improved drastically and I rarely eat highly processed food. I've lost around 56 lbs total now. My breast size has stayed the same, regardless of the 56 lb weight loss. I'm now less than 30 lbs away from my goal weight and I'm just not seeing a difference in cup size. I'm a D/DD and while I've gone from a 40 down to most of the time to a 36/34, I still have the problem of these. I hit puberty at 10 and was always busty, so I'm guessing this might just be mammary tissue and not fat, or could I still possibly lose a cup size or two over the next 25 lbs?

I'm a runner and shopping for decent jogging bras is the worst thing in the world. I'm just so annoyed. I am finally into the single digits in pants and into medium shirts most of the time, but I look so freaking top heavy. I've lost a ton of weight in my midsection and don't really have a tummy. I do carry some fat in my upper arms and back and that seems to be the area I carry the most weight now. My husband isn't complaining, but there comes a point when you start looking so disproportional it looks weird. I'm just afraid I'm going to get down to 135 or 140 and not have gotten anywhere with reducing the top half. Please, if you've been in my situation and have seen changes the closer you get to goal, or if you would recommend looking into a breast reduction, let me know.

I was still bigger up there when I first hit the single digits in sizes, but as I got down to size 4 the fat up there dropped drastically and now I am down to almost nothing. LOL all those padded bras that I hated when I was big are now my friend. :)

Be happy because as you keep losing you will be glad you have something. I have almost nothing. It's funny because when I first started this weight loss goal I thought I would be happy at a size 8. But the workout I found set my goals to the golden ratio (http://www.webefit.com/articles_200-299/article_208_GoldenRatio.html). That link is not related to my workout, but it explains what the golden ratio is. By realizing my ideal would be the golden ratio and that all of us are designed to be this when the fat is gone (that is why artists use this ratio) I pushed myself harder to lose the fat and build more muscle. This got me to a size 2-4. My point with this is don't limit yourself like I almost did! And be happy if you have something up there because you will lose some of it when you keep going on this journey.
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you've always been a rather busty girl than chances are you're not going to see much of a loss in your chest. Most women (I know not all which is why I say most) usually lose in their breasts first because they bounce more while working out. I just had a reduction (an F to a C). My surgeon said that my breasts were very glandular (which she confirmed after doing the surgery itself). Do your breasts feel pretty dense? Usually when you're breasts are gladular instead of fatty they feel much heavier and much more dense. If a reduction is something you've been considering then a consultation couldn't hurt for now to see what your options are. I can say that I am truly happy I did it. :)
    I would love to hear more about your reduction! Pain, scars, how long it took to get back to your normal routine, etc. I am anticipating having mine done before the end of the year. I am pending insurance approval at this time.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have lost 114 pounds since April of 2011. When I began losing weight, I saw no change in my breasts for at least the first 55 pounds! Then one morning... BAM! They were gone. I went from a 42 DDD to now, a 34 D (but they don't look like D's at all)
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I know a couple people who have had reduction surgery and it can be a great thing.

I would wait until you are at your goal weight and are comfortable maintaining. Then you'll know where you really are.

Sort of related- I had a good friend who was very lopsided as a teenager. One side was a D cup the other a B. She was extremely self conscious about it and gained a lot of weight from binge eating due being insecure and self conscious.

Finally, she decided to get an implant on the small side so she'd match.

She did, and it really helped her self esteem and confidence, so much so that she lost about 100. Well guess what... The side that had been big and didn't get the implant was now a B cup, so she was lopsided again.

She ended up getting new implants in both sides, because with the weight loss the first implant wasn't really the right shape for her new build.

She says if she'd known, she would have just lost the darn weight, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I need pics.